100,000 pts to use in a warm place in Jan...

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by afreedman, Dec 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. afreedman

afreedman New Member

Status Points:
    So this is a great dilemma to have, but I am trying to plan a surprise trip for me and my wife for anyplace warm within 1-day travel distance from NYC. We have a week to take off in January, and 120,000 SPG points.

I temporarily reserved 6 nights at the W Hotel in Vieques, Puerto Rico, but am not reading great things about the hotel on tripadvisor and elsewhere as I do more research.

Anyone have suggestions of good SPG properties to check out?

Thanks!
    -Andrew

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Define "1 day travel distance" :)

I usually narrow it down to hours, and that helps a ton. If you're trying to stick near the Caribbean I'd say the Westin St. John?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  3. afreedman

afreedman New Member

Status Points:
    I think 8 hrs travel max, am trying to stick to U.S., Caribbean, Mexico so no jet lag is involved. Thx!

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    MrsLincoln and I just stayed over Thanksgiving at the W Vieques and had a very nice time. I think some of the folks who complain on the internet wouldn't be happy with anything.

That said, you should also check out the St Regis Punta Mita. Excellent property, great staff, and access to things off property if you like.

6. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stop looking! :)

The W Hotel in Vieques looks awesome! My wife and I fell in love with Puerto Rico a few years ago (back before I knew anything about rewards!). When we go back, I thought it would be cool to stay on Vieques island. If I had 120,000 SPG points, that's where I would go in a heartbeat.

You sound like me - once I pull the trigger on a trip, I keep obsessing about it, wondering if I made the right decision. But the bottom line, is you'll be somewhere warm, sunny and carefree with the love of your life. Location is secondary. Good luck!

suenam likes this.
  7. afreedman

afreedman New Member

Status Points:
    mapenn: you're right -- I book something and then have a weird period of buyer's remorse, wondering if there's something better/cheaper etc. out there.

That said, I may check out availability at Punta Mita, but beyond that, barring anything that comes up on this forum, I'm done lookin'. Thanks much!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What particular concerns do you have regarding the W?

9. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    We liked the champagne sabering on Friday night; see if you can be there for that. Do check the weather in PVR in January, to make sure it'll be warm enough for you to qualify as a beach vacation.

viguera likes this.
  10. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 on Punta Mita. We were there last Jan. weather was great. Beautiful sunsets every night. We are returning in Feb. to watch the whale migration.

viguera likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is an EZE question!

WhiteDesert and viguera like this.
  12. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about the Cayman Islands? While the Westin there may not be a "luxury" resort, its not bad and the island is great.

This does bring up whether you are looking for a relaxing beach vacation or do you want to do something? Do you and the spouse like amusement parks? There are two nice Starwood hotels on-site at Disney (Swan and Dolphin). So if you like amusement parks, January can be low crowd time to go to Disney and you would get the Disney extra hours.

If you really want a beach resort and prefer to stay in the US, the Westin Diplomat hotel on the south side of Ft. Lauderdale in Hollywood, FL is a very nice hotel and on a nice stretch of beach as well.

viguera likes this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for the Westin... the beach is awesome and it's not that far from the airport and downtown FLL as well.