0 annual fee MR Card?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by edekba, Jun 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am wanting to get a card that offers MR points; just to diversify, but I do not know where to start. I currently have the (1) Costco (2) SPG (3) HHonors [non surpass] cards but wanted to get an MR earning one w/o paying an annual fee. Is there such a card? Is it the BLUE only?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    you can apply for some one of the cards that waive the fee for the first year. presently the business gold card is offering a 75,000 point bonus if you spend 10k within a short period and no fee for the first year. usually there are other MR cards available for no fee for the first year. If you juggle them around annually, you can probably avoid ever paying a fee.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there one that is no annual fee perm?

4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    All MR cards that allow you to transfer points have a permanent annual fee. Some of them waive it for the first year, but if you keep the card, you'll have to pay it eventually.

edekba likes this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that the BLUE is the only one that has no annual fee every year. That said, if you combine the BLUE with some of the other AMEX cards that provide bonuses and no annual fee for the first year, you should be able to parlay that into a healthy MR account.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred allows for point transfers even though the Freedom does not but when combined into one account, you get the capability to transfer. I assume this would be the same w/ AMEX by combining the Blue and one of the other cards.

edekba likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! So I guess need to get like the regular charge card or Gold card to use MR to its fullest potential. :(

Looking over the cards that are transferable; Green is $99 while Gold is $125 and GPR is $195. I guess if MR points were the way to go then GPR but not sure if I can justify ~$200 more in an annual fee.

7. amazzajr

amazzajr Active Member

Status Points:
    Blue offers MR Express points - they're not transferable to frequent flyer/guest programs like the green, gold, platinum cards. MR express points are only good for gift cards, etc.

daemon14 and edekba like this.
  8. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.

edekba likes this.
  9. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    At one time there used to be fee free travel cards and they used to give 1/2 mile for a dollar spend. I don't know if they are still around or not.

10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe there is a free card for MR points at present.

11. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the Full MR program, no, but for MR Express points, Blue from American Express is free each year. If you have a AMEX PLAT or PRG (that is in the Full MR program), those points get turned into full points as well.

Best yet, you can earn MR points on Blue, then open up a PRG/Platinum later on to convert your points to Full MR points that can transfer to airlines/hotels.

This is somewhat similar to the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Freedom set up. The only difference is that Chase allows you to transfer Freedom points to other people's Sapphire Preferred/Ink Bold accounts, meaning that you don't really need to have a "Full" UR card yourself if you have a friend/relative you trust.

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. amazzajr

amazzajr Active Member

Status Points:
    Full MR also includes the Green Card.

13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to what I was told by Amex's customer service twitter people (@AskAmex), the MB credit card (the one with the $95 annual fee) is part of regular MR, but I don't have any personal experience with that.

14. amazzajr

amazzajr Active Member

Status Points:
    All you have to do is look at the card details online, they tell you what type of rewards program comes with the product.