10-12 days of Photography in Nepal

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by emilyfrew, Oct 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi All, I’m planning to visit Nepal in November and my interest is in Landscapes, waterfalls and mountains peak shots, I’m a semi-professional Portrait & Landscapes photographer. So my question is, which place is better to start with and which one to end with?
    I've already booked my tickets to Nepal from Letsflycheaper.
    Is there any guide persons who are specialized in knowing scenery locations i can hire?
    Since I’m going to be in the wild for the most times, I would really appreciate any additional tips and advice to help get through the day.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
    danielwood, Flyer1976 and YULtide like this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you are looking for a fixer ? Nepal, though small country, in terms of vistas of the himalayas, it is rather vast. I know friends in two cities, and can ask. How many places are you planning to visit when you are there ?

3. Thanks for your concern anileze :)
    i'll be traveling with my college friends there. Places we will be covering are most of the temples, monastery, Lakes & Valleys plus a wildlife park. If you can propose an itinerary for my group. I'd never been to Asia before.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not been to too many places in Nepal, but here are the places I have been to.

Kathmandu, Pokhra, Bhaktapur: Temples.
    Chitwan National Park, Panch Pokhri lakes.
    Nagarkot for plain R&R.

As to stunningly scenic photographic spots, most require rough trek, you would get better feedback from some of the trekking forums. But, remember, you are there for just 10-12 days, some treks will take a few days off your schedule. You need to study the domestic flight route paths to cover as much as possible.

To get to Nepal from the US, you would probably need to transit/gateway in either Middle East, or India, or via Bangkok, Singapore.

emilyfrew likes this.
  5. Thanks both of you. I've planned my transit from India as there would be less legal and safety regulations while traveling to Nepal.
    Domestic flights are not so busy in Nepal, so it is not to be worried about.
    Thanks rikimilton for proposing the itinerary. I'll consider that with a zeal.

Flyer1976 and anileze like this.
  6. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Following a freak blizzard, many trekkers are dead, and lots more are missing. The mood in Nepal is, from what I hear, rather somber. As of this past weekend, search and rescue teams are searching for bodies.

I would suggest you develop a plan B.

8. Continuing with it.. my one more query is... where can I get Nepalese Rupee in the US

Flyer1976 and anileze like this.
  9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a good idea. Chase and Citigroup will sell you. Change 20 Usd at KTM arrival, and rest inside the city center. Around Dunbar Sq.

emilyfrew and Flyer1976 like this.
  10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not exchange a large amount of money in the states or on arrival into KTM as the airport has horrendous exchange rates.

I'd follow Anileze's advice on exchanging $20-40USD at the Airport and the rest in the city centre.

emilyfrew and anileze like this.
  11. Yeah, Some amount of currency would do but surely not exchanging all my cash at the airport.
    What do you mean by city centre? is it a place or company. I had a thought that, how about exchanging currency with any government bank there in Nepal.:oops::rolleyes: They'll charge less?
    [​IMG]

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    City centre is the "center of the city".

The Banks there or even the black market would be quite favorable but I'd leave the black market to more experienced travelers.