100% Bonus Miles on mile purchases

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Aug 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple questions:

1) The T&C's state that the most that can be transferred is 150,000 miles out and 300,000 miles in. I assume this is based on the 100% bonus in that if you transfer our 150K miles, the recipient will receive 300K miles. Is this really what happens?

2) It appears that the transfer of miles is significantly cheaper than the purchase of miles ($0.01/mile + $30 transaction fee vs. $0.035/mile + 7.5% tax). My question is, can't you simply create a ring of people who just transfer the maximum number of miles to each other and get the 100% bonus at the transfer cost instead of the purchase cost?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think based on DL's description that any gifting or transfer results in a bonus to the recipient.

I'm not a DL guy, but I noticed when I clicked the BUY MILES tab, it said something along the lines of only 60000 miles can be deposited to a skymiles a/c. I assume that applies to purchased miles, before any bonus.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're thinking of transferring miles for the 100% bonus, remember that you're still paying a penny per mile plus the $30 fee, which is about the value of DL miles for domestic travel. This isn't a great deal. It would take a lot of time and effort to get awards valued at more than 1.75 cents per mile, even neglecting the tax on the purchase.

However, it can sometimes make sense to buy a few miles to top up an account for a specific available award ticket or to transfer otherwise useless orphan miles that can't be used for hotels, magazines, gift cards, etc.

viguera and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now you can book a flight, try to cancel 2 days before your flight, and have more miles taken away from you!

viguera and Jett Rink like this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I almost exclusively redeem miles for international travel, not domestic. I'm pretty sure that the value of our previous international awards has been much higher than $0.01/mi... especially with partners. Not sure if I missed it but I didn't see anything saying that these miles purchased can't be used for international travel or for partners.

Totally agree that this is another way to use them. If you were in the scenario I described above, you would already have 150k miles in two separate accounts. From there, you could purchase an extra 150k miles for around $1600 and have 300k in your account which would take you from being just short on 2 low tickets in coach to SE Asia to 2 low tickets in business class. That seems like a pretty good value to me.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before doing anything, you should try to book two low tickets in business class to southeast Asia and then tell us how valuable those DL miles are. Seriously, I looked within the last few days for SIN and there are no low BE seats in either direction during December and January, nor is there a single low BE seat to/from Hong Kong in March. If you want two BE award tickets on the same day (and ideally the same flights), it will be even harder.

8. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't do a lot of the bookings, my g/f does that, and perhaps we plan farther out than others. I don't have any actual examples of SE Asia but these are the two trips that we have booked at the low mileage:
    • LAX-HKG-TPE-LAX on KE in D & CI in O in November. Booked awhile ago (best guess is Feb)
    • LAX-FCO-CDG-LAX on AF in O in April. Booked more recently (best guess is June)
    Are our times and locations not as desirable? Not sure but these are the locations and the times that we wanted to go. They aren't all non-stops but all our flights have the stopovers that we want and the transpacific/transatlantic segments are on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday to maximize our vacation time.

Perhaps we'll find out about SE Asia at some point in the future. If something has drastically changed in the last month or two, I can't speak to that but so far, DL miles have worked out for us when using partners.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any time you use DL miles for a SkyTeam partner, it must necessarily be a low award; thus, the award tickets in both of your examples are low. It would be different if you were trying to fly DL's 777-LR flat beds to NRT, HKG, SIN, or PVG. Your timing is lucky for the KE award as their blackout dates cover about five months of the year. You're further lucky in flying from LAX so that you don't need to worry about finding low domestic award seats to coordinate with your TATL or TPAC flights.

10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just found out she already lost the miles, but it still would be good to hear the answer.

Question - I need about 20,000 more miles in my wife's account for the AUS do. If I were to purhcase 5,000 miles, I would get 10,000 miles, could I then transwer those 10,000 miles to my wife for a total of 20,000 miles?

Right now the Delta miles in her account are basiclly not used and will be lost at some point so if I spend ~$300 to make those miles usable for $700 in tickets I'd come out ahead.

11. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

See Brian's post on this:
    http://thepointsguy.com/2011/09/how-to-take-maximize-the-delta-100-transfer-miles-bonus/

iolaire likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check the DL website to see whether you can still do this, but DL had been willing to let people get back their expired miles for a fee if they hadn't been expired for too long, IIRC one year.

Also, DL has been advertising that its miles don't expire any more, so when did your wife's miles expire and how many did she have, from how long ago?

iolaire likes this.
  13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they expired last year or the year before so its not recent. I confused her US Airways miles with Delta...