10 cm snow in London. BA collapses, BAA does too

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by jbcarioca, Feb 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was on a LHR-DME flight today that stayed at the gate for more than two hours and was eventually cancelled because, according to the captain, there was not enough deicing equipment to go around.

All the passenger were told to go to customs and baggage claim, then there would be a hotel and they'd "do rebooking tomorrow". Despite elite status and club world ticket there was no budging; they would not even look at flight schedules. The bags never arrived, so nobody knows where they are.
    No single human being from BA was anywhere in evidence once we were shunted off to Immigration.

Luckily I called AA who rebooked me on another flight. We'll see if my bag ever appears. The mess is substantial, BA has cancelled about 1/3 of their flights, mostly short ones.

Thank my lucky stars I had booked through aa.com ratehr than BA.
    Now to find out about tomorrow...oops, later today.

The weatehr they cannot do much about. The snow was predicted but BA was completely unprepared. When I left there were hundreds of people milling around and nobody was helping them.
    There were some hotel vouchers lying around so I gave them to a few passengers and took one myself. At least I am in a Crowne Plaza at BA expense, whether they know it or not I do not know.

ankurgargn, Chimpy, sobore and 5 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    10 centimeters? They need some consultants from Denver, it seems...

3. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I once sat on a plane for 6 hours at JFK due to snow. This was back when there was food in coach and they fed us both scheduled meals and the alcohol was flowing. Ended up taking us back off the plane and putting us up in hotels because "due to a mechanical issue, we can not take off with more than two inches of snow." My buddy and I finally got 3 out of 4 bags about two weeks later. Never saw the fourth. Great way to start our study abroad program in Copenhagen. Hope your luck is a bit better with the luggage.

4. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    All I have to say is I'm glad Arsenal had an early game and got 7 magisterial goals before the snow.

Also snow sucks in NYC Airports too. Icy roads knocked out the Turnpike stranding all the FA on my flight. Had to wait hours for them to show up.

To their credit they still provided stellar service on the flight.

Thanks. That is all.

5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah this is the bad old BA at its Dilbertian worst.

Nice move, to grab the voucher and use it!

What is amazing is not that such chaos happens, nor that BA are incompetent when it does.

It's the torrent of abuse from BA apologists directed at those who dare to call this a service failure and who have the temerity to expect more. They find all sorts of amazing reasons why it's the customer's fault to expect service recovery and why it's totally impossible to solve.

Why couldn't you have been rerouted same day on e.g. OY or even IB or perhaps SU?

American - not just AA - customer service is better in these situations. Possibly even AF are now better than BA.

Change will not come until the customers stand up to BA. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Muahaha!

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once again my reaction is that four inches of snow at LHR is not an unprecedented event. There is no excuse for BA and BAA not to be prepared. It is not rocket science to keep a reasonable inventory of de-icer fluid in stock and available. Nor does it require an MBA to call staff into work in advance of a predicted major problem and have them stay near the airport until the mess is cleaned up. Call centers can be set up to route calls to staff home lines when people are unable to come into work; surely some employees have computers and internet connections that could be used to help some customers from home, even if this is not ideal, although increasingly call centers are staffed by some fraction of work-at-home folks. I understand that pilots and FAs should not be forced to work many extra hours due to safety considerations, but others including supervisors and managers should be visible and helping. Unemployment can be the right outcome if someone is not willing to pitch in and help stranded customers.

It drives me crazy when distressed and stranded visitors are sent land side knowing full well that there will be no staff to help them. This is far worse than making up something on the phone to end the call.

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree and the aftermath of this one is shaping up to be another disaster for BAA and BA. BA did not allocate extra staff to call centers, nor balance calls with unaffected geographies, much less allocate enough people to do rebooking once the cancellations were known. and the list goes on...

BAA has brand new snowmoving equipment but could not keep runways in use consistently. In fact they and BA teamed to cancel flights, including most of them today, without any direct requirement, but to avoid having delays. better cancellations than delays??? That is what they actually said publicly in an interview with the CEO of BAA.

It is still not possible to get BA on the telephone, nor is it possible to print a boarding card or select a seat. Tomorrow will also be a real mess...

Memo to self: Never, ever fly BA again. Never!

Chimpy, nime01, YULtide and 1 other person like this.
  8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck.

Chimpy, YULtide, Toula and 1 other person like this.
  9. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm due to fly BA to LHR next Sunday so have my fingers crossed the weather improves before then. I would prefer if there is any possibility that the flights are going to be delayed/cancelled meaning we will miss our connecting flights that they tell us before we get to the airport as I would rather not go at all than spend days at the airport arguing.

Chimpy, nime01 and YULtide like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am comfortable now. BA refused to provide a hotel for the second night (they claim they'll reimburse it) so I am ensconced comfortably in the newly refurbished Hilton T4. Oddly, BTW, with my corporate discount and cheap, while they are selling the remaining rooms to other strandees for GBP320 (the amount I was quoted before calling the US call center to book).

Tomorrow, we'll see. There are an estimated 35,000 strandees in the area counting airports and trains, according to a radio report. That sounds far too many people to me, but what do I know?

Chimpy, sobore, Toula and 1 other person like this.
  11. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hindsight is always great ;) ......but could you have booked another route to avoid Europe.

Chimpy, nime01, Toula and 2 others like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just found out a new and improved BA solution to crowding problems. They are not permitting OLCI for my new, new flight tomorrow because of "crowded airport conditions and booking issues". If i understand they are eliminating the OLCI during the present situation in an effort to reduce pressures. Up is down; black is white; automation is inefficient while airport queues are pleasant and efficient. Come to think of it, George orwell would have approved. This is just a few decades late.

Chimpy, yaychemistry, sobore and 5 others like this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I almost took EK but decided to save a few hundred dollars. Bad decision! I could have gone through CDG, FRA, MAD or AMS also. So many better options!

Chimpy, sobore, nime01 and 3 others like this.
  14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:......they must have taken a page from Air Canada's manual dealing with weather IROPS.

Chimpy, nime01, YULtide and 1 other person like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Why Europe? LH doesn't seem to have any major problems in FRA (judging by their website, which only mentions problems with flights to/from LHR, and some google news searches).

Besides, should every traveler avoid all of Europe during the winter months? After all, winter means a decent chance of snow and ice. That's not a new thing.

LETTERBOY, nime01, Toula and 2 others like this.
  16. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    All you manage to demonstrate with posts like that is what an inexperienced traveller you must be.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Please elaborate.

(or should I say: keep digging)

18. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have no idea how experienced this traveller is.... I can attest that this person is an expert flyer.

Chimpy, sobore, nime01 and 2 others like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not so much inexperienced as incapable of learning from experience. FRA almost never has these problems, CDG is not that good but they have many fewer than LHR, AMS is usually smooth.

Maybe it is inexperience; I quit flying BA because of this and then decided to be OW loyal. Only inexperience or incompetence can justify a decision like that.

Chimpy, yaychemistry, sobore and 3 others like this.
  20. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    "The world's favourite airline." :eek:

Chimpy, nime01 and milchap like this.
  21. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take a snow shovel and a (100 ml) bottle of deicing fluid. :D

Chimpy, nime01 and milchap like this.
  22. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Possibly" means that you're not certain of that, either because you don't fly AF or you don't fly BA.

To give you idea of how bad is AF customer care, I witnessed a flight leave half empty during a strike and it was the first to that destination in three days and it had a long queue of wannabe pax ready to check-in and board. Most of them were refused check-in; I was allowed since I already had a bording pass because I was in transit.

YULtide and nime01 like this.
  23. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca, sorry to hear about your troubles in London on your way to DME. Last time LHR was hit with snow, they were totally unprepared, and there was a lot of consequences for those responsible. They seem to have learned nothing. Strange though, that airports like HEL, ARN & OSL stay open most of the year, even though they get a lot more snow than LHR.

It might have helped if you had one of these bag tags? (found it today).

IMG_1834x.jpg

Chimpy, Toula, milchap and 1 other person like this.
  24. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    To Fly. To Strand.

What a mess, hope you eventually get on your way!

Toula and nime01 like this.
  25. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    nice, it never fails, Snow Paralizes the UK

sobore likes this.