1.5 Miles per dollar with CO credit card now through Septmber 30 (targeted?)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by curtis1120, Aug 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. curtis1120

curtis1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if this is a targeted offer or not. I certainly haven't been using this card much since I got it for the 50K bonus this spring, but I got a postcard today stating that all purchases (after $500) would earn 1.5 miles per dollar spent from now until September 30th. Anyone else get this?

2. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got this in the mail, too. It doesn't contain any promo code or registration, so I'd be surprised if it was targeted.

This is a pretty good deal. When you add it to the standard 10k point bonus that you get if you meet $25k of spend within the calendar year, that works out to 1.9 miles per $1 of spend above the $500/month, assuming you hit the $25k of spend by 12/31.

I got this just after their prior promo expired (2 miles per $1 for retail, dining, and entertainment category spending) so it seems like Chase is testing various promos for the Continental One Pass card. Could this lead to a change like the recent one on the Sapphire where they switched to 2 miles per $1 of dining spend?

Note that this card is a MasterCard, which incurs a lower fee of 1.9% when used to pay taxes. Most American Express cards are at 2.29% or above. So, if you need to make quarterly estimated tax payments, you can basically buy miles for 1 cent each (1.9 miles / 1.9% fee per dollar of taxes charged). Also, this might be deductible, depending on your tax situation. So it could actually be as low as 0.65 cents per $1. Who knew paying taxes could be so much fun?

3. eap
    Original Member

eap Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received a similar offer, but with the threshold being $2,000 per month before the bonus kicks in.
    No thanks.

4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good deal! I always seem to be left out of these promos. My mom, however, (who rarely uses her card) gets some promo in the mail from them just about every month!

5. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the same deal.

6. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    meh. still far behind C1Venture, SPG, AMEX Plat, and Surpass for main categories

7. Stubtify

Stubtify Active Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering to anyone who's gotten this, have your bonus .5/$ miles posted with your statement? They've told me it takes 6-8 weeks to the promotion end for them to post. I'm expecting a fight on this...

8. hooterbif

hooterbif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got one of these deals for the AA Citi Visa Card.