109 Delta passengers sleep in SeaTac after fog turns back plane

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by WilliamQ, Jul 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ktoo.org/2014/07/15/juneau-fog-forces-109-delta-passengers-sleep-seatac-airport/

http://www.ktoo.org/2014/07/15/juneau-fog-forces-109-delta-passengers-sleep-seatac-airport/

2. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the aircraft had enough fuel to circle JNU for "a period of time" and then return direct to SEA? Is fuel so much more expensive in JNU that it's cost effective to tanker on such a long flight?

I also don't understand why it didn't divert to ANC.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The plane could have been stuck there without a "legal" crew to fly it anywhere for awhile. At least in SEA they could do something. Finding lodging for a 109 passengers and crew in July @ ANC is easier said than done. These were conditions that any AS aircraft and crew could land in. DL has apparently decided not to make the investment in completely predictable JNU conditions. I trust that will be the last DL JNU flight many of those passengers fly, and the JNU press couldn't have helped with prospective travelers.

"Due to fog" when equipment and training in which to land in same is a weak, weak, excuse in a market where this could happen any day of the year, with little to no notice.

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    16/17 flights from AS made it. Without doing any research, the 1 AS flight and DL flight could have been there at the same time; or because of the fog, they didn't have any place to put them on the ground. That being said, it is a 2.5hr flight each way, so those passengers effectively had 7.5 hours of flying time. I hope they enjoyed their airport hotel accommodations and their 500 sky pesos they should receive with a sincere apology. I wonder if you could try to pry all the BIS miles out of them? (nah)

Flyer1976 and DiverDave like this.