100K amex MR points or 5OK MR Points

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by jeffrey930, Jun 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello, question which one would you guys pick I was pre approve online when I check Amex website for 100K MR for Amex platinum card with $3000 spend in 3 months annual fee $450..or 50K MR points for Gold Amex $1000 spend in 3 months no annual fee for one year. I can't seem to decide. i can't justify paying $450 for platinum but then again is the points worth it? Or should I just get the Gold Amex for 50K MR points no money wasted since the annual fee is free. What would you guys pick if you guys got the offer? Offer expire on July 2. Thanks

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I'd go for the gold card first, then upgrade to the platinum card as soon as possible later so that I get both bonuses. But, I've not reserached this to make sure its possible.

3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go for platinum! 100k is the best offer I ever seen. After $200 airline credit, $100 credit for global entry and value of points you will have a value well over $1300.

4. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    100K points for the net cost of $150 (following NYCAdventurer's info) is a pretty excellent deal, provided you can get the minimum spend without a problem. You also get a lot of lounge access and SPG Gold, if you don't already have those.

I got 50K recently for a Platinum. Sure wish I got the 100K.

alohastephen and NYCAdventurer like this.
  5. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys! I'm now leaning towards the platinum. This will be my first Amex card. I'm new to miles&points and I'm still waiting to book that first award one day lol.

Question do American airline gift card still works for $200 credit incidental charge? Will I get another $200 credit next year Jan 2013 before the next annual fee?

6. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the published rules, no, but according to reports here and on TOBB, yes. Most people buy $50 gift cards sporadically.

AFAIK, it's once per calendar year, and that's what I'm banking on also, so you should be able to get two in one annual fee, making for a net gain of $50, assuming you do the Global Entry refund, and that you would have paid for that anyway.

7. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just one more vote for the Platinum card. Some of the less-heralded benefits such as hotel and rental car status have been really helpful, and lounge access has been great.

8. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get both. I recently got the 100k plat and the 75k business gold that ended recently.

alohastephen likes this.
  9. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Platinum for sure. Extra 50,000 points are worth at least $500 and maybe much more. The other benefits have been discussed above. As long as the spend is not an issue, go Platinum.

10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Platinum for sure! the gold to platinum bonus are weak lately....

11. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you think its possible to apply for both? I just got approve for platinum yesterday. Hmm extra 50K points would be nice. Anyone ever tried applying for both any info would be nice. Thanks again guys for all your help..

12. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never mind I tried to log in on Amex website to see the pre approve offers its gone now I guess I could only pick one platinum or gold not both.

13. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got the same offer as the OP, minimum spend difference between the Pt and PRG is not an issue, however it is the $450 that is the issue for me. I don't do international travel enough (once every few years) for the Global Entry refund to make a factor in getting the card. Using that as a factor to judge the value for me doesn't work. I wouldn't keep the PRG beyond one year anyways so that's my quandary. What else beyond the obvious 100k-50k difference should play a factor for me?

14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The platinum has a ton of benefits, and these come at a cost.

I'd gladly buy MR points at less than a penny a piece, so the first year is easy enough to justify. Renewing requires a bit more thorough analysis of how you value the benefits.

15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just used the credit for AA gift cards and it does work. The credit is once per year on an annual basis.