Forum

Chase Sapphire card...
 
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Chase Sapphire card -- where's my PIN?  

  RSS

whkento
(@whkento)
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 1499
June 18, 2017 1:08 am  

Hi, folks. I just got my new Chase Sapphire Preferred card with the IC. I have not, however, received any information regarding a PIN to be used with the card.
Most places where I use cards require the PIN. What should I do?

TIA,

Kento

JGC


Quote
mlmendoza
(@mlmendoza)
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 1
June 18, 2017 1:49 am  

Simple. Credit card don't need PIN, only debit or savings card needs PIN.


ReplyQuote
whkento
(@whkento)
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 1499
June 18, 2017 5:17 am  

mlmendoza, post: 2792891, member: 218769 wrote: Simple. Credit card don't need PIN, only debit or savings card needs PIN.

Well, thanks for your reply, but that's not the case in Japan and many other countries. The "chip and PIN" cards have the IC chip and require a PIN for activation (hence the moniker).
My card has the chip. Does it not require a PIN? If not, what do I tell the majority of merchants here when they ask for my PIN?

JGC


ReplyQuote
NYCUA1K
(@nycua1k)
Joined: 9 years ago
Posts: 4971
June 18, 2017 10:31 am  

whkento, post: 2792894, member: 3107 wrote:
My card has the chip. Does it not require a PIN? If not, what do I tell the majority of merchants here when they ask for my PIN?

A PIN is not required. If a merchant asks you for one, and it happens a lot overseas, just say it is not needed. The transaction will proceed smoothly.


ReplyQuote
satman40
(@satman40)
Joined: 7 years ago
Posts: 4851
June 18, 2017 3:01 pm  

Chase will send you another mailing with the pin, if you need you can call Chase and they will send you an email so you can set your pin.

I have never used a pin overseas, we do call Chase and give them out travel info dates and cities.

Attitude and Ability is everything, without Government Laws we would all be equal, until we are Influenced by others.


ReplyQuote
whkento
(@whkento)
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 1499
June 19, 2017 1:31 am  

Thank you for your replies. I will try to use it without the PIN and will report back.

JGC


ReplyQuote
markg
(@markg)
Joined: 3 years ago
Posts: 1
June 19, 2017 1:43 am  

There are two types of chip cards: chip and PIN and chip and SIGNATURE.
Chase Visa is a chip and signature, and they will not give you a pin.
if you do need it, which a TON of foreign places require, especially unmanned kiosks like train stations etc., you need to get a different credit card, such as a barclays one, who support both PIN and SIGNATURE.

you should be ok in Japan at any hotels, and maybe bars/restaurants, but you will have major issues at bus stations etc. that have ticket machines.

do what i do; keep the chase for the hotels (3x spend) and get a barclays for the PIN required purchases.


ReplyQuote
whkento
(@whkento)
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 1499
June 19, 2017 9:22 am  

markg, post: 2792975, member: 218986 wrote: There are two types of chip cards: chip and PIN and chip and SIGNATURE.
Chase Visa is a chip and signature, and they will not give you a pin.
if you do need it, which a TON of foreign places require, especially unmanned kiosks like train stations etc., you need to get a different credit card, such as a barclays one, who support both PIN and SIGNATURE.

you should be ok in Japan at any hotels, and maybe bars/restaurants, but you will have major issues at bus stations etc. that have ticket machines.

do what i do; keep the chase for the hotels (3x spend) and get a barclays for the PIN required purchases.

I see. I didn't even know that there were chip and signature cards.:rolleyes:
I have a JAL card that will cover the chip and PIN transactions.

Thanks for the clarification.:)

JGC


ReplyQuote
Zomby Woof
(@zomby-woof)
Silver
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 349
June 23, 2017 10:30 pm  

It sucks that the CSP and CSR are not chip and pin.

Didja ever wake up in the mornin' with a zomby woof behind your eyes?


ReplyQuote
whkento
(@whkento)
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 1499
June 25, 2017 1:18 am  

So I've used the card a couple of times at merchants that (usually) require PINs. When the time came to enter the PIN, it just printed out a paper for the signature. The merchants looked stunned, but I simply signed and everything was fine. 😉

JGC


ReplyQuote
whkento
(@whkento)
Joined: 10 years ago
Posts: 1499
June 25, 2017 1:19 am  

Thanks for all the replies, by the way. 🙂

JGC


ReplyQuote