10 Hotel Secrets

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MX, Jun 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Number 7 is interesting, because lately we've started using Jetsetter... A LOT... for our weekend getaways, and we've had some AMAZING experiences. Our first use of Jetsetter was at the Hotel Monaco in Washington DC, where we stayed for just two nights, our first stay ever at a Kimpton hotel. The manager even picked up breakfast for us at the very nice hotel restaurant on our last day. We stayed at a small B&B in the North Carolina mountains, and had the largest suite in the place. And we got an awesome hookup at the Hotel Monaco Chicago with great views of the city.

I had a very in-depth conversation with the assistant manager at the Hotel Monaco Chicago about it. When I expressed my surprise that we'd been treated so well with very little track record of Kimpton loyalty and discounted rates, he just smiled and said that Jetsetter had been very good to them.

I'd imagine if you're booking Hampton Inn's on Hotwire, then yes, you're at more risk of being walked, or getting a crappy room, but if you're booking a premier brand though a site like Jetsetter, I think it matters less. Whether it was intentional or not, Kimpton has turned us into a couple that will look for Kimpton hotels in cities we want to visit. They've taken the fact that we picked up a couple discount rates to try the brand, they gave us kick ass service, which will come back into their pockets with years of future business.

I've never slipped the front desk agent cash, but I have gone out of my way to recognize excellent service via the hotel's (or brand's) Facebook and Twitter profiles. I have found that to be rewarding.

Mapsmith and MX like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great tips, thanks!

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree somewhat on #7 --- I've booked rooms at deep discount rates (through Hilton) and received upgrades --

one example to a room over looking the American Falls in N. Falls....

another to a Gulf side room at a Hilton Resort in Key Largo and

one to a suite at a Hilton Resort near Santa Fe -- in that case I paid 70 for a room with a rack rate of 700....

It helped to be Hilton Diamond, but I got that as a result of a challenge 7 stays in 30 days and I did that by going on a trip where we had to be in a different city each night.

DTW

Mapsmith, MX and webdes03 like this.
  5. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably argue that if you're a Diamond it pretty much doesn't matter how low your rate is. The vast majority of people aren't going to dig into your history to see how you obtained that status... to them you're a Diamond, and a force to be reckoned with. Walking a Diamond or giving a Diamond a crummy room is probably in the top couple things Hilton doesn't want their staff to do.

Mapsmith and MX like this.
  6. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree; at first I thought status at any level would negate #2 & #7 but almost every chain offers way to achieve first or second tier status with no stays...they may not value that as much as an "earned" status. Diamond or Platinum should be no questions though.

7. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    My real curiosity is the last one: if you offer the money afterword it's a tip, if you offer it before it's a bribe. My concern would be that you would have little recourse if you slip the front desk clerk a Jackson and after it's in his pocket he still says he can't help. At that point what do you say?

MX likes this.
  8. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice and thanks for your sharing.

9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    This reminded me of one awkward moment from Seinfeld in a Chinese restaurant. :D

rockyrock likes this.
  10. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:

I'm still curious about this one, anyone have any feedback? I have a stay next month and if my MR Gold doesn't get me anywhere I'd like to try this...