10 Most Expensive Places To Visit

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MLW20, Jan 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    cennas and rwoman like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scandinavia is definitely expensive. I got stuck in Oslo due to volcanic ash for almost a week. It was very costly and I was very glad it was a work trip and they foot most of the expenses!!

cennas, jbcarioca and MLW20 like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must include Moscow. It can be very pricey.

cennas and jbcarioca like this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been wanting to visit Norway. Been to Denmark two times- Copenhagen is probably the most expensive city I've been to.

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Norway is great! Just expensive. I want to go to Tromso for the Midnight Sun at some point!

:)

6. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Copenhagen and Oslo are definitely the most expensive city to visit IMO, that's why we moved away from Copenhagen to the other side of the sea. Hotel is expensive, but the worst is eating out - you even have to pay for tap water in restaurants.
    Oslo is expensive but I think it's not as bad as it used to be, now I think it's similar to Copenhagen.
    Zurich is bad too but I think you get better quality in everything than in Denmark/Norway (base on my trips in other Swiss cities).
    Have just been to SG, hotel was bad but apart from that it's fairly cheap to eat and get around.
    Geneva is expensive but at the same time you can stay and shop in France (20 mins away), which is not that bad. We went shopping in France while we visited Geneva.
    Helsinki is actually very afforable - much cheaper than Denmark.
    Stockholm is not that bad either - hotel is not cheap but at the same time you are paying Swedish price which is 20% lower than Denmark.

jbcarioca, rwoman and MLW20 like this.
  7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I visited Helsinki & Malmo as a day trips so I can only judge based on short visits. I also found them to not be so bad.

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  8. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think for Norway, Sweden and Finland the most expensive item would be alcohol. I don't drink so it doesn't affect me. You need to buy anything that is more than 3% alcohol in government run shops. In Denmark you can buy alcohol in supermarkets but it's still pretty expensive (not as bad as in other Nordic countries).

sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  9. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to Helsinki many times, my company was formerly headquartered there and I must be doing something right because I've never found it expensive. Well, food is high but hotel is always reasonable and attractions are as well.

Paris and London on the other hand, ouch. And Geneva... That's a whole new level of expensive. (I'll experience Tokyo in just a few months)

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tokyo is definitely expensive thanks to the recent inflation and earthquake/tsunami.

rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  11. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think Singapore is expensive compared to Hong Kong. In fact, the Yahoo criteria of using average hotel prices is flawed, as there are many cheap hotels in Singapore that aren't bookable through the usual systems. And if I can get complete meals for $2-3 USD (albeit not at restaurants), I'd hardly consider that expensive at all.

sobore, rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without being unduly nasty about it, US news and World Report is only US News, I suspect. They are quite clueless about international costs. I don't even know where to start, but I do notice several of you point out obvious flaws. The very expensive places they miss make a number of these seem cheap.

cennas, Tenmoc and rwoman like this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think Scandanavia can be quite reasonable as long as you are careful.

At the moment very expensive places for business travel which I have recently found include:
    Moscow
    Tokyo
    Zurich
    Geneva
    Sao Paolo
    Shanghai
    Sydney
    Manhattan

sobore, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way one lives does establish expensive or not for sure. For example, almost everyone eats street food in Singapore, almost no one does in Moscow. Public transportation is often the only practical choice in NYC, Paris, London, Tokyo, Seoul and Moscow. A side benefit is that local travel suddenly becomes cheap in those otherwise expensive places. I find it far easier to agree on the cheapest places for business travel than I do the most expensive.

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent point.

16. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I am thinking of most expensive places to travel, I am only looking at it as a leisure traveler. I always love reading these lists because I think if you ask 5 different magazines, chances are you will get 5 different lists...
    We have to assume they are using various statistics to come up with their selections. My opinions are based on experience from traveling to some of these places and a little bit more from reading...

17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a leisure traveller there are always many options- come on off season/weekend or weekday (depending on destination)/use points for redemptions/take public transit even if it takes longer/stay in a bed and breakfast/rent an apartment etc.

For example, in Shanghai it is very easy to stay inexpensively as a tourist with flexibility. The opposite is cities where charges are set up to be exorbitantly expensive for business visitors.

rwoman, jbcarioca and MLW20 like this.
  18. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly- I primarily stay in hostels & guesthouses. I do not find value in pricey hotels. I want a decent location at a cheap price.

rwoman, TRAVELSIG and jbcarioca like this.
  19. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is the current currency issues that make SYD so bleeping expensive. Minimum wage is over 15/h and things are priced for a 70UScents to 1AUD. But as we know it is currently 1.04US to 1AUD. Making this extremely expensive for everything.

cennas, rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the same issue several other countries have, like Brazil. OTOH, The Euro zone is suddenly cheap for all of us! Time for all Aussies and Brazilians to go to Europe. All flights Brazil-Eurozone are stuffed full of all of us looking to spend our overvalued Reais. An unusualy number of Australians seem bent to the same purpose for their A$. Good on us!

cennas, rwoman, Tenmoc and 1 other person like this.
  21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is perfect for leisure trips!
    The problem with business trips is often it is not possible to decide where to stay.

22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good!
    Come to Europe and spend as much as much as much as much as possible.
    The eurozone needs the money.

23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are trying as hard as we can!! I will be back in two weeks time to try again!

rwoman and TRAVELSIG like this.
  24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Europe thanks you for spending and assisting this perilous market:
    [​IMG]

25. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry...just bought most of my groceries on base...I will help support the EU economy tomorrow though. :)

cennas and Tenmoc like this.