10 yr E Passport - Any News?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by The Winger, Jan 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    My passport expires in October and I am trying to strategically plan my travel in the next few months for a short period that I won't need my passport, have a small window near the beginning of March and the middle of April. I am really hoping the new passport is unveiled by then.

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would love to get one myself - have not heard anything recently on this unfortunately.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    "E Passport?" Can you enlighten someone (or have a link) for someone who just read about this for the first time?

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't they announce that they would "soon" give the choice of a five year with 24 pages, and a ten year with 36 pages (which is totally bizarre as we now can get 48 page passports). So if you are a heavy page user you get penalized.....

Gargoyle and ACMM like this.
  6. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    YULtide, sobore and Gargoyle like this.
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    A not so brief history of the 10yr e-passport.

it all began around 2006 when it was suggested that the new electronic passports were more secure and would save on fraud.

When they announced it in 2008 in the Federal budget, they said the 10yr passport for Cdns would begin in 2011.

Then in 2009, they said they would have focus groups to discuss the 10yr passport due for release in 2011. <focus group? :eek:>

In that year, they also released the passport in a trial of 40000 senior government officials and diplomats. The cost of Harper's e-passport was $225, but did not include a $25 consular fee. Of course, that may not be the price of a new passport, just the over-inflated cost to government officials and their immediate family.

Then in 2010, they said it would appear in 2012.

Last month, the G&M reported that the 5 and 10 yr passports would be available with Passport Canada proposing to increase its fee for a five-year adult passport by $33 starting in 2013, along with other increases. That would bring the full cost to $120 from the current $87, with the current $25 consular fee included (Children 0-15yo - $57). The 10-year passport would cost $160, also including the $25 consular fee. (the 5 and 10 yr option was unveiled in 2010). The 48pg and infant passports were being discontinued.

YULtide, sobore and Gargoyle like this.
  8. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    atypical government........... something will most likely change again by the time its published

YULtide likes this.
  9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, we were supposed to get these this month, but they've been put off for yet another year...I think it's the third or forth time the date has changed, though the history above is too generous. I had to get a new passport in November 2010 so I figured the new biometrics would be available this month (i.e. January 2012), so got a 24-page one. Have two pages left and will have to get a new "old" passport next month when I have a couple of weeks between international trips. Do I dare risk another 24-pager?

canucklehead likes this.
  10. I paid $122 a couple of months ago for a 48 page one but also for next day pickup. I'm not sure how much the express part cost but it was worth it to me. Also, they do not keep your old passport anymore while they prepare the new one so one does have a document at all times. A friend used his old passport plus his receipt for the new one to travel to the US on an urgent trip while waiting for his new one. I believe the UK would also accept the cancelled one with a receipt for a new one.

canucklehead likes this.
  11. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I decided to give a small recap, one per year of the ever changing goalposts. I have no idea why it would take them so long to issue the new passport since they have already trial tested them and done a focus group on them.

I don't think you will have a choice, but to get a new one unless they issue them beginning this spring at the rate you have been going. Also, given that there will only be a 36 pg, and not 48 page, unless they introduce the add-on pages like in the US, you will likely fill those ones before the 10yr expiration date also!

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they are waiting for the XMAS portrait of Prime Minister Harper and the Canadian Beaver that will be on front of each passport ;)

13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will that also be called Canada's NEW passport? ;)

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've always given back the old passport when applying for a renewal. It is stamped with a cut-through VOID notation but as you note, it can be used for travel to/from the USA. In fact, the wording of entry to that country is not "valid passport" but just "passport" as it is more an issue of positive appropriate government issue photo ID than for the same visa reasons getting into other countries. That's why certified driver's licenses issued by some provinces and states can be used in lieu of the passport, and IIRC for land crossings, we only need our NEXUS card...unlike air where we still need to have our passports on us.

BTW I inquired about an insert to my existing passport last week when I dropped into the Toronto office (it's just three blocks from my condo) but Canada doesn't issue these. Wasn't aware only 36-page versions were now being issued. Guess it makes my decision easy enough...never expected I would be able to get an early biometric one next month. The big hassle will be getting the new passport number changed on my NEXUS/GE file...and then in June going back for my NEXUS/GE renewal. Will also have to change my HKG fast track info.

15. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, similar to the NEW Economic Plan............ scaled back

YULtide and SensFan like this.
  16. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can change your passport information online and it is suprisingly hassle free. Even if you have previously signed up and forgotten your password the recovery is painless so you should be able to make the change in under 5 minutes.

17. in fact they are no longer doing new passport number changes in person. A friend of mine was recently given the web site info and told to do it there when he went to the nexus office at YYZ.

As an aside when i did my previous passport 5 years ago they only gave me back my old one when i picked up the new one. That has obviously changed.

18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always been given my old passport back immediately after the clerk runs it through the "chopper voider" so I had it as an interim document.

Thanks for the info about using GOES. Haven't a clue what my PIN or username or anything else is on the damn thing but should give it a try to be ready to make the change...though not sure why this is not done automatically when the new passport is issued.

19. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has been my experience in the past also.

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll just go ahead and renew asap.

20. I think it will be automatic as soon as they can grow the system into doing that. It really makes a lot of sense to.know their trusted members PP numbers at all times.

21. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A focus group? Really?!?!?!?!

Someone just show up on a (non-holiday) Monday morning at YYZ and ask 100 random people. Focus group done.

I really need the 10 year. The 5 year is too disruptive.

22. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course do you know how many times we'd have to get a 10-year one replaced? Otherwise it would have to be as thick as a paperback book for some of us!

YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One upside of Nexus is that I'm not filling up my passport with US immigration stamps. I got the 48-pager and it looks like it will actually last all the way until expiration.

TAHKUCT and canucklehead like this.
  24. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plus the amazing speed of going through passport control.

canucklehead likes this.
  25. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    10-year PP is useless to me. My 48-page PP typically runs out of page in about 3 years. Increasing the number of pages seems to make more sense than increasing the validity period, as far as I'm concerned. Making it 100 pages wouldn't make it too thick, compared to some old-fashioned hard-cover passports.