10 cheapest airlines for flying to Europe

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    10 cheapest airlines for flying to Europe

tondoleo, MX, anileze and 1 other person like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, uggboy! Most of these airlines are rarely mentioned in Milepoint! I'd definitely consider using them to travel to Europe!
    Newscience

Sammich, MX and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right these airlines go mostly under the radar on MP and other Mile/Point sites. Glad you found the article useful and would actually consider some of them for your flights in the future.

MX, anileze and Newscience like this.
  4. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flown on 1, IcelandAir it was about comparable to flying JetBlue to Vegas in terms of amenities seat space and flight time in my opinion.

From BOS (and I figure YYZ and NYC too) KEF is a nice long weekend trip.

Of the rest, I have long thought about AirBerlin, but their options don't line up for me.

XL Airways we actually dealt with at work last week since there super low fares seemed interesting to people. Also because they can be booked with Travelocity but not Orbitz.

Newscience, MX and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, glad you have already flown on IcelandAir. Interesting that they compare with JetBlue. XL Airways have indeed some very low fares. Wouldn't mind to hear from someone who's flown this carrier. Regarding AirBerlin, now that Etihad has plans for this airline, we will see what happens incl. scheduling.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a 757 with tv screens and movies. I think most of them cost money, but I watched a bunch of free "Stuff to do in Iceland videos" on the way there which were really cool. I believe that they had free drinks and pay for food/beer.

Also, Iceland is awesome.

uggboy, Newscience and MX like this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget Star Alliance/Skyteam is having ridiculous fares to CPH/ARN/OSL right now.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some really really good BOS-LIS fares and some NYC-MXP last I looked.

9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    For good reason, since most of them aren't members of alliances (AB & AC Rouge being the 2 exceptions off the top of my head), don't partner with any major US airline (except for the 2 previously mentioned and Icelandair/AS), and don't have easy ways for US residents to earn miles in their FF programs (again excepting AB/SPG and AC Rouge/SPG/AmExMR).

Newscience likes this.
  10. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    For trips to Russia I find Finnair to be the best option 90% of the time (well, that's because I refuse to fly Aeroflot, Transaero and Ukrainian). Actually, I even booked my JFK-HKG November trip on Finnair :D

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Icelandair and AS are no longer partners, in part because Icelandair did a deal where you could buy AS F for super-cheap via Icelandair miles, that got heavily exploited on the blogs and FT, and they yanked the partnership after that. :(

Oh, and AB accrues on AA at 25% for the cheap fares...

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/airberlin.jsp

As well as US...

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/earnmiles/oneworld_airberlin.html

Or BA Avios...

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/executive-club/collecting-avios/flights

Here's the thing, it's not a lot different than in AB's own program TopBonus:

http://www.airberlin.com/en-US/site/tb/partner/index.php?cid=3&partnerName=airberlin

(only 25% mileage on lowest fares)

That being said, if the AB fare is cheap enough, you probably are better off with less miles and more cash in your pocket. ;)

I'd probably accrue a TATL AB flight to BA, since you can turn 2000 Avios + $42.50 into a shorthaul (<650 miles) one way flight in the USA. Not the worst thing to get back from a cheap TATL. ;)

Oh, and AB has piles of hotel/car partners...

http://www.airberlin.com/en-US/site/tb/partner/index.php?cid=2

The AB chart isn't terrible on their own metal...

http://www.airberlin.com/en-US/site...id=3&partnerName=airberlin&contentType=redeem

But it's pretty horrible for US-based people redeeming for partners.

http://www.airberlin.com/site/affiliate/tb/partner/airlines/meilen_einloesen_AA_eng.jpg

360K for CX C to Australia. :eek:

I wouldn't want to accrue to AB unless I was using it for Europe. ;)

They're also one of the few airlines with partnerships with Bangkok Airways, which is nice for coverage in Thailand to places like USM...

http://www.airberlin.com/en-US/site...partnerName=bangkokairways&contentType=redeem

I doubt that BKK-USM is a great redemption in terms of miles/money, though (unless they have wacky award availability and allow redemptions when cash fares are through the roof).

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a "low cost" operation, not too bad. Glad you've enjoyed your flight and Iceland too.

13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had completely forgotten about that. :oops: I guess they kind of did what LH did to F redemptions with partner miles.

That's something Flying Blue and Miles & More do, too (only giving 25% on cheap rates).

Depends how much cash you have and/or how much you want the miles.

The hotels have pretty bad transfer ratios, except for SPG.

Which brings up another problem - the limited number of destinations in the US that AB serves (and the rest of these airlines, too). Unless you live in an AB gateway city, you've got no choice but to redeem their miles on partners.

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    The hotels have pretty bad transfer ratios, except for SPG.
    [/quote]
    The per-stay seems to be 500 miles (the exceptions being the usual suspects like Hilton).

The North America Europe rate is the same for partners as AB, so that's not horrible. But the program is pretty bad for things like North Asia.

But if you're acquiring miles on cheap AB fares, are you really trying to shoot for CX F? (In fact, AB doesn't have a longhaul F redemption level. ;))

I would argue AB isn't exactly the airline you should fly (or program you would accrue in) for caviar and champagne. Which is fine, that's not the end-all, be-all for everyone. Some people don't mind Y longhaul... though I would say it's not a program I would choose for someone based in North America wanting to go to Asia or Australia...