10 Things Everyone Does in a Hotel Room But Won’t Admit

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || 10 Things Everyone Does in a Hotel Room But Won’t Admit ||

Indeed, Hotelchatter.com got it right. :D:);)

jbcarioca, Flyer1976 and sobore like this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Half of these are acceptable.

Leaves without checking out? Yes, it's what the hotels encourage me to do - take the folio they slip under the door, leave the keys on the desk (or drop them in a box downstairs) and leave.

Throttles the hotel Wifi? Any good hotel throttles me first so I can't do this. Most are woefuly under-wired, anyway, so I don't have to worry about killing the network.

Uses towels once? Nope, I take my MAGC (Make a Green Choice, or equivalent) points, thanks! Don't need my bed made, either.

Steals the single-use toiletries? They're single use, and they're placed there for me to use. How is that stealing? Would you like me to leave the half-used lotion for you next time? (I'm not as well-endowed, I guess!)

Stiffs the housekeeper? Costs of housekeeping are built into my room rate/resort fee, and with MAGC, I don't use the housekeeper. That's not a service I tip for unless I'm making extraordinary demands or requests. It's a built-in cost of doing business.

Watched a $16.99 movie, even an adult move vs. using Netflix? Author apparently doesn't know Netflix has more than enough adult content if you need that sort of thing... and if you have Netflix, you have the whole internet.

3. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree with you.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

5. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only one that's really negative is the one about wrecking furniture. And I do single use the towels, but only if I use them to clean mud off of my shoes or something (just as I would at home)

I can safely say that I've never paid for a hotel movie, and I've never purchased a $4 candy bar. I always take the toiletries.

I agree with Mike Reed that some of this stuff is stuff the hotels encourage you to do. It specifically said, on my last hotel stay, that through express check out I could just leave the hotels in the room.

Also, walking around the room naked is no big deal. At some hotels however (especially in very small towns) it's not all that wise to sleep in the nude however.

I tip the bell-boy always, but I rarely tip housekeeping unless they've done something I consider to go above and beyond. (In Singapore for instance they folded some clothes my wife forgot to put back in the bag and laid them neatly on a chair.)

WilliamQ, jbcarioca, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  6. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife worked as a housekeeper at a few hotels in Ohio, include Double Tree, Residence Inn, etc.

In many of those places, the house keepers very very very little, especially if they are here to work for the summer on a visa. They find jobs not through the hotel but an agency, which takes anywhere from 10% to 50% of their wages. In short, they are working on $4 to $5 an hour.

As long as I remember, I always leave a tip at the end of the stay or sometimes on a daily basis. The extra $1 or $2 means little to us, but to a hard worker who is trying to save money, it means a lot.

The other stories that I would get, of total slobs who wreck the room, don't leave any tips.

Karma....

7. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have indeed paid for the odd movie, but that was seriously back in the day before I had internet access (and Netflix) literally in my pocket. It also seems to me that I used to watch movies in hotel rooms more than I do now.

I'm with Mike in that I really don't see how taking the single-use bottles of lotion or whatever constitutes stealing. If I were to use the shampoo, and use it up completely, they'd provide me with a new bottle. So...

It's 2013. You don't need me to physically check out at the front desk.

8. I have to ask? Why especially in small towns. :confused:

9. Nothing shocking or surpising in that report

10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I try my best not to make a mess in the hotel room, but like Mike I truly feel that part of what I pay for in a hotel is the housekeeping service. If something extraordinary is done for me I will certainly compensate for it, but I have a hard time paying someone for just doing their job. It reminds me of the tip jars at fast food restaurants where cashiers expect a tip because they charged you and gave you a bag of food. We just returned from Singapore where even waiters are not tipped. There is a service charge built into the price that everyone knows in advance, and there is no pressure trying to decide how much the service was worth. I greatly appreciated that system.

WilliamQ, jbcarioca and iterfacio12 like this.
  11. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:

This is based on the assumption that they are compensated fairly. If yes.... I agree. However I feel your assumption may not always be correct, and many housekeepers are NOT paid fairly for the work that they do.

I have heard from some hotel owners who just outsource housekeeping, and don't care how or how much the housekeepers are paid.

Some hotels do indeed hire their own and pay fair wages. Other hotels, outsource it all, and could care less if they are legals, illegals, or how much they get paid. They perfectly well know a lot of their staff are taken advantage of.

This one guy my wife worked for, 10 to 15 people would live in one house, that is all they can afford, and then every day, they would be driven to the hotel to work. The company they worked for was contracting with hotels, and took a large percentage of the employee's salary... in fact, they set it.

So next time... Ask.

Being an immigrant myself, I know how hard they work. So when I see an immigrant worker, and they do a good job, I will always leave a cash tip. If American or english speaking, I will ask if they work directly for hotel, and if yes, I will leave a tip as long as I remember at end of stay, a $1 or $2 a day.

Just wanted to give an inside. =)

jbcarioca, anileze and uggboy like this.
  12. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is the list is much longer with things we all would rather not know happens in a hotel room.......

WilliamQ, jbcarioca, Sedosi and 2 others like this.
  13. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's actually what I came here expecting to find!

jbcarioca, CrankyScott and uggboy like this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :):D:)

jbcarioca, CrankyScott and kwai like this.
  15. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've lived in SEA for the last three years or so, and you don't really tip here. Like Marcwint stated, the service charge is always built into the overall cost. That being said, I don't know how I would feel being asked to tip at a hotel, unless it was a long-term stay and the maid service was exceptional. I'm paying the cost of the turn-over and cleaning when I pay my bill for the stay.

That being said, I'm moving to just outside Raleigh in a few months, so I guess I should research on what's polite and expected in that region. Any suggestions on that, MP'ers?!

16. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always try to make sure the room is clean when I leave, even if there is a cleaner who comes to the rooms, just because the hotel comes with a cleaner does not mean you can trash the room and leave it in a state, you wouldn't do it in your own home. I will try make the bed and make sure all rubbish is put away. Some places have the tip included in the charge of the rooms, or restaurant services, but if not then I would always tip, if i feel necessary. i.e. if the service was good.

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why make the bed if they're going to strip it?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca, uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the cleaning cost of your hotel room is included in the overall charge, this doesn't mean that the cleaner is well paid. Sad, but true, the back of the house is often overlooked while higher paying roles in a hotel incl. concierge or other front of house positions seem to get the most "extra" in tips, a double win for them, while a "double" loss for others in this case physically harder working back of house staff ie. room cleaners, and yes, they have an very demanding cleaning schedule. It's time that they receive recognition too.

jbcarioca and rockyrock like this.
  19. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good one, very responsible solutions here.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never understood this argument. My typical response is "so what?" Not in any sense of cruelty, but in the sense of that person agreed to take the job at the pay rate offered - it's not like they were surprised by the rate or started working and they got told what they'd get paid. The person agreed to do the work, knowing the rate, and likely knowing that it's not a tipped position in the same sense as a waiter, bellman, etc.

Either get a new job, or do your job well enough that someone wants to put you in a different job where your work is recognized with better pay.

No, it's not as easy as it sounds... but "well paid" is absolutely between the employee and employer, and as a hotel guest it's not my concern how much the hotel pays any particular individual on staff, from housekeeping to GM. I have a business relationship with the hotel - nothing more.

Like anyone - provide good service, I'll consider a tip. Great service, larger tip. Typically, though, I'm more annoyed by housekeeping staff than I am anything else. Stop knocking on my door - can't you see the door hangar? I know I check out today... but I check out at 4PM!

I also make that little interruption known in feedback to the hotel, often placing the blame squarely on the FRONT OF HOUSE staff who don't adequately communicate to back of house staff which guests are staying longer, etc.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I rarely get a knock on the door because I let both the front desk and housekeepers know it. At the same time, what bothers me more is when the housekeepers (or whomever, though specifically hotel staff) are talking loudly outside my door. Renders a DND sign somewhat useless.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get a 50% score for that list.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did used to take the toiletries, I had a stockpile of them for years. Now I'm all about traveling light and leaving with more than I came with doesn't fit into that equation.

Why would you stand on the furniture?

Must have been a "slow news day" when they came up with this list...:p

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    ha ha ha i am Agree with you Mike. :) Nice.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps "everyone"...but me.

I don't take hotel toiletries. I spend every night in hotels; no need to take anything. Small exception for Sheraton's Starbucks coffee. I'm not a S*ucks fan, but I know it'll be better than what they have at the next place.

Minibar? Nah, I'm a vegan and very health-focused. I carry enough food to resist the junk.

Naked? No more than normal/necessary.

Stiffs the housekeeper? Not a chance. These are the best, most important, most helpful people in virtually every hotel. (See also below)

Uses towels only once? On the contrary, I never have my room made up, even for two-plus week stays. Once in a while, I have to "hit up" the housekeeper in the hall for soap or something, but...

Room service. I've never had room service. Obviously, dietary choice plays a role, but so does my lack of an expense account and general compensation level, working for a not-for-profit.

Wrecks the furniture? You're kidding, right?

Hogs bandwidth. I haven't watched television, a movie, a video, YouTube...since 1978. I can't imagine what I do hogs bandwidth.

Leaves without checking out. This is my soapbox issue. How often have you wanted to check in a bit early and been denied? Well, there are probably empty rooms out there, waiting for cleaning and NO ONE KNOWS. Inconsiderate.

jbcarioca and maksim like this.