100k from United & Continental CC signup bonuses

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jstn, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jstn

jstn Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,
    I've been wandering around flyertalk for a couple of months and I finally decided to join Milepoint!
    I had a question about applying for both the Chase, 50k United Mileage Plus Signature Visa and the 50k Continental OnePass credit cards in the hopes of getting 100k miles after the merger. Will I be able to apply for these two credit cards consecutively? I was targeted by mail with the United card and the offer expires in May while the Continental card expires at the end of this month, I believe.

I've read that people have been getting automatically denied once they apply for both cards and I've read somewhere else that people have been successful if they apply for the cards immediately after another. Does anybody have suggestions or experience in doing this?

Thanks!

hulagrrl210, Cholula and Rlpro like this.
  2. We applied for both consecutively after applying for the Capital One Venture card. We got approved on the Venture card and the Continental but were not instantly approved for the United card. We received a letter about a week later and phoned Chase. They declined the United card due to too many recent inquires. We suggested they take half the credit line from the Continental card and use that for the United. They agreed and issued a United card a few days later.

3. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome jstn! And good luck.

Smart move. Enjoy your miles!

Mikel likes this.
  4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome Justn.

Chase is one of the most picky provider of credit cards (but there are worse). For Chase, they only want you to have a couple of hard pulls in the last 6 months. For many people, Chase wants 5 or 6 months between applications. There are numerous reports of people who apply for both the CO and UA cards and only the first one gets approved, yet others seem to be approved for both..

It may be worth taking the chance.......only you can tell.

jstn likes this.
  5. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I would definitely apply for the Continental card first because that card will be ending soon. I would probably wait on the United card, but if you need the miles right away you may roll the dice. I suppose if you are denied the United card you can try again if the promotion comes back in the fall.

jstn likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. Nice avatar.

7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Already had the United card, but just applied and was approved for the Continental one- was planning one doing what OP mentioned and combining the miles :)

8. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would highy recommend www.frugaltravelguy.com for his wealth of information when it comes to credit cards. He is one who avocates signing up for more than one at a time and he has written extensively about the topic.

Mikel and deant like this.
  9. jstn

jstn Active Member

Status Points:
    just curious, how long did you wait in between cards before applying again? I heard chase is extremely stingy about their credit and will not open a new card if you've recently applied.