“Your Blood is Not Wanted Here” — Again. Why?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Dec 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Did you know that if you travel to certain places — or have been in certain places for a defined period of time — you will be denied the opportunity to donate whole blood, platelets, red blood cells and other blood components in the United States? As I first mentioned in this article back on Friday, March 15, 2013, I have known this for years. I have donated platelets greater than 150 times, as well as a couple of gallons of whole blood and a number of double donations of red blood cells. I traveled to Panama several years ago and I was not allowed to give blood or platelets for twelve months because I was informed by a representative of the American Red Cross that Panama was one of the countries identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as an area where malaria is present everywhere. Because blood is not tested for malaria, any person who has traveled to an area known to have malaria present is considered a risk — even if the person may not be suffering from the effects of malaria — and will therefore be denied the opportunity to donate blood for twelve months. Well, the good news is that... The post “Your Blood is Not Wanted Here” — Again. Why? appeared first on The Gate.

Continue reading...