10 weird but wonderful frequent flyer rewards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505144_162-57409590/10-weird-but-wonderful-frequent-flyer-rewards/

Everybody knows that frequent flyer programs can land you better seats, free trips, and the ability to board the plane before the unwashed masses. But did you know that Air Baltic frequent flyer miles will pay for a dog-sled ride in Latvia? Or that Hawaiian Air will help you tee off at the championship Coral Creek golf course in Ewa Beach, Hawaii?

As an increasing number of credit card companies offer points that can be used on any airline, single-airline frequent flyer programs have had to step up with better alternatives, says Jay Sorensen, president of IdeaWorks, a company that does research and brand development for the airline industry.

"Reward-oriented credit cards that are not affiliated with a particular airline have forced airlines to make their offers richer, release more seats for frequent flyer programs, and offer more extravagant sign-up bonuses," says Sorensen. They've also spurred an escalation in weird and wonderful reward options, like having the opportunity to pet Artic wolves in Sweden or sup on an in-flight "happy marriage cake."

Read More:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505144_162-57409590/10-weird-but-wonderful-frequent-flyer-rewards/

perryplatypus, msny and wrxmom like this.
  2. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Although some of those redemptions are at a high cost per mile.

perryplatypus and sobore like this.
  3. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would rather pay the $73 then burn 14700 miles on the AA Beer tasting tour. Terrible $ value per mile

wrxmom likes this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but we actually fly. Strange as it may seem, not all cardholders do, so it's better than no useful redemption at all.

wrxmom and perryplatypus like this.
  5. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is true especially if you are in a use it or lose it situation

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, you can always buy more, but one's not always in a position to afford that. If I'd been laid off my job, happened to be in a free beer area, and wasn't traveling, that would look like a pretty good redemption at a time when I couldn't otherwise afford a night out.

7. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does one fly 25 million miles on Virgin Australia? I wonder if anyone in the world can redeem the suborbital flight. :rolleyes:

desamo likes this.