“Burn Avios, Burn” Cathay Pacific First Class and Amazing Conrad Suites

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by gleff, Nov 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hopefully this trip will be useful to some readers, as I believe two of the very best aspirational uses of points are Cathay Pacific First Class (because it’s an outstanding product, and one that’s reasonably possible to redeem for) and the Conrad Koh Samui (because every room is special, and even at 50,000 HHonors points per night it’s a good value compared to paid rates). I’m just back from the trip, and thought I’d share some of my thinking and experiences along the way.

Back in the spring I first started hearing rumblings about a British Airways mileage devaluation, I mentioned my prediction of a devaluation on my blog back at the beginning of May. I decided to top off my British Airways Executive Club account using a 50% transfer bonus from Diners Club and then clean it out – a devaluation made some sense, it had been several years since the last one BA did and they had been printing miles like mad, moreover they were now awarding full mileage on discount fares to come into parity with American Airlines as part of their joint business venture. So I figured that my miles would certainly not be worth more in the future than they were at that moment, it was time to book a trip.

Problem was that I needed to find a time to do it, I wasn’t really interested in a LAN business class award to Easter Island with stopovers in South America, that’s on my list but not at the top of it. I didn’t have anything booked for Thanksgiving yet, and I decided on a Cathay Pacific first class award at 150,000 miles per person.

Now, British Airways awards get expensive when you include more than one partner on an award since you get pushed onto their distance-based award chart. (Heh, now they’re expensive even if you stick to just one partner.)

What that meant is that my award wouldn’t start and end in my home city. I found a departure from New York, and a return to Chicago, but I was going to be responsible for getting myself to and from my international gateway cities. That plus fuel surcharges meant that it wasn’t going to be an inexpensive redemption. But it seemed worthwhile, especially given the likely future prospects for British Airways miles (an assumption which proved to be correct).

When I first booked the award it was four segments, all Cathay Pacific first class, New York JFK – Hong Kong – Bangkok – Hong Kong – Chicago. In the end there were several schedule changes to my Hong Kong – Bangkok – Hong Kong flights, in part because of Bangkok flooding which reduced travel demand and led to some flight cancellations and also downgauged equipment. So the short intra-Asia segments wound up in business class.

Still, I was happy with what I got and glad to have cleaned out my BA account.

Then it was a decision of ‘what to do in Thailand?’

I decided upon a couple of nights in Bangkok and five nights at the soon-to-open Conrad Koh Samui resort.

For Bangkok, I toyed with the idea of staying at the new St. Regis. But the Conrad published all of its room types except for the Presidential Suite as ‘cash & points’ awards – cash and points were new to Hilton HHonors and they seemed to have loaded the rate plan incorrectly. I booked the suite one category below the Presidential at the basic cash and points price.

I booked the Conrad Koh Samui on points, but I went through several iterations with the reservation. Initially it was a category 6 hotel, 40,000 points per night but just 160,000 points for a 5-night stay with elite multi-night discounts. I was thrilled with this, given that the entry level room at the property is a standalone ocean villa with private pool.

Shortly after making my booking, and before the hotel opened, it moved up to category 7 – a whopping 25% increase in points (to 50,000 per night). Of course, my booking was secure. Meanwhile, a little birdie at Hilton HHonors suggested to me that the hotel would likely go on PointStretchers when it opened, meaning just 30,000 points per night. I could save 10,000 points over my 5 night stay if I cancelled and rebooked.

But something even better happened. The Conrad Koh Samui RESIDENCES loaded award room availability. It’s the same hotel, but the residences meant 2-bedroom 2000 square foot ocean villas with an even larger pool (and 2.5 baths and a private garden as well). I’d have to rebook at the category 7 price, but that seemed worth it to me, my 5 night stay went up to 200,000 HHonors points.

Except.. that Hilton couldn’t get the darned thing to reserve correctly. And in the meantime they had cancelled out my existing reservation, which couldn’t be restored as award rooms were no longer available for the one-bedroom. And so I escalated matters from one Diamond agent to the next and over the course of three or four days they managed to secure a Diamond Force for the Residences, I assume that means that Hilton HHonors paid the ‘real’ price to get me the room. (I described the booking drama in greater detail back in September.)

Diamond Force used to be one of the really special benefits of Hilton’s Diamond status – most hotel chains offer their top elites guaranteed availability on paid rooms (with a certain amount of notice, and at a high price). Hilton always used to offer this on award reservations. A sold out hotel would make a room available for the Diamond member, and then the reservation would be converted to points.

Since the introduction of premium room rewards (spending what can be a boatload of additional points for a higher room category), the Diamond Force has been much less useful – Hilton tells you to just redeem for the higher level room if any such room is available, even if it’s a million points a night.
    But the Conrad Koh Samui resort is a great candidate to use the option still, since the resort offers only a single room type if they’re sold out of award rooms then there won’t be any available at the premium redemption price either. And that’s what it seems they did for me, secured me the two bedroom (‘base room’) at the residences.

Since I was taking the new Hong Kong – Chicago flight home, and it’s an early departure, I’d need a room for an overnight in Hong Kong. And I’d need to book flights to and from Koh Samui. I also decided to head up to New York the night before my JFK – Hong Kong flight since I had the morning Hong Kong departure, and that meant a JFK hotel. So I had a few more arrangements to make, but the guts of the trip were handled.

There’s lots more to this report coming, but if you have any questions please ask away!

savydog, Jimgotkp, violist and 7 others like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    US Airways Shuttle to New York and the Sheraton JFK

There’s little detail to share about the start of the trip. Since we’d be taking the morning Cathay Pacific flight, a 9am departure, we flew up to New York the night before. Since I was using British Airways miles (in their pre-Avios incarnation), I wasn’t going to combine partners on an award. The ticket was Cathay Pacific only, which meant I had to make it on my own to the international gateway, as Cathay doesn’t serve DC.

We grabbed the 6pm US Airways Shuttle, now 6pm departures to New York can be dicey. On a day with borderline weather even more so. Low visibility throughout the day meant planes stacking up trying to enter and leave New York airspace.

Since I was checking bags, I showed up at DCA around 4:45pm. Breezed through security after opting out (the US Airways pier has three lanes, only two of which have nude-o-scopes, but the middle lane without the scanner was closed). Stopped by the news shop and for a Five Guys burger, it was going to be better than my options on the other end, and we skipped the lounge.

Boarding was on-time, and quick, it wasn’t a full flight. My wife and I had 6A and 6C, no upgrade, my only US Airways elite qualifying miles for the year are the ones I earned from the Grand Slam. My short-haul US Airways segments get credited to bmi for their 600 mile minimums (plus status bonus), and I’ve re-qualified for Gold mostly on the basis of those US Airways short hops.

In hindsight of course I’m regretting that decision. British Midland miles have been really valuable, with their cash and points award chart and one-way awards allowing stopovers. They’re a great program for crediting premium cabin fares given the generous class of service bonuses. And being Star Gold in a non-US program has meant no need to buy a United lounge membership.

But with British Airways acquiring bmi, I expect my precious Diamond Club points to become Avios and to no longer be a Star Alliance Gold member through a non-US program. I’m hoping, of course, that the program continues to run as a standalone at least long enough to redeem my miles efficiently, and ideally that Star Alliance would run a status match offer to try to retain bmi elites.

Everyone was ready to go and we pushed back a few minutes early. Then we pulled off the active taxiway and the pilot told us we’d be sitting for about half an hour, cell phones were permitted which was great because a reporter was trying to get hold of me for a story on credit card signup bonuses.

After an hour’s delay we were on our way, flight time is usually about 35 minutes but after about 20 we started circling. And circling. And circling. Then we’d inch north, and circle again. Without United’s channel 9, and with a fairly uncommunicative pilot, we didn’t know how long we’d be. Shortly after 8pm we landed. And the pilot came on to let us know that we had no gate to go to, and wouldn’t be allowed to taxi across the airport. So we sat. And we sat. Half an hour went by and we hadn’t moved, planes were stacked side by side in close proximity. After an hour had passed we were released, and we made it over to a gate around 9:30pm. Even if the three hour tarmac delay rule added departure delays and arrival delays, US Airways would have been in the clear. I’d have loved to have had more updates, but otherwise it wasn’t terrible, the only real annoyance being the lack of cushioning on those US Airways coach seats!

A quick wait at baggage claim, hop in a cab, and we were off to the Sheraton JFK.
    [​IMG]
    JFK really is a hotel wasteland. The last time I needed an airport overnight there I stayed at the almost-adequate Hilton Garden Inn, this Sheraton wasn’t yet built and is right next door. It’s close to the airport, and new, and that puts it head and shoulders above the JFK competition. Which means that it’s able to pull $250 a night room rates. I burned some points, not the greatest use of 10,000 I’ll admit. I didn’t want to head into the city only to try to make it back out to JFK for a 9am international departure. The proximity was attractive, and really how bad could it be?

We were at the hotel a little bit after 10pm, checkin was quick and I was assigned a room at the very end of the hall on the 6th floor.
    [​IMG]
    It was the smallest hotel room I’ve ever been in, smaller than I’ve had at the W New York (the one on Lex) and smaller than at the Hilton Tokyo. The bathroom though was reasonable enough.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

savydog, Jimgotkp, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There were two main problems, though. First, the room faced the freeway and there was virtually no soundproofing. The circling winds and the cars below were loud. And second, the internet signal didn’t really reach the end of the hall and I had no connectivity.

I did mention both of these things when asked in the morning how my stay was. The clerk proactively offered me 1000 points as an apology (nice gesture, but seriously, 1000 points? There are two things I was looking for from my stay – a peaceful night’s rest, and the ability to be productive, I had neither.)

Still, if I had to stay at JFK again I’d probably do the Sheraton, because it’s arguably marginally better than the Hilton Garden Inn next door, and there really are no other options.

More likely though I’d grab a room at the Holiday Inn Long Island City, it’s a little further from the airport so not really an airport hotel, but it would provide a clean, restful night’s sleep while still avoiding morning traffic out of the City.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The shuttle driver was prompt for the 7am departure to the airport. It was a really ratty van, with fraying seats and tape on the liner along the top of the sliding passenger door. But it did the trick, and after stops at a couple of other terminals along the way we made it to terminal 7 by 7:20, nearly two hours before our departure.

savydog, jbcarioca, Jimgotkp and 4 others like this.
  4. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait for more, Gary!!!

savydog, milestoburn, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  5. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    ditto.

6. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1... Great trip report so far! Looking forward to the Conrad Koh Samui!!!

savydog, jbcarioca, Mangy and 3 others like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... and the rest of the trip! :)

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    New York JFK - Hong Kong, Cathay Pacific FIrst Class

Cathay Pacific first and business class check-in is with British Airways at the end of Terminal 7, it’s quiet and has its own dedicated security so no real waiting.

[​IMG][​IMG]

With no one ahead in line it took a surprisingly long time for an agent to free up, and then a surprisingly long time to check in. The only bit of confusion came when I asked them to print a lounge invitation for Hong Kong. I explained that we were in first class for the transpacific segment, on a first class (award ticket), our onward flight to Bangkok had been downgauged to an aircraft with no first class cabin. In the past I’ve had no problem getting access to first class lounges in Hong Kong based on arriving first class boarding passes.

The agent printed a lounge invitation for Hong Kong. It said business class. I explained the difference and she seemed unsure of what to do, “I’ll have to talk to someone to ok it.” I mentioned I even had an email from Hong Kong explaining that this was permitted, she asked to see it, and then said “well, if I’m asked I can say he had an email!” She tried to print first class lounge invites and said the computer wouldn’t let her without approval – and she didn’t want to get approval, “just ask in Hong Kong.”

Great…

The single security line is also up a surprisingly steep gradiant, it’s like walking up Nob Hill in San Francisco (albeit for a very short distance).

Off to the lounge, Cathay Pacific uses the British Airways Terraces lounge and as a first class passenger I was directed left to the first class side. It’s not real first class lounge, since BA first class passengers have access to the Concorde Room. Instead, it’s really an Executive Club Gold lounge that’s called first class.

They had coffee, juice, tea, and a stocked bar, they had internet access, cereal, and they had smoked salmon. No hot items, no service, and the place was packed when we walked in. A London-bound flight was departing, though, and the place quickly cleared out.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ultimately, the lounge was perfectly serviceable though non-descript, there wasn’t really anything ‘first class’ about it, certainly not anything that lives up to the overall Cathay Pacific first class experience. Still, it’s better than departing on the midnight flight from Toronto where they use the KLM lounge. I find Cathay Pacific to be really outstanding in the air, but I’m not at all impressed by their service on the ground.

Since I hadn’t had any internet access since boarding my US Airways flight to New York 14 hours earlier, I tried to catch up on things in the lounge knowing that I’d be offline again for at least 16 hours. Boarding was called, and I hurriedly finished a document for work, sent it off, and was the one of the last two or three to board the flight. On the way to the gate I stopped at Starbucks, wanting another coffee and knowing that Cathay Pacific doesn’t serve hot beverages on the ground or until the seatbelt sign is turned off. Only when I got to the front of the line they informed me that their espresso machine was broken. Why they didn’t say something to folks standing in line I’ll never know, other than the fact that this is New York and it’s a Starbucks at JFK.

The little Starbucks delay meant a backup on the jetway by the time I made my way over to the gate.
    [​IMG]

savydog, jbcarioca, Bonnie and 4 others like this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Once onboard, though, I was at peace. Cathay Pacific’s seats aren’t the newest anymore and they don’t have ‘doors’ but they’re holding up exceptionally well. I stowed my carryons in my seat’s closet. I do like the spaciousness that comes from not having any overhead bins. And the way you can lean against the seats while standing makes it one of the few cabins where it feels ‘normal’ to stand up and talk.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The load was 5/6 with only one of the two middle seats open. Sad, just days earlier my wife I had had appeared to be alone in the cabin. Alas, not a repeat of our February Asia trip where we had two first class flights to ourselves up front.

Pre-departure beverages, pajamas and amenity kits were distributed, we pushed back, and we were airborne in no time.

[​IMG]

Taxiing at JFK is always interesting for plane spotting, here’s an El Al 747.

[​IMG]

savydog, jbcarioca, Bonnie and 4 others like this.
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I quickly made my way across to the ottoman of my wife’s seat, while a flight attendant set up her table for us to dine together, across from each other as though in a restaurant. They add a table extender and have a tablecloth that fits across the entire double-length table.

We began with brunch, and would end the flight with lunch as the second meal. Here’s the brunch menu:

BRUNCH
    Starters
    Orange or apple juice
    Mango energizer
    Fresh seasonal fruit
    Natural or fruit yoghurt
    Assorted cereals

Main Courses
    Free range eggs-freshly scrambled, fried or boiled
    Served with grilled pork sausage, Breakfast steak, home fried potatoes, grilled tomato and sautéed mushrooms

Dim sum with chili sauce
    Shrimp dumpling, siu mai, scallop dumpling, glutinous rice wrapped in lotus leaf

Seafood congee, steamed mushroom rice roll with imperial soy sauce

Bread Basket
    Assorted breakfast bread and fresh toast
    Served with Mrs. Bridges Scottish preserves, Tasmanian meadow honey and butter

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

As always, a welcome note from the cabin crew:

[​IMG]

Fruit starter:

[​IMG]
    I had the dim sum:
    [​IMG]
    My wife had the congee:
    [​IMG]

After a short meal, not taking advantage of all the courses, I changed into my Shanghai Tang pajamas, a flight attendant made my bed (leaving it semi-upright for lounging), and I settled in and began exploring the extensive options in the StudioCX system. Cathay really does have a deep selection of movies and television shows. The only thing I find annoying is the array of commercials which play at the start of each one, though of course you can fast forward through them.

I watched a couple episodes of the final season of Entourage and the Keira Knightley film Last Night, worked for a bit, and the flight was somehow halfway through its expected 15 hours and 15 minutes. Time for a look at the snack menu:

SNACKS
    Braised beef brisket in noodle soup

Brie cheese with yellow peppers and chives on multi-grain corn spitz roll and mesclun salad

Chicken tikka with mint yoghurt sauce

Hot pot rice with cured meats, served with chicken broth

Ice cream

It’s important to remember that Cathay Pacific’s service standard is to avoid disturbing the cabin. Unlike on some airlines, where flight attendants roam the aisles throughout the flight looking for something they can do for you, or even observe you discretely, Cathay Pacific first class flight attendants stay in the galley until called.

Now Ben has been known to push the call button and time how long it takes a flight attendant to respond. On this flight, I wouldn’t have been able to do that, I’d push the button and before I’d have been able to even start a clock someone was by my side. I ordered the beef brisket:

[​IMG]

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    A brief nap, a bit more StudioCX, and we were about an hour and a half outside Hong Kong, my wife and I decided to have lunch together.

LUNCH

Caviar and Fine Smoked Salmon
    Caviar and fine smoked salmon

International Favourites
    Saffron cream soup

Lobster and mango salad with lemon olive oil dressing

Grilled double bone lamb chop with rosemary jus, polenta roulade and grilled zucchini
    Or
    Pappardelle pasta with white asparagus sauce, toasted peanuts and grilled asparagus

Chinese Favourites
    Double boied quail with Chinese yam soup

Cold plate – marinated gluten with dried mushroom

Stir-fried seafood in X.O. sauce
    Or
    Braised chicken with chestnuts

Served with steamed jasmine rice, stir-fried pak choy, black mushroom and carrot flower

Cheese and Dessert
    Cambozola, Taleggio, Manchego, Chaumes

Fresh seasonal berries with rose syrup

Pistachio pudding cake, vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce

Red bean soup with lotus seeds

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Naturally, a bit of caviar to begin:
    [​IMG]

I had the saffron cream soup, and my wife had the Chinese yam soup:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I then continued the Western menu with lobster and mango salad…
    [​IMG]
    .. then my wife and I both went for the Chinese meal.
    [​IMG]

savydog, jbcarioca, Bonnie and 3 others like this.
  12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And I had dessert (Pistachio pudding cake) back at my seat. The menu said it came with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce but it was served with chocolate ice cream, sans sauce, and the cake was a bit dry.

[​IMG]

It was time to change out of my pajamas for landing in Hong Kong. By the time I returned to my seat, my bedding was removed and everything was back into place for landing. We were a few minutes early, and I was very much looking forward to clearing transit security and heading off for a shower.

savydog, jbcarioca, Jimgotkp and 3 others like this.
  13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Pier Lounge and Cathay Pacific Business Class, Hong Kong – Bangkok

We landed in Hong Kong, proceeded to transfer security, and took the train over to Cathay Pacific’s The Pier lounge which was adjacent to our onward connecting gate.

Though we were flying business class Hong Kong – Bangkok, as an arriving first class passenger showing a first class boarding pass stub we were granted access to the First Class lounge. The drama of whether or not we’d have access with the agent in New York was a non-issue, we were welcomed in without difficulty.

Unlike the bright, light, airy first class side of The Wing, The Pier is darker and done up in wood. Some prefer that look, but I find that there are nicks and scratches everywhere, the Pier seems well-worn to me.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

First off was a shower, and then some internet time. The internet connection, though, was exceptionally weak and I had to move around the lounge to find a strong enough signal to get through my email.

Half an hour from departure we proceeded to our boarding gate and onto the plane for a fairly uneventful trip to Bangkok.

A far cry from the original 747 we were originally booked into first class on, we were greeted by an old style regional business class — which for intra-Asia flying is fine but a bit depressing, though which for even a domestic transcon in the U.S. would be a joy.

[​IMG][​IMG]

savydog, jbcarioca, Jimgotkp and 5 others like this.
  14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The flight was scheduled for a bit over two hours and dinner would be served:

DINNER

Starter
    Marinated chili prawns with mixed rice salad and citrus vinaigrette

Main Courses
    Steamed sea bass with mushroom and red dates, steamed jasmine rice and stir-fried choy sum

Braised lamb shoulder rack with lamb sauce, green pea mash, roasted baby carrot, garlic and shallot

Ice Cream

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

My wife had the lamb…
    [​IMG]

.. and I had the sea bass:

[​IMG]

The flight was fairly uneventful. We circled Bangkok before landing due to air traffic control, which was odd because so many flights in and out of Bangkok had been cancelled as a result of reduced passenger traffic from the flooding. Our original 747 had been downsized, and indeed our original flight had been cancelled a week or so in advance and everyone moved onto the flight an hour later.

Upon arrival, we were met at the end of the jetway by a representative of our car service. I’ve been using Image Limo for Bangkok transportation for a few years successfully, they’re not the absolute cheapest but their prices are reasonable and I’ve found them to be reliable. They were running a special for free VIP meet and greet with airport transfer, so I pre-booked a few months out to take advantage of the offer. I wouldn’t have needed it, Cathay Pacific provided fast track passes to everyone in business class. Though fast track did have lines 5 or 6 people deep when we arrived. Our representative simply waived at a woman near the fast track area, and she immediately came over to open a new line for us and we breezed through.

We walked over to baggage claim, waited a couple of minutes, and our baggage was out. We then were escorted out to meet our driver, however he was nowhere to be found. And he wasn’t answering his cell phone. The gentleman who met us left in search of the driver — he quickly found the vehicle but not the man. It was more than 20 minutes before he figured out that the driver was waiting a door over from us. Once that was sorted we were on our way to the Conrad.

15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an FYI... ElAl means 'to go up' in English.

SC Flier, savydog, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  16. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been an unpublished benefit for many many years and when you checked-in at JFK they should have been able to print you the invitation for F lounge access in HKG, even if your original tix had HKG-BKK booked in J from the get go. Arriving ex-F on CX and connecting to J on CX or KA entitles access to the F section of the Wing and Pier.

But again I last heard, BA employees handle CX check-in at JFK and thus some of the staff may not be aware of this benefit. Not sure if CX still/was using BA ground staff behind the counters today and/or the day you checked-in as till today, JFK (along with the new ORD service) remains the only CX NA routes I have never flown to/from.

Overall, CX lounge staff members are very knowledgable and know the full details of the rules for access into the facilities, including the unpublished benefits. So even if things break down for the invitation printout during check-in at the outport station, you can almost rest assure you most likely will not have any problems once they verify your eligibility. Nonetheless, thanks for the reports and look forward to reading the rest of them once you have the time to post.

savydog, jbcarioca, Jimgotkp and 2 others like this.
  17. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great report, love the food photographs :)

savydog, Rejuvenated, cennas and 2 others like this.
  18. pdb

pdb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent report--and always a vicarious pleasure to read about FC experiences on CX.

gleff, If you can, would you please share what BA charged for fuel adjustment and taxes on each award ticket, when you booked them, several months ago? Thanks in advance.

savydog and Kalboz like this.
  19. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I believe taxes/fees all-in were $371.83 per person plus telephone ticketing fees (I booked two one-ways so they were $50 per person).

I've had success in the past arguing that I couldn't book something online so shouldn't be charged the telephone fees. I had an otherwise helpful agent and didn't push it in this case though it cost me $100 as a result ($25 each way, 2 people).

20. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your trip report is always a joy to read. Looking forward to more :)

savydog, lwkatya, Rejuvenated and 2 others like this.
  21. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gary, this is food porn at its best! :D Am loving your TR!! Thank you!!

savydog, Kalboz and Jimgotkp like this.
  22. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Conrad Bangkok Deluxe Suite

We pulled up to the Conrad and were immediately assisted with our bags and directed to the front desk.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Upon identifying myself, the woman at the desk went for assistance. I had a momentary panic — I had booked the room on a mistake rate of sorts, when Hilton HHonors introduced cash and points awards the Conrad Bangkok published all room types other than the Presidential Suite with the cash and points rate plan. So I got a discounted award, and I was able to book the next suite down from the Presidential. I thought perhaps I had a problem…

But no such worry, another woman came over and said that since I had already booked a suite they wouldn’t be able to upgrade me further, and would I like the 1000 point Diamond amenity in lieu of upgrade? Then they proceeded to simply escort us to the suite in order to handle check-in formalities there.

Tired as I was, I had the presence of mind to hand the woman my Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I do have a Hilton Surpass American Express which earns 9 Hilton points per dollar, but also charges a foreign currency conversion fee. The Sapphire earns 2 points per dollar on hotel spend, and has no such foreign currency fee, so saves me cash and earns double points, a far better choice in my view when traveling internationally — even when staying at a Hilton when I have the co-branded ‘premium’ Hilton card.

23. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    We walked into the living room, which contained a sofa area, desk/workspace, and small dining area.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

savydog, Rejuvenated, Bonnie and 2 others like this.
  24. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Here’s the bedroom:

[​IMG]

And the bathroom, to the side of which is a walk-in closet and luggage storage area.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

There was a separate toilet room, the shower was excellent with both nozzle and rainshower, and the tub had a little plastic elephant:

[​IMG]

25. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    This is the view from the room:

[​IMG]

We went up to the lounge for breakfast in the morning but found the place deserted of guests and staff explained occupancy was very low, there were only some pastries out and complimentary buffet breakfast was available in the restaurant. So we sat and had some coffee and a croissant before heading downstairs.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

On this visit to Bangkok, just two nights and one full day, we decided to get out of the city for some sightseeing. In Bangkok I’m comfortable getting around on my own, but since things like the floating market and train market would require driving I made arrangements with Tour With Tong, whom I used for my in-laws visit to Bangkok by cruise ship in April.