1 AA Saver Award Available NOW - Need 2 - What is my Best Option?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by knick1959, Jun 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I posted a more generic version of this in a General area, with mixed responses, but now that I've narrowed down the possibilities here, I'll ask a more direct question here.

I'm looking for a CLE->LIM award flight in business class on 4/1/2015. I have clumps of miles all over, and a big stash of BA miles. Hence, AA award flights look attractive. My wife and I have AA miles, but neither of us as enough for a Business Anytime award ... yet. I could fix this, and there is enough time to do so.

I see an AA saver flight that would work great. Only one ticket currently offered. Do I snag that and watch for another, all the time working for enough miles to get an AAnytime ticket on points if the same flight doesn't come up as a saver award again? What are the chances that, if I grab this one, another will pop up during the next 9-10 months?

There is a United flight that has 2 tickets available, but it isn't close to ideal. 6 hour layover AND arrives later than the already late AA flight. Plus, I'd still rather burn BA miles. However, I'd do this IF the chances of getting an AA second chance award is slim!

I've tried all different segments as singles, and these are still the best options.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try to have enough AA miles then ask the AAdvantage reps if they could put a request for an extra award seat to complete a party.

KrissyK90 and MX like this.
  3. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    @Jimgotkp - thanks for the reply.

As for actual AA miles, I have 53k, my wife 42k. I was hoping to use BA miles, where I have 237k. (I have a stash of Alaska miles, too) However, I'll burn whatever miles I need to get the job done; this is only the first flight of the trip (the others actually look like they might be easier to acquire ... maybe).

The award flight was 30k from AA. I suppose I can't call them after booking a BA award for the one, asking if I can use my AA miles to request another ... ??? Or book one with pure AA but use a different mileage account to request a second? I'm assuming the chances of this are slim, but it someone tells me it's not that impossible, I would make a phone call.

Heck, I only need 7k more to get the 60. Too bad VRs aren't available now; even the Circle K I was using post CVS has turned to cash only now. I'll look at my options for buying or transferring (did this once before; it was a tad costly for moving miles between us, but I can stretch to get the right tickets).

4. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rembering that Gary Leff just did a blog post on requesting an AA award to "complete a party", I went and looked it up. I didn't think it was applicable to me at the time, but here I am now.

From reading this, 10 months out, it doesn't look like I could get any creative flexibility mish-masking mile sources. And it doesn't really sound like it's much of a sure shot anyway. So, I'd have to do some MS spending and wait for points to post, buy points or transfer them (looks like $110+35 to get 7.5k from my wife to me) ... that just to call and hope they would add the missing seat. If there was even one once all of this happens (transfers take 3 business days?).

5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup you're on the right track. Another option is to wait for a fare sale since AA and LAN tend to have a lot to Peru and Colombia.

6. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought I'd provide an update and perhaps get ask a slightly different question. I did manage to book the single award flight that I wanted from CLE to LIM for April 2014. I'm going to Peru! My wife is still hoping to join me :).

I've been checking daily for award changes and, sure, we're 10 months out, so nothing is changing. I even called, once, and spoke to an AA rep. She said the new awards are never released; once they're gone, they're gone. Which is sort of what I fear, but know that this isn't the case, at least not with domestic flights. I'm also watching a less important flight from CLE to ORD in August and I've seen award seats change very often.

As a backup, I've arranged to have (barely) 65k points in my AAdvantage account. I know I can get the needed ticket as a Business Anytime "award" for this amount. However, I'd still like to watch for a Saver award.

So, the question is (and really has been) ... what are the chances that new award space will be offered? Looking for an "in general" answer. If I'm being silly waiting, and the odds are slim to none, I'll blow the 65k now. Otherwise I'll continue to wait and watch.