10 Dirty Hotel Fees You Should Never Pay

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Dec 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || 10 Dirty Hotel Fees You Should Never Pay ||

EXAMPLE:

Common Sense! :)

Jimgotkp and sobore like this.
  2. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Resort Fees: "Be sure to find out exactly what the daily fee will be, and factor that in when you're comparing prices. You may be better off choosing another hotel altogether."

Um, yeah. So, your recommendation on never paying this fee is to go somewhere that doesn't charge it. Uh, huh. :(

MrAlexMoore and uggboy like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who works in hotels, it amazing how many fees there are. Even I hate paying these fees but I have to charge all the guests.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who ran a small inn, though, I understand extra person charges. (After having dragged rollaways upstairs, seen what even one extra person can do to a room, and fed a kid or three breakfast.)

5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the extra person charges. It's amazing how many people cram into a room :eek:

MrAlexMoore and uggboy like this.
  6. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone stayed at hotels such as the Novotel at BKK? I believe they have 24-hour check-in- 'tis the only reason I ask. Is Novotel finding success with this and extending it to other (airport) hotels, or are there just a select few places to make it worth implementing the policy? Seems to me it would be quite convenient in the Mid-East and India.

Sean Colahan and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we have stayed a few times @ the Novotel BKK, but have not used this new service so far. I believe it's a testing phase and when successful it could be introduced to many more Accor airport properties worldwide. BTW. the Regal Hong Kong Airport does also offer this flexible 24h policy.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I recall correctly, Starwood offers that as a benefit for Platinum members. And yes, it would have been very convenient (or rather, cost effective for my employer) for my India trips.

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only for Platinums with at least 75 qualifying nights:

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The mini-fridge charge is hilarious - but i disagree with their solution (get ice). When I need a fridge, I tell them that I need it for my medicine that needs to be refrigerated. In the US, they're not allowed to ask about your medicine, they must simply provide the fridge for your medicine free of charge.

Early check-in fees i'd gladly pay if i'm flying from an red-eye and I want a shower/nap. It's all about value to that person. Outside of some vegas hotels, i've never seen it as a charge.

Fees like wifi i try to avoid when possible, or it's usually bundled with a resort fee. I'd rather not have a resort fee and pay for wifi when i need it. To say never pay it is silly.

The article seems geared toward infrequent family travelers, vs. frequent travelers that make up the majority of this forum.

uggboy likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should understand that Starwood's new Plat75 benefit differs from the standard 24 hour checkin policies offered by a few other hotels in that it can only be confirmed shortly before your arrival, based on space availability. So they're just giving otherwise empty rooms and it most certainly is not guaranteed or even able to be confirmed at the time you make travel plans.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for clarifying that. The 75 night requirement alone makes it "useless" to me personally.

13. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although some properties, and I am thinking specifically of the Four Points at LAX, have a proactive GM who tries to make this available to regular Plats and with as much flexibility as he's able. If planning a morning, exhausted arrival into LAX, it's worth contacting Phil in advance to see if he can help you.