1-2 Free versus earned free days

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Exiled in Express, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any benefit to using one type of free day over the other? Obviously the expiration date is different but are there any other terms that should be weighed?

2. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Often free days in the form of coupon codes cannot be combined with other coupon codes.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  3. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    "Banked" free days cannot be combined with other coupon codes either - so they're equivalent in that respect.

The 1-2-Free days are in the form of "specific" coupon codes not attached to your account so while they're not transferable according to the T&Cs, they in reality are.

4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are other differences as well. Only three One-Two-Free coupons may be used on a single reservation, while up to seven regular award days may be used on a single reservation. Also, there is more flexibility in the class of car reserved with a regular free day (this is especially true for Executive Elite members) than with a One-Two-Free coupon.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a single listing of the free days I've earned, how can I determine what types of free days I have in my account?

6. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Earned free days, after reaching 5/6/7 credits, appear in the free day drop down list when making reservations. 1-2-Free days are coupon codes "NFXXXXXX" not included in the drop down and seemingly only available via the link in the congratulations email or by calling National.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    deleted as it was incorrect info

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ok, BIG THANKS as I just spoke with National and learned that I was incorrect in thinking that 1-2-Free days went to my drop down list.

Thankfully I never earned many free days via 1-2-Free in the past years but I have recently, when I called, the rep stated "yes you have 6 free days" which I would have lost.

Next time you come through ORD, let me know, I'll be happy to buy you beer !

9. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The hard part is using them. "I don't want to waste this on a $20 day" and "I'll just use the 3rd day free coupon on the website." both crossed my mind this week.

American Eagle has me through ORD three times next month, sadly not long enough to collect. ;)

10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    as one has to before June '10, I was thinking the same, but then just today I booked a 3 day midweek res where the going midsize rate was >$70 a day, so I'm pretty pleased at this point.

Thanks again.

11. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I never knew this... Goodness knows how many I've let expire!!!

12. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Instead of creating a new thread of an (semi) expired promo, I figured I'd just ask on this thread instead:

Recently redeemed a free rental day using the my remaining 1-2-free coupons. Turns out that I may have to cancel the reservation. Would I get the free coupon back; and would it be automatically redeposited to my account upon cancellation? Thanks.

13. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never had a problem in the situation that you outlined with my previous 1,2,Free awards. In my experience, National's systems are very good in this regard and I especially like how the updating of regular earned free days is so prompt.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed on all counts.

15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    regarding free days (either 1-2 Free or earned free days) and one way rentals

it would appear that one can use a free day (as I did a dummy booking) to drive from Canada to US (or v.v.) without a drop fee.

Has anyone done such a one way rental?

16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    To answer my own question, I was able to use a banked free day (earned) for a one way rental across the border w/o drop charge. Quite welcome !

rharrigill likes this.
  17. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Willie,
    I am surprised the agency allowed you to pull this off........maybe they knew whom they were dealing with?

The only FREE dropoff that I ahve encountered is in the LA region. National would allow me to dropoff a car at any LA area agnecy:
    LAX, Orange County, Burbank, or Long Beach.........just not outside of the four terminal lcoations.

I'll advise the RCMP you slipped passed the Checkpoint Canadaian bacon once agin!!!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D
    I was a bit surprised myself
    I've used free drop offs quite a bit in Florida on quite a few different itineraries but then IIRC every car rental agency offers them (at least the big ones do).

Good to know about the LA area, I wasn't aware of that and for sure could use as I'll frequently fly into LAX & out of SNA or v.v. Prob better to fly into LAX as rates are generally cheaper than SNA.