Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Premium Membership [P1/2012]  

Page 69 / 93
  RSS
viguera
(@viguera)

cvsara, post: 1555755, member: 1504 wrote: As in all programs, it requires learning what the benefits are, spending the time reading about Hyatt, National, and the others. Given time, (Away from the other things I like to do, like sit on MP much too long) I am probably missing the boat by staying on MP too much???:cool:

On the contrary... I think as you've seen that if you're not on MP enough, that's when you miss the proverbial boat. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2012 3:18 am
cvsara
(@cvsara)

viguera, post: 1555759, member: 8917 wrote: On the contrary... I think as you've seen that if you're not on MP enough, that's when you miss the proverbial boat. 🙂

Agreed. But I do tend to spend a lot of time here. Good thing for multitasking.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2012 3:23 am
servo
(@servo)
Silver

viguera, post: 1555741, member: 8917 wrote: Well I think that's the point here though... if you're not a Hyatt member, why not hit the ground running? You get immediate Platinum status which comes with a few perks and even a cert to upgrade a reservation to a Club room (albeit with restrictions). Same for National and getting immediate Executive status.

You get to see what the hoopla is about and whether or not you want to pursue them next year to keep the status.

This is pretty much my approach. I was a total noob to the points/miles game when I started perusing early last month, and I came across the link on one of the blogs I found, and I've been hooked ever since. I pretty much started from the ground floor (except for domestic programs on SWA and B6 which I had earned awards on prior), so I'm trying out pretty much all the features of the program, like:

1. I got my awardwallet onecard the other day, and am not sure what the benefit is - it didn't work trying to check into my F9 flight on Monday at MDW

2. Bought the book from Kralev and read it cover to cover during my recent MCO-SDF-MDW-DEN-SAN-ATL-MCO jaunt last week, and found it to be very eye opening. I plan to refer to it more in-depth when a specific scenario comes up that he references. This was well worth the money.

3. Used my Hyatt Platinum Elite status for the first time 8/27, and the check-in experience was very nice. I got into a room right away despite checking in at 10am, and there was a line of at least 15 people for standard check-in. I just walked right up to the Gold Passport section. I can see why that stuff is addictive. Unrelated to the status, I found the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego to be a bit dated, and their pricing structure made me scared to touch anything for fear of an upcharge. I went to the Top of the Hyatt bar, ordered a drink (which on the menu stated simply $11), and when the bill came, it said $15 for my drink. When I inquired as to why, the waitress said it was because I ordered my drink "on the rocks". $4 for about 10 thin ice cubes? Forget retiring in San Diego.

Other items really don't hold a lot of value in my eyes, but the book, the National Status (which I parlayed into a Hertz status match), and Kiva, which I discovered via this site and am now part of the group, is well worth the $59 in and of themselves. Adding additional benefits on top of this is just whippy icing on the cupcake. Some of the MP forums aren't as active as I had expected, though. I assume everyone hangs out on a different board than the ones I look at. I'm not going anywhere though. I found my niche.

U of L Platinum Executive Platinum Gold Gold

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2012 5:20 am
kansaskeith
(@kansaskeith)

And here I sit with a glass of merlot on an AS 737-900, 34,000 feet over Iowa, using my 'Gogo" day pass! I love milepoint! I love premium membership even more 🙂

American Platinum ; United Premier Platinum[SIZE=2">, AA & UA Dining VIP,[I">[B"> President's Circle[I">[I">[B">, Hyatt Diamond,[/I">[/B">[/I">[/I">[/B">[/SIZE">
[I"> Hilton Diamond VIP ; Marriott Gold Elite, Omni Select Guest Platinum, [I">milepoint [B">Gold,, [SIZE=2">[I">[/I">[/B">[/I">[/SIZE">[/I">

http://www.kansaskeith.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2012 9:44 pm
cvsara
(@cvsara)

kansaskeith, post: 1556735, member: 38760 wrote: And here I sit with a glass of merlot on an AS 737-900, 34,000 feet over Iowa, using my 'Gogo" day pass! I love milepoint! I love premium membership even more 🙂

Iowa? Well. if you're east bound, and sitting on the Starboard side of the craft, wave as you go by.

a

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2012 11:34 pm
kansaskeith
(@kansaskeith)

cvsara, post: 1556796, member: 1504 wrote: Iowa? Well. if you're east bound, and sitting on the Starboard side of the craft, wave as you go by.

a

lol. Port side, going west, now 36,000 ft over MT-ID line headed from ORD to SEA. Gogo has worked well this flight. Descending soon.

American Platinum ; United Premier Platinum[SIZE=2">, AA & UA Dining VIP,[I">[B"> President's Circle[I">[I">[B">, Hyatt Diamond,[/I">[/B">[/I">[/I">[/B">[/SIZE">
[I"> Hilton Diamond VIP ; Marriott Gold Elite, Omni Select Guest Platinum, [I">milepoint [B">Gold,, [SIZE=2">[I">[/I">[/B">[/I">[/SIZE">[/I">

http://www.kansaskeith.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2012 11:49 pm
gleff
(@gleff)
Admin

Well I'm using inflight Gogo right now, not with my Milepoint premium pass though - I used that one long ago. Yes, I jumped in and bought Milepoint premium.

I am gifting the Hyatt Platinum and National Executive status to a co-worker, I'm taking the United miles for myself!

View from the Wing: everything you need to know about earning/redeeming miles & getting the most bang for your travel $$

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 3, 2012 12:15 am
willski
(@willski)

Hi guys - lurker as a non-member for a while and finally decided to join with the return of the premium membership 🙂

Quick background - grew up in the US/UK and now live in Tokyo/Seoul. Unfortunately that seems to mean there are less great offers in this region of the world, but will try and contribute anyway!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 3, 2012 12:40 pm
perryplatypus
(@perryplatypus)

willski, post: 1557386, member: 89742 wrote: Hi guys - lurker as a non-member for a while and finally decided to join with the return of the premium membership 🙂

Quick background - grew up in the US/UK and now live in Tokyo/Seoul. Unfortunately that seems to mean there are less great offers in this region of the world, but will try and contribute anyway!

Welcome to Mile Point

Executive PlatypusEmerald Plat Gold Plat

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 3, 2012 12:42 pm
airshadow
(@airshadow)

Randy - I have a question. As the relationships between MP and these sponsoring programs are being strengthened, and in the case of the premium memberships where actual data is being shared to receive miles, status, etc., I assume MP doesn't connect user names with actual names - yes? I know many members prefer a level of anonymity (if possible). I'm guessing the answer is you don't - but was curious enough to ask. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 3, 2012 2:01 pm
marcwint55
(@marcwint55)

willski, post: 1557386, member: 89742 wrote: Hi guys - lurker as a non-member for a while and finally decided to join with the return of the premium membership 🙂

Welcome to Milepoint. We are leaving for Tokyo in 3 days. If you have any recommendations for food or sights, I would love to hear about them. We are staying at the Park Hyatt for the first 5 days of our trip.

EXP Gold Diamond Diamond [SIZE=5">A|CLUB [SIZE=1">Platinum Platinum[/SIZE">[/SIZE">
[SIZE=5">[SIZE=1"> Platinum Platinum President's Club[/SIZE">[/SIZE">
[SIZE=5">[SIZE=1"> Exec Elite Platinum[/SIZE">[/SIZE">

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 3, 2012 2:50 pm
willski
(@willski)

marcwint55, post: 1557511, member: 3067 wrote: Welcome to Milepoint. We are leaving for Tokyo in 3 days. If you have any recommendations for food or sights, I would love to hear about them. We are staying at the Park Hyatt for the first 5 days of our trip.

Sure more than happy to. I've been here about a year so my knowledge is probably not as thorough as that of a native but willing to share what I have! My mother stayed in the PH Tokyo a couple of weeks ago though - great hotel 🙂

As soon as I figure out how to start a 'conversation' (private chats?) with you I will do!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 3, 2012 3:04 pm
viguera
(@viguera)

marcwint55 wrote:

Welcome to Milepoint. We are leaving for Tokyo in 3 days. If you have any recommendations for food or sights, I would love to hear about them. We are staying at the Park Hyatt for the first 5 days of our trip.

Check out the Trip Reports or Newstand sections. Plenty of recent reports from out there even including the same hotel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 3, 2012 3:39 pm
Mikel
(@mikel)

airshadow, post: 1557467, member: 1989 wrote: Randy - I have a question. As the relationships between MP and these sponsoring programs are being strengthened, and in the case of the premium memberships where actual data is being shared to receive miles, status, etc., I assume MP doesn't connect user names with actual names - yes? I know many members prefer a level of anonymity (if possible). I'm guessing the answer is you don't - but was curious enough to ask. Thanks!

I'm not Randy ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and so can answer this one 🙂

We do not share your Milepoint username with the programs. When you claim your United, Hyatt and National benefits you are asked to enter your account number for the program and the name on your account. That is all the program needs to provide you with your benefit, and it is all we share with them.

Welcome to MilePoint

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 4, 2012 2:30 pm
airshadow
(@airshadow)

Mikel, post: 1558916, member: 4 wrote: I'm not Randy ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and so can answer this one 🙂

We do not share your Milepoint username with the programs. When you claim your United, Hyatt and National benefits you are asked to enter your account number for the program and the name on your account. That is all the program needs to provide you with your benefit, and it is all we share with them.

Awesome - I figured that was the case. Hope you enjoyed those cinnamon roles this morning.

I'll have to design you a t-shirt one day: "I may not be Randy, but I still gotta lotta miles!" 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 4, 2012 4:17 pm
Page 69 / 93