10 Reasons Why iPhone 5 will be Beaten by Samsung Galaxy S2

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by uggboy, Sep 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mapsmith and Kalboz like this.
  2. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Interesting article, especially the part about Verizon NOT offering the S2..

Jimgotkp and uggboy like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting read. HOWEVER, not one word about the Telephone capability. Out here in the boonies, sometimes it would be nice to have a smart phone that works as a phone too. 4G is nice if it is available. (not available on any company in the area of my house, or even my business!). Would just like the phone companies to focus on the telephone part for once.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll say from the start I am looking forward to a likely purchase of iPhone5 next month.

However, as someone who has never own an Apple device, and someone out of contract, I'm open to looking at other devices (I had better expectations for the Motorola Droid Bionic).

But to have a comparison to the iPhone5 when it hasn't even been released yet? Let alone announced by Apple?

Seems to me if they're going to bring up the "iPhone killer" claim (how many others have there been?), and compare itself to iPhone5 regardless of narrative, wouldn't it make sense to a least know the specs on the device you're claiming is dead?

Article comes over as sour grapes and a third-grade level read.

uggboy and roberton3 like this.
  5. roberton3
    Original Member

roberton3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen a million articles like this about other phones: "Here's why Phone X will beat the iPhone!" None of those phones have even come close to beating the iPhone. It's getting rather tedious...

uggboy likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not reading any of those articles.

roberton3 and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apple is not the holy grail, it's a marketing machine who produces everything in China and stamps a eaten on apple on their products and charges too much, because they can, hello brain washed media everywhere, which Apple influences of course with a media gun fire which is places in a way to full-fill their dream of saving the world and enriching themselves.

flyingdawg and Gargoyle like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that what everyone would do? Charge what the market will bear?

But in the case of iOS devices, I am not even sure they are that much more expensive than competitors with similar specs.

uggboy likes this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fully agreed!

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I don't think Apple is the holy grail either. I'm not blind to Apple's tactics either.

I do know that a hell of a lot of people like their iPhones, and after playing with other peoples' iPhones, to me, they are solid devices.

I have had my BlackBerry Storm (and Storm 2) for nearly three years now. It's dying....fast. Can hold out for another month or two, but that's probably about it.

Honestly, earlier this year, I thought I would be buying an HTC Thunderbolt. Failed to meet my expectations. Same can be said for the Motorola Bionic. Both had so much promise out of CES his year, both limped out of the gate.

It will probably be another couple of years before Android hits the bulls-eye with THE phone. Which maker builds it, who knows.

Hardly an Apple fanboy, but they do seem to have the best smartphone out there right now.

uggboy likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great thread... and I love this topic. Despite having learned some of my basic computer skills on an Apple II Europlus way back in the dark ages, I never caught on to the Ipod, Ipad and Iphone craze...... until about 1 year ago when I bit the bullet and purchased an unlocked Iphone 4 from Canada.

I still have mixed feelings about Apple.... but have to admit that the User Interface is second to none, their OS stability is just amazing, and the application craze is second to none... its a cult device of sorts and call it marketing, mystique or whatever.... folks of all ages are nuts about most things Apple.

I dont think I will go for an Iphone 5... at least until its about 12 months old and prices go down.... unless I can source an unlocked version from Canada at a decent price that is... :p

As for Samsung, Nokia, Sony and the others.... I wish they could come out with a feasible alternative to the Iphone that offered similar stability, UI and applications.... competition would be a great thing for consumers... if I could find a proper Windows based phone I would probably carry around two devices.....

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  12. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see Android as fragmented. Samsung's doing a good job separating their Galaxy devices from the rest of the generic Android ones, but it's still under Google's shadow. Unless they significantly alter and remarket the devices as purely their own, nothing would beat the iPhone in a consumer's eyes.

uggboy likes this.
  13. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a samsung Android device, and I really don't like the skin they install on it. I much prefer HTC's Sense UI as a skin on top of stock Android.

The one strength of iOS is that they present a unified ecosystem. iTunes makes it easy to upgrade and manage music and apps, while Android lacks a good management system that people know about.

uggboy likes this.
  14. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most phones also provide over-the-air software updates, way before iOS 5 was announced, I think? (Though this feature's at the mercy of everyone's respective telcos to provide for updates.)

Most Android users tout the ability to manage files through the file system as a feature. As an iOS user myself, I would love to have this feature. No more loading up good ol' bloated iTunes just to copy some music over.

uggboy likes this.
  15. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    The article states:

The Sprint and AT&T version of Galaxy S2 is equipped with dual-core 1.2 GHz ARM Cortex-A9 Mali-400MP GPU Orion chipset, while the T-Mobile version will be powered by a 1.5 GHz dual core Qualcomm APQ8060 processor. It is backed by 1 GB of RAM.

I wonder why T-Mobile opted for a different processor?

The Sprint model is only CDMA so you will not have the ability to use it worldwide where GSM rules!

uggboy likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you answered the question about why there are two different processors.

Excellent point by the way that almost the entire world uses GSM as a standard- so if planning to travel outside the USA and Canada, a CDMA phone won't be very useful (I suppose you could find wifi somewhere and use ip telephony).

uggboy likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On the other hand, a major downside of being able to use my AT&T iPhone abroad is that I am reminded on each trip how absolutely terrible the 3G network is back home.

flyingdawg and TRAVELSIG like this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard that... The best 3G network coverage I have received was in Cambodia... go figure...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was recently in South Korea (mostly Seoul). Excellent coverage everywhere I went, including the subway, with the exception of the DMZ where Kim-Il-Jong and his brother Mentally-Il block all service. And to think that my 3 or 4 year old Lonely Planet claimed that a GSM phone would be useless due to the country using CDMA...

20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    South Korea has excellent connectivity. Lonely Planet used to be so reliable- now.....

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know historically they were a CDMA country; did the iPhone force the GSM uptake? I was surprised about the number of iOS devices I saw everywhere on the home turf of Samsung and LG.

22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what the reasons were for the switches from CDMA to GSM- however GSM phones have worked fine in Korea for at least 10 years in my experiences. Iphone is a global phenomenon.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  23. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is T-Mobile not a viable option for you guys? (Apart from only having EDGE connectivity as far as I know.)

24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In which countries???

25. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    The US.