Forum

Share:
Notifications

What's the future of InsideFlyer?  

Page 5 / 14
  RSS
ACMM
 ACMM
(@acmm)

Wandering Aramean, post: 2757428, member: 23 wrote:

Sure, but it won't be discussed here.

... And does that not speak volumes as to the issues behind IF?

Sent from my iPhone

ACMM at your service! I am an Elite and Million Mile member and [B">HH Diamond[/B">

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 11, 2016 2:41 pm
Sweet Willie
(@sweet-willie)

Kiwii_Xan, post: 2757124, member: 172090 wrote: As someone in the business of digital media....

The problem with this is that everyone is asking questions, and few are truly there to answer.

Is there a responsibility on behalf of those asking questions to respond once they've received an answer or to let the forum know what they eventually came to know?

I would say there is, have to give to receive, encouraging a feedback loop. Curious on your thoughts on the matter.

Pizzaman, post: 2757132, member: 24 wrote: I'm definitely open to suggestions....

https://insideflyer.com/forums/threads/general-discussion-threads-should-be-moved-to-destination-travel.71075/
-

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 11, 2016 3:41 pm
Kiwii_Xan
(@kiwii_xan)

Sweet Willie, post: 2757436, member: 1098 wrote: Is there a responsibility on behalf of those asking questions to respond once they've received an answer or to let the forum know what they eventually came to know?

I would say there is, have to give to receive, encouraging a feedback loop. Curious on your thoughts on the matter.
https://insideflyer.com/forums/threads/general-discussion-threads-should-be-moved-to-destination-travel.71075/
-

I definitely think it is common courtesy to acknowledge that someone has answered your question and to let people know if you have found an alternative solution. I agree, it shouldn't be a one way conversation, but that is up to the people here.

*This post represents solely my own opinions and thoughts and not of my employer or clients they hold.*

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 11, 2016 5:35 pm
YULtide
(@yultide)

adamefimoff2, post: 2757255, member: 180500 wrote: What is NL?

Lionell, post: 2757263, member: 142720 wrote: The Netherlands 🙂

Actually, it's Newfoundland and Labrador. :p

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2016 1:13 am
norge
(@norge)
Silver

I'm a member here and on FT. There is nothing here that is of interest to me. Not trying to be mean/cruel but just MHO. I'm surprised IF still exists. Hopefully the owners can turn things around.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2016 2:16 am
About Again
(@about-again)

norge, post: 2757509, member: 973 wrote: I'm a member here and on FT. There is nothing here that is of interest to me. Not trying to be mean/cruel but just MHO. I'm surprised IF still exists. Hopefully the owners can turn things around.

understood Norge, we can see your stats:)

how much activity on FT?

[INDENT]when we hit 27,233 posts in FL 6 we hit the half a million posts for the FL Lounges.

including the c.10K posts in the Trump For President FL Lounge, we've already hit the half a million posts.

https://insideflyer.com/forums/threads/fl-trump-for-president-lounge.133828/page-398[/INDENT]

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2016 2:19 am
norge
(@norge)
Silver

I lost track at 10,000.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2016 4:18 am
About Again
(@about-again)

norge, post: 2757523, member: 973 wrote: I lost track at 10,000.

i lost rack on here at 100K:D

enjoy FT:p

[INDENT]when we hit 27,233 posts in FL 6 we hit the half a million posts for the FL Lounges.

including the c.10K posts in the Trump For President FL Lounge, we've already hit the half a million posts.

https://insideflyer.com/forums/threads/fl-trump-for-president-lounge.133828/page-398[/INDENT]

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2016 5:02 am
mattsteg
(@mattsteg)

NYCUA1K, post: 2757176, member: 43667 wrote: There is no mystery what has happened at all. It has nothing to do with "some bad eggs arrived and pleas to reign them in to MP management were ignored".

The demise of MP came about because the members were no longer the centerpiece driving the discussion. IF, with its "magazine" format started to introduce travel news from around the web that used to be the "prerogative" of the members and was the spark that started discussions. When, say, Hilton announced a promo, a member would hurriedly post about it and others would chime in about its pluses or minuses, etc. Now, IF has taken that over, and the reformatted user interface is not really designed for people to know at a glance what's "trending" in every forum as it used to before. The whole new structure is "opaque" and not designed as a discussion group where the members drive the discussion.

Well, at least that is why I no longer come here. The site, rather than the members, has tried to be the driver and it is clearly not working...

Quite literally I only find this and other threads with discussion in them through the old milepoint find new posts link that redirects to IF...and I have no idea where I would even find it (if it exists at all) in the new interface - which just confuses and does not deliver content (so I otherwise do not bother with it).

What's the benefit of spamming posts from people that write the same content with a few words rearranged on their own blogs (which may already be hosted on BA as well)? They just duplicate what is already provided at different site run by much of the same people. Those useless posts and the aggregation of the flight deal (which I visit separately anyway) take up almost all of the space on the main page. It's difficult to find where I can even access any content that it truly unique or otherwise IF-driven.

You built a site based on driving conversations between frequent travelers, then hid it in a new platform designed to deliver a lot of crap that the bulk of us were not asking for - to the extent that you killed off the site as a conversation/community-driven resource.

Silver Gold Executive Platinum Classic Plus Exec Elite Platinum Gold Diamond

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2016 4:58 pm
misman
(@misman)

mattsteg, post: 2757580, member: 5563 wrote: Quite literally I only find this and other threads with discussion in them through the old milepoint find new posts link that redirects to IF...and I have no idea where I would even find it (if it exists at all) in the new interface - which just confuses and does not deliver content (so I otherwise do not bother with it).

What's the benefit of spamming posts from people that write the same content with a few words rearranged on their own blogs (which may already be hosted on BA as well)? They just duplicate what is already provided at different site run by much of the same people. Those useless posts and the aggregation of the flight deal (which I visit separately anyway) take up almost all of the space on the main page. It's difficult to find where I can even access any content that it truly unique or otherwise IF-driven.

You built a site based on driving conversations between frequent travelers, then hid it in a new platform designed to deliver a lot of crap that the bulk of us were not asking for - to the extent that you killed off the site as a conversation/community-driven resource.

I agree; navigation can be... interesting. The "new posts" and "watched threads/forums". can be found under the MORE navigation, for some reason.

It takes four parts to ring a chord
Sing it right, and you'll never be bored

The Duke City Sound finished 25th out of 770+ in the International Barbershop Convention in Pittsburgh!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2016 7:12 pm
Randy Petersen
(@randy-petersen)
Admin

ACMM, post: 2757178, member: 520 wrote: Well I wish you all the best folks. I still stand by my words. The latest app release full of bugs on iOS shows me that the mindset is all wrong. Where is the focus? Where is the caring about what you deliver?

As always, our apologies. As I'm sure you are aware, we use Tapatalk as our service provider for the app and while they are by far the largest provider of such services (millions of users, hundreds of thousands of other communities) I don't disagree that they do have bugs on occasion in their releases. We're preparing for yet another release for which the change log is:
· Search functions returned in global menu, forum, sub-forum *and* thread view – highly requested!
· Fixed sub-forum topic list
· Fixed Facebook & Twitter links occasional incorrect app re-direct
· Fixed issues experienced by some users preventing login
· Minor bug fixes and performance improvement
· Crash issues resolved

And yes, we hope that "Crash issues resolved" means what it says. We did note that this latest release comes roughly two weeks after the last release so evidently there were some issues that bubbled up. I was one of the lucky ones as i use the app on iOS (#6 + iPad mini) and I say lucky as i have had no problems whatsoever with crashing or use. But it's the experiences of all members that is most important so let's hope Tapatalk has the fixes right for you.

As mentioned, we have plans for building our own app but when it's a challenge for experienced app builders it becomes even more daunting for us and the cost to build world class apps is fairly steep as you might imagine. Heck, the number of updates that run daily through the app store just on the apps i use is fairly staggering.

Anyway, it's not always our mindset that is reflective in some of these issues. There's not that many app builders for forum software like Xenforo and we've went with a recognizable name that many seem to enjoy. We'll keep applying input to Tapatalk for our members needs with hope that it will suffice until a better solution comes along and of course that it doesn't get in the way of contributing to the website.

Have a great day and for what it's worth ... behind this post is a guy that loves what he does for frequent flyers, so contact me anytime.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2016 7:33 pm
ACMM
 ACMM
(@acmm)

Randy. Thanks for your words. Please see my post in the replacement for MP app thread where I listed the issues I found very quickly in the new app. These are regressions. Not bugs in new features. They should never have happened. None of the issues in your change log address what I found apparently. Such as

- not being able to click on a posted link
- having to wait a time limit before editing a post
- auto-refresh not working
- take any post in the app. Tap on it. Choose 'More' Click 'Web view'. Nothing happens. '.

Sent from my iPhone

ACMM at your service! I am an Elite and Million Mile member and [B">HH Diamond[/B">

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 12, 2016 8:11 pm
estnet
(@estnet)

So I can't just "post" to the thread have to "reply" to a post -weird

Also - the limited hover over a thread which pulled up first few sentences (altho only one direction not recognizing page position) now is GONE. Have to click to see anything. NOT user friendly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2016 12:54 am
Canarsie
(@canarsie)

estnet, post: 2757624, member: 896 wrote: So I can't just "post" to the thread have to "reply" to a post -weird

Also - the limited hover over a thread which pulled up first few sentences (altho only one direction not recognizing page position) now is GONE. Have to click to see anything. NOT user friendly.

Neither of those statements is true for me — unless I am not understanding what you are saying.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2016 2:25 am
radonc1951
(@radonc1951)

YULtide, post: 2757501, member: 41786 wrote: Actually, it's Newfoundland and Labrador. :p

Are we talking countries or dog breeds[emoji1]?

To be honest, as a non-tech user, most of this thread is certainly eye opening. I had no idea of the complexities involved in running one of these sites.
I just always presume there will be bugs and glitches, I just deal with them and move on (usually muttering expletives under my breath [emoji10]), but it doesn't deter me.

Sent from my iPad using InsideFlyer mobile app

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2016 6:00 am
Page 5 / 14