10 Coolest Airline Amenities

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, May 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether you agree or not, here is a listing of the "10 Coolest Airline Amenities", courtesy of HuffPost:

1. Porter Airlines - free beer, wine and snacks
    2. Southwest Airlines - Live at 35
    3. JetBlue - DirecTV
    4. Japan Airlines - slippers
    5. Virgin America - seat-to-seat chat and ordering
    6. Etihad Airlines - "Do not disturb" sleep mask
    7. Turkish Airlines - Turkish coffee and delights
    8. Singapore Airlines - playing cards and writing kits
    9. Virgin Atlantic - celeb chef children's meals
    10. Emirates - free WiFi

See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hoppercom/10-coolest-airline-amenities_b_7204620.html

Can you add to this list? ;)

MX, anileze, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least it's not exclusively a bunch of business- and first-class amenities...which I'll never see!

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I've received a full amenity kit while travelling TATL on Turkish Airlines, along with gratis drinks and choice of meals - all in coach class!

4. 365RoadWarrior

Status Points:
    Well sure. Non-US airline... ;-)

anileze, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! ;)

In the non-US airline category, Lufthansa Airlines is my personal favorite. The food, entertainment, and free drinks are all more than acceptable in coach class. And the hospitality of the crew is great! :)

O.K., for US airlines, do the free peanuts and soft drinks qualify Southwest Airlines to be added to this list? :p

anileze, 365RoadWarrior and uggboy like this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does Horizon still offer local Craft Beer gratis in the NW USA?

anileze, traveltoomuch and Newscience like this.
  7. 365RoadWarrior

Status Points:
    I don't know what "craft"* beer is, but they did have some offering from a non-Big Three/Four brewery on my April flight. I didn't recognize it as one of the fake-out micros (Plank Road, Blue Moon...) As I recall, it was some sort of rotating choice, month-to-month. "No charge". I didn't drink any.

* I studied oenology and zymurgy in college and have been brewing since 1978.

anileze and Newscience like this.
  8. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hot showers, whether on board or in the airport. They beat slippers and DirectTV any day.

kiwi and Newscience like this.
  9. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Horizon still offers complimentary NW beers and wines on all their flights including the OO-operated CRJ flights. The beers are usually IPAs or some variant thereof and don't do anything for me... but I do usually partake of a glass of wine. :p

Newscience likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you are a craft brewer then?

http://www.craftbeer.com/the-beverage/what-is-craft-beer

An American craft brewer is:

Small
    Annual production of 6 million barrels of beer or less (approximately 3 percent of U.S. annual sales). Beer production is attributed to the rules of alternating proprietorships.

Independent
    Less than 25 percent of the craft brewery is owned or controlled (or equivalent economic interest) by a beverage alcohol industry member that is not itself a craft brewer.

Traditional
    A brewer that has a majority of its total beverage alcohol volume in beers whose flavor derives from traditional or innovative brewing ingredients and their fermentation. Flavored malt beverages (FMBs) are not considered beers.

As for Horizon (and apparently Skywest operating for AS):

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...spx?lid=nav:travelInfo-foodBev#beyond-horizon

Newscience likes this.
  11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what would the now defunct "Hooter Air's" amenities would have been ? ;)

timfrost and Newscience like this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have thought the the residences/suites and showers in the sky, chauffeur service to/from airport, A380 bars, LH FCT, SQ TPR, SQ FC check in lounge at SIN, TG massages, BA (?) lounge facials, CX or QF PJs, etc. would have made the list.

skyvan and Newscience like this.
  14. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying economy on Bangkok Airways last year BKK-REP was a good experience. They had a small lounge open to all, served a hot meal (on a 1 hour flight) and distributed SIM cards before landing. Not bad for Y.

skyvan and Newscience like this.
  15. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once again, a list by someone who has never actually flown on most of these carriers.

traveltoomuch and Newscience like this.
  16. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you care to elaborate?

I'd assume that someone at HuffPost actually flew some of the airlines in their listing. For example, I'm a (very) frequent flyer on WN (A-list/A-list Preferred) for many years, but I've never experienced (nor had read about) the WN "Live at 35". It sounds like a great experience! ;)

https://www.southwest.com/entertainment/

And @MSPeconomist makes a good point about those airline programs/amenities left off of this list, but aren't the perks he mentions are primarily for elites? And doesn't the original listing consists of perks for the regular traveler in coach seating?

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    365RoadWarrior likes this.
  17. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I highly doubt they've ever experienced it either...unless they were on the flight as a member of the media or other type of special guest of WN.

Missing things like private security channels, rides to plane in private cars, Massages for free with flights, etc...it's a very narrow minded list. Also clearly from someone who lacks knowledge of airline offerings since they only cited JetBlue's DirecTV oferring and left out United's similar offering and Delta's Dish Network offering, among others that offer inflight Live TV.

Newscience likes this.
  18. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aren't "private security channels, rides to plane in private cars, Massages for free with flights, etc." solely for elites, and simply not available for coach class travelers?

And JetBlue and Etihad offer basic free DirectTV/WiFi, while United and Delta do have charges, at least according to:

http://blog.edreams.com/in-flight-wifi/

The original list does appear to be relevant to the coach class traveler, and not for all those fabled perks enjoyed by the elite traveler. ;)

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. From the article:

"With all the airline fees adding up, it's hard to remember what perks you get as a passenger. However, there are still some airlines that show their appreciation for customers, dishing out amenities that make them stand out from the rest. These airlines have come up with everything from free alcoholic beverages and DirecTV to slippers and playing cards. Want to catch a surprise Imagine Dragons flight? Dying to flirt with that person you met at the gate? These amenities aren't just available to first-class passengers either -- they're available to all passengers throughout the cabin. Now that's something that stands out!"

Newscience likes this.
  20. A_Lee

A_Lee Silver Member

Status Points:
    On Asiana they sometimes have a facial mask service or makeup service:
    https://kr.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepage.do?menuId=003007005012000&menuType=CMS

Even though I fly OZ all the time, I've not yet seen this service done on-board, though have heard others who have. Neither of them interest me at all, but I suppose they're of interest to some passengers.

In just looking at that link, I see there's lots of other services they offer, such as their Traditional Culture Experience:
    https://kr.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepage.do?menuId=003007005011000&menuType=CMS

Anyone interested can browse through the list. I might have to inquire about some of these next time I fly just out of curiosity.

Newscience likes this.
  21. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do any other airlines still give out playing cards? I was under the impression that they had been mostly phased out.

I have a colleague who is an amateur magician and who collects different types of playing cards. It would be cool to pick
    some up for him on a trip sometime.

Newscience likes this.
  22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not sure if an airport amenity would count for this list. If so, I would add JetBlue's new outdoor lounge at JFK.

timfrost and Newscience like this.
  23. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool airline amenities? :confused:

How about decent leg-room, clean seats, no odd "extra" fees, good human service, excellent on-time performance, good value tickets and fares without "discipline"....plus good catering and consistent hydration would go a long way too. :)

After this, only now we should be concerned about the "other" cool stuff airlines could offer. :):D:)

24. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Consistent hydration? Awful picky. :)

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  25. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be, but it's important. :)

Newscience likes this.