10 signs you're a terrible traveler

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...6/10-signs-youre-a-terrible-traveler/1896285/

You know the guy who's always holding up the plane by trying to cram five bags, a jacket, and a pillow into the overhead compartment? Don't be that guy. Read on to discover 10 warning signs that you may be a terrible traveler.

You have an expired passport and you don't even know it

Some countries require that your passport be valid for at least six months after the completion of your trip just in order to enter. You may think you're in the clear if your passport expires in 2014, but if you've got a trip planned for November 2013, you'd better get it renewed before then. Always research entry requirements, including visas and vaccines, and be sure your passport is up-to-date. (If you find out the night before that your passport is expired, read this simple solution to a last-minute passport snafu to learn what you can do to save your trip.)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...6/10-signs-youre-a-terrible-traveler/1896285/

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

zpaul likes this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have an expired passport and you don't even know it

Or worse yet, you don't have a passport, period!

zpaul, sobore, ella and 2 others like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That takes the cake!

Mapsmith, foxberg and sobore like this.
  5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're cutting it too close

Arriving at the airport 30 minutes before your flight...Yeah, I've done that before at SFO (although not on purpose- damn Bay Area traffic) I even still managed to check bags. Very stressful though.

anabolism, sobore and Mapsmith like this.
  6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You spend all your time on the computer

"Joe Schmo has checked in at a deserted beach (with Wi-Fi!)." "Joe Schmo is living the dream in paradise." "Joe Schmo has Instagrammed 500 new pictures." When you see hundreds of real-time social-media updates from the same person on your feeds, don't you wonder if he's really making the most out of his trip? Don't view your vacation from behind a screen. Uploading pictures and editing your Facebook status can wait until you get back, so put down the smartphone and step away from the computer!

I think we're all a little guilty of this one at times. :(

7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm lucky... all of my travel stress so far has been induced by others (e.g. 2-hour connection at ORD turns into 40-minute inter-terminal transfer at ORD).

I do admit to being overweight on bags a couple of times. It never happens to me at my origin, but flying onward or to my destination, it's been an issue two or three times. I should really get a little bag scale.

anabolism, sobore, Mapsmith and 3 others like this.
  8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Facebook, I usually check in at the airport, post a picture or two during the trip and check in again at the airport going back. That's the extent of my feeds while traveling.

sobore, servo and hulagrrl210 like this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Between foursquare, twitter, facebook, uppward, flightaware...I stay pretty busy at the airport, however when I get to my destination I like to switch things off and post pictures and stuff when I get home. Then I get to relive the whole experience one more time.

bez7 and sobore like this.
  10. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The airport is (hopefully) the most boring part of the trip outside of the flight itself, unless you're in J or F.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite right. Do not assume that all passengers would have taken the steps necessary to be allowed to enter some destination country, especially one with a visa requirement; and virtually every country, even those that waive the visa requirement, requires that the passport be valid for at least 6 months. This is the main reason why United (and maybe other airlines too) does not allow online check in for international travel. They need to be proactive in ensuring that passengers have the documents required to enter an international destination country by physically examining the docs -- so no OLCI for intl travel, which has some folks in here ranting ad nauseam. The airlines are liable if a passenger is denied entry into a country because of invalid docs, and if the passenger must be returned to the country of origin, the airline will have to bear the costs (depending on the country, but the airline will try pass the costs onto the deported passenger)...

Relatedly,
    I arrived in Ho Chi Mihn City (Saigon; SGN)** on Dec 30, 2012, and having done my homework to find out about the entry requirements for Vietnam, I knew that there was a visa requirement for US citizens. However, this requirement could be fulfilled by getting a Visa on Arrival (VOA) after having submitted an application for the VOA online and gotten confirmation, a copy of which was required to be allowed to get the VOA. There was, of course, a fee to pay on arrival for the VOA and they prefer that it be in US dollars (USD) and cash only. Unfortunately for me I had not carefully checked to see how much money I had on me, and found out that I did not have enough USDs to cover the cost of the VOA! I asked if I could pay in local currency and I was told that would be fine, but the hitch was that I did not have any Vietnamese money (Dong) either and all the ATMs were located after passport control! I looked around and saw someone wearing a United badge standing not too far from where we were (maybe there to make sure that all was okay with the arriving UA passengers); I approached him and explained my conundrum. He said he could help and asked me to follow him to one of the special entry lanes, where he explained the situation to an agent. Without any fuss, I was allowed to cross passport control to find an ATM, with the United agent in tow, and got the Dongs to pay for the VOA. I paid a little extra in Dongs so I was owed some money back, and they gave it back to me in USDs, including a $2 bill that I still have for good luck!

I hope this experience will be of some help to others, but it illustrates the difference between domestic and intl travel. For the latter, one has got to do extra preparation, and the airlines take nothing for granted so...no OLCI for many intl destinations.

**This post has been amended to change the city/country from Jakarta/Indonesia to Ho Chi Minh City/Vietnam, where the event related occurred (the presence of the UA agent got me wondering because I had arrived in Jakarta on SQ, so there was no reason for there to be a UA agent. Rather, I had arrived in SGN from HKG on UA117).

hulagrrl210, sobore and Counsellor like this.
  12. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to unfriend/stop following!

anabolism likes this.
  13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Some airports have such understated artwork, true.
    IMG_5776.jpg

hulagrrl210, sobore and foxberg like this.
  14. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    An extension of carry-on stuff should be people (usually older gents) that have just a jacket and a hat (baseball cap even!) that they insist on spreading out in the overhead compartment on a full flight. I see quite a bit of that flying in/out of Phoenix. I once witnessed one of these gentlemen actively ignoring a polite young man asking if he can move it. Thankfully, flight attendant just took it out and gave them to the owner and that was that.

sobore, anabolism and foxberg like this.
  15. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah, that's OK, because that guy isn't going to be traveling.

16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, OLCI for an international trip requires entering passport details, including expiration date. Admittedly, they don't ask how many blank entry/exit/visa pages you have (which some countries are picky about), but still, no reason to deny OLCI. A GA can still physically check for such things.

17. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sure hope you wrote to UA to profusely thank the person who helped you.

18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, please. Checking in online or not is orthogonal to knowing if your flight time changed. Sign up for flight status alerts from your airline or travel agent or a third-party service.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  19. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:

Sorry, I don't hold with this one either. Almost every decent hotel in the world has power adapters to loan you. No need to beg. Some hotels charge a deposit, some charge if it isn't returned, some just hand one out of lost and found.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  20. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:

Best one in the whole column, IMHO.

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The passport per se is easy to deal with after it's been scanned once to ensure that the info is correct. Thus, there is OLCI to some intl destinations (US<->EU). The situation is more complicated for countries with a visa requirement. So, the overall idea is to deny a passenger a boarding pass upfront if the docs are not valid, and not let him cross security check and roam freely around the airport before a GA determines that the docs are invalid or likely forgeries...
    I did not get the agent's name and a "thank you" to someone I could not name would probably not be as effective. However, I did profusely and sincerely thank the agent and I am sure he knew I meant it.;)

BTW, there is a way to include multiple responses in a single post instead of posting each response separately...

22. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

like this...

desamo likes this.