100% Mileage Bonus on transfer miles

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by wombat18, Nov 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I may have missed the thread on this, but if this is widespread then we all could add a whole lot of miles to our accounts. Is this not as good as it appears?

For a limited time, when you transfer miles to a friend or family member, you'll earn a 100% mileage bonus for yourself.1

That means for every 1,000 miles you transfer out of your SkyMiles account, we'll give you 1,000 bonus miles back.

Here's some of the terms and conditions:

This offer is open only to the recipients of original email. Offer is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offers. Transaction must be completed between November 14, 2011 and November 30, 2011 to receive the 100% mileage bonus. The 100% mileage bonus offer expires at 11:59 CST on November 30, 2011. The 100% mileage bonus will be awarded to the transfer donor's account and will post to the account within 24 hours after the completed transaction.

Transfer Miles may only be donated and received by SkyMiles accounts that have been established for at least 10 days and have earned at least one automatically posted mile since enrolling in the Delta SkyMiles program. Each member is limited to transferring no more than 150,000 miles from his or her account and no recipient may receive more than 300,000 transferred miles from any other SkyMiles program account or combination of accounts in any calendar year. Any miles beyond this limit will not be transferred from member's account or posted to any recipient's account.

Taxes and Fees: You will be charged $0.01 USD per mile, plus a $30 USD processing fee per transaction or as otherwise set forth on the order form.

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It just started today, so I think everybody missed it.

The way I read it, if I send you 50k miles, I basically pay just for the transfer, but I don't lose any miles. Instead you end up with 50k new miles and I keep mine.

Not bad at all, but as always I'm eyeballing all the fine print to see if there's a catch. Well, other than the fact that it's Delta miles, that is. :)

3. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems targeted though - "This offer is open only to the recipients of original email. Offer is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offers".

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Salivating at the thought of US Airways doing this. :)

hulagrrl210 and Quasiconvexity like this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think everyone would be happy if their airline would have this promo too. 1 cpm + $30 transfer fee up to 150k miles is a great deal if you have an immediate use for them. Not sure it makes as much sense to stockpile these miles for later use but am considering it right now.

6. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, so I'm guessing that 1 cpm isn't that great if you don't get EQM. For example, 35,000 skymiles for $380 ... hmmm ...

7. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do see that the transfer is limited to 30,000 RDM at a time, which would make the transaction cost 1.1 cent per mile "generated". Even if my household were to do this transfer, we don't want to be building up the balance in her account (soon to have no status) instead of my account (DM).

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  8. I wonder if it's really essential that you received the offer directly from them as it states?

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't receive this offer, and neither did the wife. I tried sharing between our accounts and it let me get as far as billing and didn't bark at either account.

What I'm not sure though is whether or not you would get this "bonus" if your account wasn't targeted. The process looks very much like the standard "sharing miles" process, so it could be that if you're not targeted it will just take your money and move the miles over and you wouldn't get anything back :)

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  10. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the email, but it's not showing on my promotions on DL.dumb. Not sure what that means.

I was thinking about doing this, but since the bonus miles wind up in the account that's transferring out, it seems about the only effective route to use this to accumulate miles in your own account is to have a friend/family member who got the promo who has miles to effectively swap with you, doubling each of your balances.

alohastephen likes this.
  11. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Kind of unfortunate to have the 30k mile limit/tx. Not a significant impact if your use is business class awards but if it was for coach tickets a very questionable value... especially with many increases at the bottom end of awards.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's actually quite interesting for us: I have about 112k Delta miles, and my wife has around 80k. We don't really ever fly Delta or SkyTeam carriers, and it would be nice to empty out the accounts with a business class trip to Europe one of these days, so this might be a good way of bumping her to 100k (that's what the cheap business class awards go for, right?).

alohastephen likes this.
  13. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in the exact situation as you a couple of months back (had 90K and wife had ~120K). Made use of DL's transfer promotion (similar to the current one) and transferred my 90K over to hers so we have ~300K overall in one account. That should be enough for 2 J seats to Australia on Virgin, so I think it is money well spent.

wombat18 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  14. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just one other option that you might want to consider: Korean Air.

Not sure about routing from the continental U.S., but.......

I recently used 70K Delta miles for a R/T biz class from Honolulu to Japan (via Seoul) on Korean Air. No fuel surcharge made this a really good deal in my books. Lots of availability if you just put in a call to Korean Air. From what I understand, there is no was to do an online search for Korean award travel.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed that it is perfect for getting up to a nice business class redemption that you aren't already at. Less value for someone who was planning on using the miles for coach seats or those of us who have healthy balances without an immediate intended use for the miles.

16. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I disagree. Till date I have used Delta only for last minute coach class tickets and they are excellent value(2.5-4.5cpm) with no fees whatsoever and generous last minute availability.

17. overhead

overhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    The transfer is limited to 30k rdm per account with a max of 4 accounts per transaction. That means you could xfer 30k miles to 4 different people (120k miles total) for $1,200 + $30 fee or 1.025 cents per mile.

18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on your ability to use those skypesos. If you have potential last-minute travel where even coach is very $$, there are considerable savings to be had. If you have enough flexibility to redeem for complex international J itineraries, then the value is very high indeed, as you can pay less than the price of a coach ticket for a business ticket with stopovers.

wombat18 likes this.
  19. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone interested in transferring miles with me? I don't have enough Delta miles to initiate, but PM me if you're interested.

20. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    This thread (until two posts ago) was about a possibly targeted November offer. That one gave the bonus miles to the giver.

There's a new offer that gives the bonus miles to the recipient, that is not targeted. Go to the delta transfer miles page and click Limited-time Offers on the left. That takes you to the offer page.
    https://www.delta.com/skymiles/buy_transfer/transfer_miles/transfer_miles_lto/index.jsp

21. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I crazy? I'm thinking of transferring 60K miles to my dad's account and then the 120K he'll have back to my account to give me ~240K miles. Part of me thinks this is insane, and then part of me says "That's two round trips US-Asia in J for under $2,000." and that it'd be insane not to do it.

22. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember the 30k cap on transfers per transaction. That'll drive up the cpm a bit.

23. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as you anticipate being able to utilize them in a somewhat reasonable timeframe, it makes perfect sense. Miles at around a penny a piece are a great value.

24. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just makes it 1.1cpm instead of 1cpm, which is not a real difference of any significance.

What's "somewhat reasonable" mean to most people? I guess my plan would be to book in 2012 for travel in 2012 or through the middle of 2013. Seems fairly reasonable to me. I'd probably use them faster if I weren't EU-based until mid-2012, but I don't want to get slammed with a bunch of YQ.

25. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still interested in working with someone on this one...