10k bonus point rooms - good value, but are points elite qualifying?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by jaw_24, Jan 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been pondering a few properties lately that have a 10k bonus point option, usually for about $30-$40 more than the flexible rate. I tend to value PC points much more than this, so it is a great deal IMO. It looks like it is very property specific, and the points are manually transferred by the property after your stay (at least according to the rate description).

I'm assuming these bonus points count toward elite status just as the 1k/3k bonuses do, but does anyone have experience with this since they apparently aren't a standardized PC bonus?

2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    All points from all sources are elite qualifying.

KathInJax, wheat27 and alohastephen like this.
  3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been looking for that documented somewhere. I've read that those 'purchased' via miles and points don't count.

KathInJax, wheat27 and alohastephen like this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure what you mean,purchased via miles and points?

All points that you earn from stays bonus or otherwise count. In addition, points earned via Top Guest, cc spend, etc count.

KathInJax and wheat27 like this.
  5. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only ones that do not count toward the status are points bought via redemption with points+cash (i.e., to $60 for 10K or $40 for 5K points you can buy when you redeem are not status points). All other points count.

KathInJax, wheat27 and TheBeerHunter like this.
  6. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's what I meant instead of miles and points.

KathInJax, wheat27 and TheBeerHunter like this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Considering regular PC status isn't worth much anyway, it's kind of baffling why they choose to do this level of blocking!

KathInJax likes this.
  8. overhead

overhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got credited for the 10k bonus and not only did it count towards elite status, but so did the extra 50% (5k) bonus that they added for being a Platinum!

Skypath and KathInJax like this.
  9. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were lucky. The Platinum bonus is not supposed to be applied to the bonus points (and certainly never have been for me)

Jeff

10. overhead

overhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    It did seem kind of odd that they gave me the platinum bonus on top of the 10k bonus, but since this was the first time I've gotten this type of PC bonus, I thought maybe it was normal. Now I have to decide whether to try to give the extra points back.:eek:

11. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen any 10k bonus points promo, all I have seen is 1k bonus pts for some rates. Could you please tell me where I could find the 10k bonus pts promo?

KathInJax likes this.
  12. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to find the specific hotel. Here are the few that I have found:

Holiday Inn Anaheim - 10,000 bonus pts per night
    Z Ocean hotel 10,000 points for a minimum 2 night stay (not worth it)
    Holiday Inn Frederick, Md 10,000 pts per stay
    Holiday Inn Charleston-Mt Pleasant 10,000 points per stay
    Holiday Inn Silver Springs 10,000 pts per stay
    Holiday Inn San Clemente North 10,000 pts per stay

Since I fund all of my travel, if I can get the bonus point package for the same price or less than the cash & points trick, I usually purchase it.

The Silver Springs Holiday Inn gave me 2 5,000 point vouchers that I had add to the website, it did not post automatically.

13. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, you have to usually look at the bottom of the list of available rates. Each property names it something a little different, but look for 10k or 10,000 or 10000 in the description.

KathInJax likes this.
  14. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just checked HI Anaheim, and this is what they have:

Exclusive to Priority Club® Rewards members - Earn 1,000 bonus Priority Club points for your stay when you book the 1,000 Bonus Point Package. A stay is defined as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out. Membership in Priority Club Rewards is free! Points can be redeemed at any time for a variety of rewards, including free hotel stays starting at just 10,000 points, airline miles, name-brand merchandise and more. Book now to take advantage of this special offer!

So it's 1K but not 10K.

15. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is the Holiday Inn Anaheim - Resort Area. It is listed as the Reward yourself package, not as a 10,000 Bonus Point Package. Since there are several Holiday Inn's in Anaheim, I should have been clearer as to which one.

ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 07 19.11.gif

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  16. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great thanks! I'm wondering if this 10K bonus thing is only for HI but not HIE.

KathInJax likes this.
  17. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's all dependent on the property. I've seen these packages on at least HI, HIX, and Crowne.

TheBeerHunter and KathInJax like this.
  18. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    So with a 10K bonus at these properties, you could stay only six times and get platinum status? That seems unreasonably cheap.

19. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, which is why people complain that Plat is too easy to get.

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    My friend made Gold with 4 stays last year thanks to stacking promos and bonus points. I think he had less than 10 stays and was 7-9k short of Platinum.

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any benefit to being Priority Club Plat and also having ICH Ambassador status, or does paying for Ambassador alone get you all the same benefits?

22. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Being PC plat is a unreasonably cheap. ;)

If it took you six of these packages to make plat status, you're doing something wrong.

icurhere2 likes this.
  23. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ambassador status gets you GOLD in PC, not Plat, if I remember correctly; so technically, there is a difference. In reality the difference really matters little at non-IC properties. At ICs, they don't care if you're gold or plat or titanium or green martian man -- it's Amb and RA status that matter. I am not sure I've ever read of anyone getting anything at any IC property as a result of PC status. The best I ever did was at the IC at Beijing Financial Street, stayed there twice when coming/going on a trip to North Korea...they had just opened...we didn't even have a PC account...but they remembered us on the return, so upgraded us to a 1-bed suite. That's what's so nice about getting in to new properties before they get jaded! :D

Scottrick likes this.
  24. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I was already PC Plat (and IC Ambassador), I just picked up the Chase PC Visa with 80,000 point promo. These points renew my Plat status until well into the future, and I'll likely redeem points to renew the Ambassador status*. That said, if I could consistently buy 10,000 PC points for $40+tax, I would do so.

* The rebate on points redeemed and free night certificate are good annual "carrots" for what is a very reasonable annual fee, even if I only use the credit card at IHG hotels.

25. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The rebate is the reason, alone, that I keep this card. At $49, I guess the free night is worth it too, but it sort of depends on your stay patterns -- where you'd get to use it (and, if you're like me and never got "notified" of your free night, I'm sure they're hopeful you WON'T use it so they don't have to pay it out!)