10 Stupidest Things Americans Do Overseas

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.budgettravel.com/feature...ericans-do-overseas,18910/?src=listiclerecirc

[​IMG]

Don't get us wrong: We're darn proud to be Americans, and we don't mind saying so—whether we're here at our New York City headquarters or standing on foreign soil. But unfortunately, we've all seen the embarrassing U.S. traveler abroad: The idiot wearing the "I'm With Stupid" T-shirt while visiting a museum of tolerance, the big shot flashing a wallet full of euros on the Paris metro, or the family that insists on chowing down on American fast food in Rome. How not to be the ugly American? Well, here are the stupidest things Americans do while overseas:

Read More: http://www.budgettravel.com/feature...ericans-do-overseas,18910/?src=listiclerecirc

gaijin62, gregm, WilliamQ and 4 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's actually not that embarrassing, as McDonald's is growing in France and Italy, plus we've seen many locales chowing down American fast food too. ;)

B1BomberVB, gregm and satman40 like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Paris McDees is popular, as well as China...and cheaper than the hotel food, like in the states.,,

Nothing like a 5 guys burger....

4. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'd have to shoot me to eat American fast food overseas (not that I engage in this activity here either).

5. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    gregm and pig like this.
  6. pig

pig Silver Member

Status Points:
    gregm likes this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a McDonalds in Bucharest on Blvd Regina Elisabeta and it's way nicer than any McDs in the states. Same goes for KFC, where there is actually someone who will assist you in clearing your table when finished.

8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I don't normally eat fast food overseas I have been known to check out a few fast food restaurants just to try the alternative menu's or just to get a quick cheap bite to eat.

9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I look at the menus for fun. Like here in England at the moment, you can get a Domino's pizza with a crust stuffed with hot dogs. LOL! I'd never order that home or abroad, but it's funny to see what they eat in other places.

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I actually make it a habit to stop at McDonald's in foreign countries. I almost never eat it in the US anymore. That being said, I don't order the American menu items. Most overseas McDs have localized items, some of them reasonably good (chicken wings in Barcelona one of my favs).

B1BomberVB, whkento, daninstl and 5 others like this.
  11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    In India, you are not going to get a beef burger - Nyet/Nada/Nahin/Sorry ! But, an Alu-McTikki (A burger with a potato pattie) very similar in concept to Mumbai's staple quick-bite street food on the go called Vada-Pau. I must say, not bad !

Goint back to the main theme; some of those points will hold true for Brits in the former colonies, Aussies in Bali, Germans in Dominican Republic.

12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barcelona even has a Fridays, food was great...
    Subway is good in China, but KFC has some small skinny chicken legs

French love Italian Pizza,

B1BomberVB and WilliamQ like this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try the different McDonalds, KFC, even Coke whenever I travel
    They all taste different in different countries (or even States).
    Could be just my own "perception" though.
    Surprisingly, the food that I would really like to eat when I visit the States but failed for one reason or another is the American Hotdog.
    I have NOT grabbed a single hotdog whenever I visit.
    Also, unless I am with my family, on my own, its usually Fast Food for me (goes well with Frequent Flyer?).
    Not very healthy but its convenient.
    I am a Fast Food addict.

gregm likes this.
  14. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one who thinks foreign McD tastes better compared to North America?

waffle and curly fries in Hong Kong...they also have a charbroiled chicken sandwich which tastes so good.

Newscience and gregm like this.
  15. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is up to the consumer to clear the table at fast food places/shopping center food courts in the US, but in many other countries - Indonesia and China for example - it's not.

B1BomberVB and gregm like this.
  16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can tell you the KFC chicken is skinner in China, McD's about the same, but even in the US KFC quality varies,

WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  17. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have overcome the first obstacle of [fast food] addiction; admitting you have a problem!!;)

WilliamQ likes this.
  18. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree!

Sammich and WilliamQ like this.
  19. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    traveler likes this.
  20. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And in a few years the French and Italians will have grown to be as overweight as we Americans. ::eek:

21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my perspective this entire concept is quite seriously out of date. yes, Americans can be boorish. However, today there are many more Chinese roaming around insisting on their own unique quirks than there are Americans doing the same. In the South of France these days one hears discussion of Chinese, Russians, Germans and some others well before targeting the US.

As for the pseudo-food interests, calling them "French Fries" probably will grate, but the product itself is ubiquitous and the US is less obsessed with them than are many other countries.

For sartorial offenses, anybody who's observed visitors from northern climes of Europe while on holiday in Southern Europe is unlikely to take unique offence at the loud boors from the USA. The former are easy to spot ass they generally have socks with their loud bermudas and louder voices,

Has anybody here every been at a breakfast buffet in any hotel anywhere in the world when a Chinese group is in residence? If you have you certainly know it! Are the citizens of the USA even close to that? No!

I absolutely refuse to defend the poor comportment of some USA-origin tourists. That said, these days the Ugly American no longer ranks with the rankest. They aren't numerous enough or wealthy enough to be in that situation. Beyond that, the vast majority to travelling Americans these days seem quite polite and well-behaved wherever I see them.

Lastly, the Everybody-Should-Speak-English crowd are no longer USA and England-centric. When you want to see that particular offence you might well observe the legions of over-funded Brazilians, Chinese, etc who wander the world assuming that all people speak English everywhere (except in their home countries, that is, of course)

So, please, everyone: given the poor Americans a break. There's no justification to beating them up anymore.

I must admit that I was US born, even though I have another nationality too. Maybe I do not see all this clearly but I think I do.

22. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree with this. All countries have jerks and morons. I've seen several articles (some of them probably posted here, too lazy to go back and check) regarding the conduct of Chinese tourists. One article even talked about the Chinese government publishing a guide for tourists on how to behave when in a foreign country. Another article talked about how a Chinese tourist carved their name or initials on an ancient archaeological site.

As far as food goes, when I travel (within or outside the US), I'm looking for food that tastes good (just like when I'm at home). I really don't care about much more than that. Local food, American-type food, I don't really care that much, as long as it tastes good. I usually don't go out of my way to find specific types of food. The main exception is when I'm in Las Vegas, and that's more because I've been there so many times than looking for a specific type of food.

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until this bit I was with you completely. A quick visit to Long Beach Dempsey in Singapore for:
    Long Beach black pepper crab.jpg

http://www.longbeachseafood.com.sg/outlets_ind.php?id=7

will prove my point. I go out of my way to find special things where they exist.

B1BomberVB, Newscience, gregm and 2 others like this.
  24. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not. I like food, but I just don't care about it enough to go out of my way to find it. As long as it tastes good, I don't care about it enough to go out of my way for it.

anileze and jbcarioca like this.
  25. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember going back some years ago in a restaurant in Vienna, I was quietly eating my dinner and there was a table of American tourists sitting very close to me. The waiter came to take the order and of course everything was in German. One guy was struggling to figure out what to order, just got up went to the table next to him where there were diners and pointed to a plate of food and said to the waiter "I want whatever it is he is eating." One other time in Vienna, I was looking at a map and a couple came up to me and asked me in German if I required help, I politely informed them that I did not speak German, they apologized to me for not speaking English very well, I told them that I was in their country and I should apologize to them for not being able to communicate in their language, why should they communicate in mine while I am a guest in there country even though they tried. Things have changed somewhat, but you still get those who display the American flag on their T-shirts or talk loudly so that all will know they are Americans, it's really a foolish thing to do in this day and age with so many people from other countries that dislike Americans.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    B1BomberVB, Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.