10 money saving travel tips the airlines don't want you to know about

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.news10.net/news/article/...tips-the-airlines-dont-want-you-to-know-about

If it seems like the airlines have a few new tricks up their sleeves this summer, it's not your imagination. The Department of Transportation (DOT) may have taken some of the sting out of deceptive pricing practices, but it hasn't done much to change the fact that summer airfare is expensive-or that the airlines are still being sneaky with their fare rules and restrictions.

Whether it's new carry-on bag fees, hidden fuel surcharges, or coordinated price hikes for popular travel days, the airlines are always doing something to get hold of just a little more of your money.
    Fight back with these 10 tips. Some are new, some are new twists on tried-and-true strategies, and some are specific to this summer. Altogether, they'll give you a fighting chance at taming the high cost of your summer flights.

Read More: http://www.news10.net/news/article/...tips-the-airlines-dont-want-you-to-know-about

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just be cautious of APD if looking to stay in the UK!! ;)

perryplatypus and sobore like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, another antedotal experience... in looking at my LHR-NYC trip in July, the metasearch sites showed fares $1300+ across all the carriers...while aa.com was $920...

:)

perryplatypus, wrxmom and sobore like this.
  4. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see anything new on that list. It's the same list "experts" have been preaching on morning shows for years. And I've found "bargain" fares no matter which day/night of the week I'm searching.

perryplatypus likes this.
  5. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still could benefit newer travelers though. Even if they only learn one thing they didn't know before but could help them save money, that's still a positive.