10 most expensive restaurants in the world

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Nov 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...el-TopStories+(USATODAY+-+Travel+Top+Stories)

Fine dining at Michelin-starred restaurants around the world can come at a price. But what you get for those high price tags (which can often be accompanied by sticker shock) are outstanding dining experiences that can take you to a castle in Switzerland or to an underwater culinary experience in the Maldives. From Japan to Europe to the Big Apple, luxe dining menus are often designed tasting courses paired with wines, which substantially adds to the consumer's bottom line.

Japanese restaurants all over the world often charge premium prices for lavish seafood experiences. Masa in New York City, for example, costs $450 per person before beverages, gratuity or tax, all of which can easily take the bill up to roughly $600 per person for its tasting experience. And be sure not to cancel a reservation at Masa — that, too, will cost you (close to $200 per person).

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...el-TopStories+(USATODAY+-+Travel+Top+Stories)

Sammich, Bill Hunt, uggboy and 5 others like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are eating at #6 in January

Sammich, uggboy, Espan and 2 others like this.
  3. I am here now!

I am here now! Active Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to go to #5 just to see if that beef is really that great. In the meantime, I'll do my best to "survive" with cheaper options.

uggboy, Espan and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    seems kitschy but hopefully quality is there, please report back:)
    Have you tried true Kobe beef? (not American Kobe/waygu)

uggboy and Espan like this.
  5. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I clicked the link and am just waiting for someone to buy me one of those $1200 margaritas...

MSYgirl and uggboy like this.
  6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I ate at Maison Pic in 1986 and had a lovely conversation with the gracious Jacques Pic. It was the best restaurant dining experience we ever had. We left after four hours.:eek:

My recollection is that the meal (lunch) cost us $ 100 USD when it was 6.6 francs to the USD.

Espan likes this.
  7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I read the article three times looking for that $1200 margarita. Cheap chips and salsa on the side complete the expensive meal for me!

Espan likes this.
  8. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have only dined at #8. I was surprised to not see Joël Robuchon at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV, USA in the list. Now, it is tough to break out the wines, but our total bill indicates that the Menu Degustation cost about US $475 pp. and with the wines ran about US $1200 pp.

Hunt

9. smitty06

smitty06 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had a high bill at Joel Robuchon as well. I should have known that when a restaurant sends a limo to bring you for dinner, the bill will be outrageous.

10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This article - and perhaps some follow-on comments - appear to indicate that restaurant meal quality is dictated by the price paid for the meal. :cool:

I would disagree, as such an adage (the highest price paid = the best quality) simply is rarely true. :(

For example, any wine aficionado can recount stories of superb wines that can be found in the $20-$30 price range, while there is no lack of 2nd rate wines being sold in the $100+ price range. The price alone simply does not dictate quality, whether in wines or in restaurants! :rolleyes:

The price of a restaurant may help a consumers as a guide, but other factors need to be accounted for... :)

11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I eat in restaurants known throughout the world all the time and they don't cost nearly that much. (e.g. McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks....)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    colt245, Newscience and Sammich like this.
  12. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heading there in July. Let me know how it is :)

13. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Going to Dinner by Heston on the 25th, dreading the bill, but hopefully it will all be worth it!

14. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    We did not get the limo offer, but friends have twice???? That, after having just done his London/Soho L'Atelier (third time), and Paris L'Atelier (second time)... I want my LIMO!! [Grin]

15. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have not done Dinner, but hope to soon. I read and hear only good things.

Enjoy!

colt245 likes this.
  16. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks I will let you know how i find it!