Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Sammich goes to melt snow in NYC/BOS  

RSS
Sammich
(@sammich)

1. Cathay Pacific CX 888 First Class Suite 77W YVR-JFK

As I write this, I’m currently over a random US town with about an hour and ten minutes to spare before landing at JFK.

To start off, I'd like to say one thing, and one thing that you’ll see throughout this trip report:

I Love, Love, Love Cathay Pacific!

I’ve always been a fan of CX, their service was always consistent. However I have not had the chance to fly their long haul premium class products in a while. The last time I’ve actually stepped foot in their premium cabin was HKG-TPE (one hour flight) in J.

This particular flight, CX 888, flies from HKG-YVR-JFK on a daily basis. I’m currently situated in seat 1A, along with 3 other F cabin pax (who are all seated along the other row across).

Seat 1A, is ridiculously private. Since these suites have a right hand side exit, Seats 1A and 2A will have less foot traffic than usual, and less lighting as well from the cabin corridors.

Upon boarding, I was greeted by a wonderful flight attendant, who was surprisingly based in YVR, not HKG. She introduced me to herself, as well as offering a head start on beverage service. Me, being a rare drinker, kind of surprised her by asking for black coffee and water.

PS. Who drinks black coffee at 10pm? Me, apparently…

Anywho, after take off, black coffee was served along with biscotti and some nuts. The biscotto was delicious. However shortly after the whole tray was a disaster since we’ve encountered some unexpected and rather bumpy turbulence.

Since FA’s were actually ordered by the captain to sit down and fasten their seatbelts, I had to gulp my black coffee before it went everywhere, not before spilling around the armrest area.

Shortly after captain gave the OK, they were extremely apologetic and quickly cleaned up the mess. Not their fault, really.

Dinner was then served:

Some bread, ginger soup, and ravioli. Delicious.

YVR-JFK Supper Menu F Cabin (Feel free to post them on TOBB btw)

Sleep wear made by PYE (use to be ST, Shanghai Tang), and travel kit by AESOP (Melbourne based company)

A lot of people seem to be complaining that the new sleepwear was actually worse than ST. I don’t know if it’s just me but I actually don't feel a difference. Rather comfy, actually.

By the way, you'll look like Kim Jong Un when you put them on.

I also had some good news to share with my fellow 3 F cabin mates. I couldn't sleep, thus spared them the joyous occasion of listening to my loud snoring throughout the 5-hour flight.

The flight crew was absolutely delightful, so nice, truly a 5 star airline experience. There are no words to express how well this flight was. Despite not being able to sleep, the service, seating quality, and bedding was just marvelous. Yes, it was no hotel bedding, but heck, this is really good for an airline seat!

I’d like to give a huge shout out to CX for their exceptional service and product offerings. I usually fly CX on their YVR-HKG routes, but this particular route has been added on my favorites list.

I would definitely find a chance to fly the YVR-HKG route in F cabin in the future.

Looking forward to flying with CX again in Y+ trans pacific ex-YVR to HKG in July!

Posted : February 15, 2015 10:53 am
Sammich
(@sammich)

CX First Class Lounge at YVR.
- Not a huge difference compared to their J lounge right beside. Probably slightly more food (a sandwich...seriously.), and some more expensive liquor.

Oh ya, Friends to burn time:

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2015 10:55 am
Sammich
(@sammich)

Forgot to mention that out of the 4 F pax in the cabin (including myself).

Only me and another pax ate dinner, other's went straight to sleep upon departure. So it was a pretty quiet flight.

The PYE pajamas comes with a gift tag (embedded in the product tag which you might throw away). If you take them to their PYE store in HK and the other few locations listed (all in China, I believe) You'll get a box of free handkerchiefs (a set) or 500 HKD discount of their products.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 15, 2015 10:58 am
NYBanker
(@nybanker)

Maybe if you didn't have a few cups of black coffee you could sleep better? 😉

Looks like a great flight! 🙂

Travel Blog - SitInFirst | A few Tweets
New Posts: Four Seasons NYC // Four Seasons Washington DC // Sanctuary Camelback // Tokyo Peninsula

[I">2016: [I">[I">Done: ORD, [I">PUJ, SAN, LAX, LAS, SLC, EGE, DEN, BOS, LHR, NRT, DCA, CLT, PHX [/I">[/I">On deck: ORD, MEM, CLT, YYG, MIA, PBI 2017: SXM[/I">
2015: PEK (x3), PVG (x3), DLC, CTU, NKG, XIY, ICN/GMP (x2), NRT/HND (x2), LAS, SLC, MCO, ORD (x2), GRR (x2), PHL (x2), IAD (x2), LHR, SAN (x2), LAX, MIA (x2), FLL, BOS, FLR, BDA, [I">[I">HKG, SEA, YYG, PBI (x2), SFO (x2), DCA, LAX, SEA, [/I">CDG, JNB, MQP, CPT, DXB[/I">
2014: LAS, SFO (x4), BOS (x3), MKE (x2), LHR, DTW (x2), YYG, CLT, MIA, FLL, PBI, DCA (x2), ORD, MSN, GRR, SEA, CLT, FLL, SNA, LIR [/I">

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2015 11:17 pm
Sammich
(@sammich)

NYBanker, post: 2557544, member: 1674 wrote: Maybe if you didn't have a few cups of black coffee you could sleep better? 😉

Looks like a great flight! 🙂

Black coffee doesn't keep me awake, surprisingly. I can't tell you how many times coffee actually put me to sleep :p

I tried out CX's signature HK style milk tea and their non alcoholic mix drink. Very good. The milk tea was on par with milk teas served by HK restaurants.

Nothing special on Studio CX for me to enjoy. Their IFE have always been great but I've seen most of the shows already 😛

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2015 11:32 pm