0-EXP in ???

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DwFin, Oct 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DwFin

DwFin Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

So every year i tend spend about £5000 on a holiday far away flying J. Mostly Japan. This year im really thinking of using my 3 weeks to make EXP. So far my routing is going to be 3 x LHR-IAD-LAX-MEL and finally a quick LHR-SFO-LHR. Of course all of this will be in Y. I know it will be tough but it should be interesting. Whats the quickest time you went from 0-exp ?

kyunbit, jbcarioca, bez7 and 5 others like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    DwFin,

Welcome to MP and good luck with THAT MR!!

:)robin

jbcarioca, zpaul and TheBeerHunter like this.
  3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint!

I'm working on it right now, but not mileage running. It'll take me about 7 months, will be done before years end.

Good luck and please keep posting on your progress!!

jbcarioca, zpaul and rwoman like this.
  4. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, it was my first year of being EXP -- there was some double EQM offer going on, and cheap LAX-SJU fares, I did a bunch of those turns over many consecutive weekends to become EXP in a few months. Not a few trips, mind you, and I was previously Plat with AA so I did use my stickers to upgrade on those long segments. But on the 757, even F isn't very nice. (Still, F > Y any day)

Hope your butt forgives you for that run, good luck! You'll enjoy being EXP. It'll make re-upping each year much easier :D

jbcarioca, zpaul and rwoman like this.
  5. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    With 3 weeks and £5K you could probably do a DONE4 RTW (business class RTW) out of South Africa (around £4100 plus tax) that would earn around 90K - 95K EQP (not EQM). That would give you the balance of your 5 grand to access SA, or if you have miles to get there (37.5K AA miles one way in J is a barn-burning deal) you could use the balance of your budget for a short hop in J around Europe someplace, or a supplemental trip in North America, to finish the EXP quest. Why fly Y if you don't have to?

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was about to say, £5K is a lot to pay for Y when it could be used so much more effectively!

On topic though: I've always made EXP in Nov/Dec. As I've said a few times, I'm strictly a leisure traveler besides a few short hops under 500 miles for work. At this point I have about 98,000 EQM for the year. I'll have to figure out that last 2000 before Dec 31st.... :)

Btw, welcome to MP DwFin!

7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should've gotten on board with that $100 AAVacations deal (appears dead now...or at least $1k min.).

Welcome to MP DwFin!

You sound like a great fit for this community, but there are far better uses for that 5k than a bunch of Y traveling!

rwoman and TheBeerHunter like this.
  8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some unpublished material says they grant you the EXP Status if you have flown >95K Eqms!!!

rwoman likes this.
  9. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess your miles may vary, but I know it didn't happen to me when I qualified for EXP for the first time a couple of years ago.

TheBeerHunter and rwoman like this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They've been known to give a "grace" in terms of EQM, but it's never a guarantee. Not sure that it's a 5K grace either.... ;)

If you want the status, fly the miles. And I intend to. :)

TheBeerHunter, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too...but only to plat on AA. :)

12. Pucnit

Pucnit Active Member

Status Points:
    I believe that the grace is actually 99,000 and I also thought that it was only for requalification.

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why do you want exp? Is it for AA swus or segment upgrades when flying in the US?

Otherwise, why don't you Eurocheat your way to BA gold with a single trip to Oz, and include a per-syd round trip while you're there. That should just about work to get you the 800 or so TPs needed for gold.

Welcome to MP!

zpaul, TheBeerHunter and rwoman like this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too risky to find out Intentionally.

rwoman likes this.
  15. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This year I didn't requalify until Labor Day weekend (first weekend of September). I've had at least two years where I've hit the 100K by May. Just depends what kind of fares are out there.

zpaul, TheBeerHunter and rwoman like this.
  16. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's for the systemwides, the U.K. is the most expensive market to use them from as it's going to cost you 60 pounds (around $90) each time you fly out on AA.

NYBanker and rwoman like this.
  17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    APD is EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL...:eek:

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still far less expensive than paying the F/J fare (which also attracts the UK fee).

19. DwFin

DwFin Active Member

Status Points:
    Firstly Thank you all for your great feedback!! Really really helpful. Now to try and answer some questions

Wow, if this works out it sure will be a lot better than sitting in the back. I really appreciate the sample route to. Although i had some trouble doing the exact routing. It wouldn't let me return through LHR on the way back so i might have to jiggle some things around in order for it to work. again , thank you!

As in, spend the 5k on a bunch of J traveling because i cant imagine spending it on anything better ;)

As strange as it sounds I've always wanted it. I think it's kinda like a bucket list thing. Although the swu's are my main reason for going with AAexp but im definitely going to look into BA gold now. I always just assumed it would be unattainable with cheap flying

20. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Oneworld Explorer RTW ticket can be fabulous value but it is quite "rule rich" if you get my meaning. One of the more obscure rules is that you're allowed to re-enter or leave Europe twice provided one entrance/exit is from/to an intercontinental flight and a flight to/from one of a few African cities, including EBB and NBO, since those cities' only Oneworld flights are to/from LHR. So flying e.g. LAX-xLHR-NBO is kosher provided you don't stop over (24h+) at LHR. Likewise, if originating in NBO or EBB, you could go e.g. NBO-xLHR-SIN..... then still do your Europe segments later, followed by ending anywhere in Africa to conclude the RTW. Have a look at the rules here: http://www.oneworld.com/content/library/oneworld explorer.pdf

I used South Africa because it's fairly inexpensive (at the moment - exchange rates vary) for a 4-continent business class Oneworld Explorer. But of course SA is not cheap to reach, so if you want, you could start in, say, Israel, Egypt or Cairo, do a 3-continent RTW for around US $6100 - $6200 plus taxes - say under £4K - or $1000 more for a 4-continent trip - and try to work out enough miles to hit EXP. Of course, if you already have a starting balance, or other travel planned for the year, then you wouldn't need to hit 66.67K butt-in-seat miles "inside" the RTW. You could, for example, nest a YUP fare in North America between RTW segments, or some other device to get the required "topping up" miles/EQP and still stay close to your budget.

21. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I first heard of this "frequent flyer subculture" in August 2010. During the next 4 months, my quest was EXP and I made it. No status to EXP in 4 months!!! Of course, the DEQM from STL helped me a bunch. I was able to see India and went to Toyko twice (never got out of NRT). I am now completely hooked and spend a ton of time on this hobby/addiction. This year, I requalified by the end of August. Substantially all leisure travel. Thanks so much for everyone who has helped me learn through your posts. I am very impressed with how friendly everyone is here on MP. What an adventure this has been and I am looking for many, many more adventures.

rwoman and TheBeerHunter like this.
  22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Please tell me you've since gone back and given Tokyo a look. It's one of my favorite destinations.... ;)

rwoman and DwFin like this.
  23. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not yet, but I really want to go and stay a few days next time.

24. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Eurocheat approach makes it very easy if you're flying a few long-haul J flights.

Good luck!