Forum

AutoSlash featured ...
 
Share:

AutoSlash featured in the NY Times Business Section  

  RSS
AutoSlash
(@autoslash)
Silver

A Rate Sleuth That Makes Rental Car Companies Squirm

AutoSlash.com -- We automatically slash your rental rates!
Automatically apply the best discounts, track your car rental rates, and rebook when they drop!
See how our pricing monkeys continually slash your rates! -- AutoSlash on ConcourseZ

Quote
Posted : February 17, 2012 8:26 pm
craz
 craz
(@craz)
Silver

any chance that this exposure among others is what caused the companys to stop working with you, when AS wasnt being splashed all over they might have felt there was a limit to what theyd lose, once it gets out there their % goes thru the roof

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2012 3:07 pm
AutoSlash
(@autoslash)
Silver

It's likely that the increased media exposure caused a number of companies to take a closer look at AutoSlash.

AutoSlash.com -- We automatically slash your rental rates!
Automatically apply the best discounts, track your car rental rates, and rebook when they drop!
See how our pricing monkeys continually slash your rates! -- AutoSlash on ConcourseZ

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2012 3:37 pm
mtlfire
(@mtlfire)

You would think the exposure would have helped and driven more business to those that participate. Even if the prices were lower -- if the car was just going to sit on the lot anyways... you would think they would appreciate the extra business as it would likely bring in clients that would have not normally booked with them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2012 10:34 am
craz
 craz
(@craz)
Silver

mtlfire, post: 1320685, member: 22053 wrote: You would think the exposure would have helped and driven more business to those that participate. Even if the prices were lower -- if the car was just going to sit on the lot anyways... you would think they would appreciate the extra business as it would likely bring in clients that would have not normally booked with them.

the other side is since most people would make a res and not keep rechecking if it dropped,would end up paying more then they could have so Hertz+ are happy.

If they were able to make it that the drop would Only be a 1 time thing and for someone who didnt already have a res then maybe theyd play ball. But they were watching their profits go down as AS would rebook everyone

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2012 1:30 pm
mtlfire
(@mtlfire)

craz, post: 1320775, member: 10057 wrote: the other side is since most people would make a res and not keep rechecking if it dropped,would end up paying more then they could have so Hertz+ are happy.

If they were able to make it that the drop would Only be a 1 time thing and for someone who didnt already have a res then maybe theyd play ball. But they were watching their profits go down as AS would rebook everyone

Profits are only going down if you intended to book with Hertz to begin with. If it brought in new customers, or stole reservations from a competitor because you would 5$ cheaper then I think it would have its advantages.

If its largely people like me, that booked with Hertz either way, then you'd be completely right. But I think my loyalty is largely the exception and not the rule.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2012 2:45 pm
AutoSlash
(@autoslash)
Silver

mtlfire, post: 1320863, member: 22053 wrote: Profits are only going down if you intended to book with Hertz to begin with. If it brought in new customers, or stole reservations from a competitor because you would 5$ cheaper then I think it would have its advantages.

If its largely people like me, that booked with Hertz either way, then you'd be completely right. But I think my loyalty is largely the exception and not the rule.

As this discussion shows, there are many nuances to this issue. AutoSlash has always believed that our model has more benefits than downsides for the car rental companies. It's unfortunate that they don't feel the same way.

Change can be disruptive. It can make established players nervous. We get that. We also get that the response to our service over the past two years has been overwhelmingly positive from consumers. Clearly that is a sign that we are on the right path. We do not intend to let this setback keep us from providing this valuable service to consumers. We look forward to launching a new and improved service that we hope will be even more beneficial to consumers over the long term.

AutoSlash.com -- We automatically slash your rental rates!
Automatically apply the best discounts, track your car rental rates, and rebook when they drop!
See how our pricing monkeys continually slash your rates! -- AutoSlash on ConcourseZ

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2012 2:57 pm
craz
 craz
(@craz)
Silver

mtlfire, post: 1320863, member: 22053 wrote: Profits are only going down if you intended to book with Hertz to begin with. If it brought in new customers, or stole reservations from a competitor because you would 5$ cheaper then I think it would have its advantages.

If its largely people like me, that booked with Hertz either way, then you'd be completely right. But I think my loyalty is largely the exception and not the rule.

I may be 1 of the few that didnt mind and doesnt mind booking with the likes of Fox or EZWay etc as long as the savings are there. I just want the cheapest price for the type of car and I didnt care if it meant 2 shuttles or going off airport .Of cause if it was only a buck or 2 it didnt pay but usually it was alot more then that

Its always great to have another option for trying to save some $$ even if in the end a res I made on my own was cheaper, the next time AS might have been cheaper

Alamo/National/Enterprise (all 1 company) didnt play . Could be the others spoke about it to each other and agreed 1 by 1 each would drop out , cant do it all at once least the Feds get involved. that way they didnt ahve to worry about lossing teh customers to the others as there wasnt any others except the no-name swhich were alreday well below them rate wise and not really their competition

Just got to hope that AS can put something together whereby tehy wont know its AS behind it

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2012 5:48 pm