10 fashion faux pas travelers should avoid

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...hion-faux-pas-travelers-should-avoid/1952409/

Just because you're living out of a suitcase doesn't mean you can't be fashionably (and appropriately) dressed for every occasion. Are you guilty of any of these crimes against travel fashion?

Sandals with socks
    If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a tourist in Tevas and white tube socks, I'd have enough to buy at least one of those misguided souls a new pair of shoes. I'll never understand this fashion faux pas—if you want warm toes, why not wear closed-toe shoes with socks? Or if your feet get too sweaty, why are you wearing socks with your sandals?

Fanny packs
    Nothing says "rob me" (or "quietly mock me behind my back") like a fanny pack. Why are you strapping all your valuables around your waist? Invest in a theft-proof bag, wear your wallet in your front pocket, or use a cross-body bag—all of these will give you better pickpocket protection without stamping you as a tourist from the land where fashion died.

Souvenir shirts you just bought
    Dear tourist in your newly purchased "I Heart New York" T-shirt who just suddenly stopped in the middle of the sidewalk to pull out a giant map, thereby causing a pedestrian pile-up—I hate you, and I know how much you paid for that low-quality shirt because I see them being hawked on every street corner. Save the souvenir shirts for when you get home. Better yet, buy a cool shirt that will just remind you of the place in which you bought it rather than a boring souvenir shirt that just has the name of a city ironed onto it. Plus, you'll get to be the smug traveler who replies, "Oh, this? I just picked it up in a little shop in Milan" whenever someone asks you where you bought your swanky outfit.

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...hion-faux-pas-travelers-should-avoid/1952409/

ducster, 8MiHi, Schali and 1 other person like this.
  2. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love these USA Today lists- perfect bathroom reading!

8MiHi and Schali like this.
  3. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would just dress up like this to see other peoples' reactions - go FiveFingers ;)

ducster likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is #5 on my top 10 list of stupid articles I came across today.

Schali, ducster, 8MiHi and 1 other person like this.
  5. Schali

Schali Silver Member

Status Points:
    And sooo entertaining - go yellow press ;)

ducster likes this.