10 free things hotels provide

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Oct 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/hotels/2013/10/24/free-things-hotels-front-desk/3171963/

On a business trip several years ago, I checked into my hotel only to realize I had left my entire bag of toiletries at home. After frantically searching the area for a late-night drugstore, I eventually paid a pretty penny at a bodega for a handful of overpriced, off-brand bottles. When I returned to the hotel lobby, footsore and $60 poorer, I mentioned to the front-desk agent my madcap dash around the city. She looked at me sideways, and then handed me an entire kit of toiletries … for free.

Lesson learned: Before buying something you've forgotten to pack, always check with the hotel. To give you a sense of what kinds of things might be available, here are some items many hotels will provide on the house.

Chargers
    Forgot to pack your shiny new iPhone 5S power cord? Other travelers' forgetfulness may help you get out of this bind: Gadling notes that mobile-phone chargers were the number-one most left-behind item in hotel rooms in 2010, and hotels often lend out spare chargers. So next time your battery is draining and you're powerless to stop it, pop down to the front desk and see if they've got an extra. More likely than not, the front-desk agent will produce a box with a veritable rainbow of phone chargers.

Travel guides
    You may not need to purchase every single map, travel book, and city guide that your local bookstore has to offer. Hotels often stock these guides in the lobby or, better yet, in each guest room. Some properties, such as Holiday Inn, provide a binder of local dining and attractions recommendations on each room's work desk.

Hair tools
    A compact hair dryer is usually available in domestic hotel rooms. But what about other hair tools, such as straighteners and curling irons? When it comes to free amenities, Kimpton is king: As part of their "Forgot It? We've Got It!" amenities program, Kimpton properties will lend guests a straightening iron or curling iron for free. Similarly, the Georgian Court Hotel in Vancouver offers a women-only Orchid Floor, where flat and curling irons come standard. And finally, Hyatt's newly launched "Hyatt Has It" program offers curling and flat irons at some participating locations.

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/hotels/2013/10/24/free-things-hotels-front-desk/3171963/

timfrost, MSYgirl and uggboy like this.