1-way award using US DM ?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by dogcrazy, May 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will US airways allow 1-way award booking in the future ?

SC Flier likes this.
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Magic 8 ball? Unclear. US Airways allows them, they just charge the full roundtrip price for them. Like Delta. One imagines eventually they'd have to follow the lead of AA and UA/CO as well as AS (though hopefully Alaska will allow 'em on partners!), but I don't know that there's any inside info on this. US Airways has said that they're planning to roll out online booking of partners. That would be some progress...!

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see this as a factor that most frequent fliers are too concerned with when they are deciding which program to give their loyalty to. It would make me happier if US and DL both offered one-way awards at a fair price, but failure to do so isn't a big factor in selecting a program. I expect that most people don't realize the value of such an option until they need it.

IMO, they ought to follow the lead of AA and UA/CO, but they certainly don't have to.

As airlines have gotten away from pricing flights cheaper for roundtrip and requiring Saturday night stays when paying cash, it makes sense for awards to follow the same path.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  5. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Allowing one way awards at half the mileage cost of a roundtrip increases the number of accounts able to book award travel. Aunt Betty's 15,000 miles currently have nearly the same liability as an empty account. Allow one way awards and Betty is going to come visit for Thanksgiving. Open jaw awards are the mystery to me, most places I go have 2 or 3 plausible airports, let me have the low level seat and personal convenience.

6. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="Aunt Betty's 15,000 miles currently have nearly the same liability as an empty account. [/quote]

Not quite true. With the change in accounting rules, airlines have an incentive to allow folks to use miles to book awards and so avoid carrying the miles (as liabilities) on their balance sheet.

So an empty account results in a less liability on the airline's balance sheet.

I'd venture to guess that US will eventually introduce 1-way awards. But that could be quite some time away!