10 Popular Travel Scams Around the World

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2011/08/13/10-popular-travel-scams-around-world/?test=faces

You may have heard of, or fallen victim to, the old "catch my baby while we pick your pockets" scheme. The new class of tourist rip-off makes that look like chump change.

Orlando

Here's a scam so bad even Mickey Mouse took a stand. Guests in hotels around Disney World have been finding pizza delivery menus conveniently slipped under their doors, but place an order-and make the mistake of giving your credit card number-and you'll really pay. The phone number isn't connected to a pizza parlor but to identity thieves. Disney World supported a law designed to crack down on the people handing out the fliers, but Orlando police say the problem persists.

Solution: If you're craving a slice, get a recommendation from the hotel.

Vietnam

In Vietnam, open-ended bus tickets are the best way to travel at your own pace between Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, and the Sinh Tourist line is widely considered the best. So widely considered, in fact, its many impostors call themselves Sinh Tourist, too. Because of Vietnam's lax intellectual property laws, it's difficult to know which Sinh is the real deal. Take the wrong carrier, and you'll get iffy service or, worse, an unexpected overnight stop at an overpriced hotel in cahoots with the bus line. "In summary," says Stuart McDonald of travelfish.org, which travel advice site covering Southeast Asia, "it is a snake pit!"

Solution: Always use the bus company's official website: thesinhtourist.vn.

Read More http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2011/08/13/10-popular-travel-scams-around-world/?test=faces

savydog, alohastephen and Mike1625 like this.
  2. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was a good read. I remember being on my honeymoon and somewhere touristy in Paris, having a man (claimed he was from Nigeria) strike up a conversation, and want to give me a braclet to symbolize our new friendship. It was woven of colorful threads (hand done in probably 2 mins or less on the street). He tied it on tight, with a tough knot. It wouldn't come off. Now he demands 10 Euros for the braclet, and it won't come off. At this moment you start to feel surrounded by his friends. I ended up giving him 4 euros, claiming it was all I had, and he could take the braclet back if he could figure out how to cut it off.

Just about 2 months ago in Iquitos Peru, a rickshaw drive quoted me a price of 5 sols to take me to my hotel from the airport, but I had to pay upfront. It was 20 more sols once we got to the hotel. I paid because it was a pretty long ride, and would have thought 25 was a fair price. (by the way, rickshaw = motor bike with a cart in the back, not person pushing/pulling by hand)

Always good to share these things, hope they can help someone else avoid a pitfall.

sobore likes this.
  3. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a popular one from Eastern Europe & elsewhere:
    Lucky (of One Mile at a Time blog fame) almost got sucked into this one in Kuala Lumpur, so it's not just a European scam.

4. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dare I ask what happens if you do not actually have $1,000 or whatever the amount is?

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you enter a foreign land and instantly become Brad Pitt the red flags should going up, especially if you look like John Goodman from Roseanne. (NOTE: This does not apply to Dovster)

6. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had the bracelet encounter in the Bahamas. Some "friendship" bracelet became $5, which was then returned despite continued pleas of "You be nice!" from the formerly friendly but increasingly annoyed woman trying to give the bracelet away sell the bracelet. Saw the CD scam in NYC for the first time on my trip there in June as well.