Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Trip report from the 787  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Wandering Aramean
(@wandering-aramean)

Day three of scheduled service and I got my chance to fly. It was a lot of fun; great atmosphere surrounding the flight and LOTS of others on the plane with cameras out to document the event.

[media=youtube]uYfd6DbDqZY[/media]

Overall the cabin was quite comfortable and I mostly enjoyed it. The rainbow light scheme is a bit trippy, which can be good or bad, depending on your point of view.


Only minor quibble is that there was a high pitched whine going on the whole flight. One friend has suggested it is related to the LED lights. That could be annoying if it is a long-term issue. But overall a great experience.

Read more (and more photos) here and here.

Wandering Aramean | Twitter | Travel Tools | World Heritage Sites | Trip Reports

Quote
Posted : November 4, 2011 7:34 am
rwoman
(@rwoman)

Wandering Aramean,

THANKS for sharing! 🙂

That rainbow light scheme does look a bit weird...;)

Using(DM) and (EXP) to go places! ~ [SIZE=2"> ~ ~ Gold[/SIZE">
DL 764's flown since Oct. 1, 2011: N825MH, N826MH, N829MH, N830MH, N831MH, N832MH, N833MH, N835MH, N836MH, N837MH, N838MH, N839MH, N841MH, N842MH, N843MH, N844MH, N845MH (4 more to go)
Where IS Floyd the Flamingo? 😎

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2011 9:32 am
ACMM
 ACMM
(@acmm)

Great video - thanks for doing and sharing ! Enjoyed it! 🙂

ACMM at your service! I am an Elite and Million Mile member and [B">HH Diamond[/B">

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2011 11:32 am
Scottrick
(@scottrick)

The whine is not good news. I am stil young enough to hear the high-pitched noise from some televisions, computers, and other electronics. It can be very annoying. But although I've tracked down these whines to lots of different things, I don't think I've ever found LED lights to be the cause. My finger would be on the IFE.

Check out my blog: TravelCodex.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2011 1:39 pm
yaffa
(@yaffa)
Silver

I wonder whether it is possible to fully raise the arm rest in the middle of the '4' section or if there is a fixed part which would prevent turning the four seats into a cuddle class like experience.

My Openflights map - Visting BER/TXL? PM me! - http://wormulon.net/

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2011 3:41 pm
Wandering Aramean
(@wandering-aramean)

I forgot to check the center armrest (and I really meant to).

The whine is worrisome to me. I hope it is just a one-off or something about that flight, not overall.

Wandering Aramean | Twitter | Travel Tools | World Heritage Sites | Trip Reports

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2011 9:22 pm
HaveMilesWillTravel
(@havemileswilltravel)

Wandering Aramean, post: 903858 wrote:

The whine is worrisome to me. I hope it is just a one-off or something about that flight, not overall.

I can't imagine that the Boeing guys would have shipped it with this as a standard "feature".

Then again, Apple shipped the iPhone 4 with an antenna design flaw and the 4S (or rather iOS5) with a battery problem, so what do I know...

I don't always drink beer, but when I do I will certainly NOT drink Bud Light.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2011 9:34 pm
Wandering Aramean
(@wandering-aramean)

Was just talking with someone else about the whine who was on it the day prior and he noticed it, too. Most of the noise testing was likely done before the interior was fully fitted because it was focused on exterior noise coming in to the cabin. If the noise is from the IFE or the lighting system (it did keep going after the engines shut down) then it might not have been part of the main testing initially versus something that came about later.

Wandering Aramean | Twitter | Travel Tools | World Heritage Sites | Trip Reports

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2011 10:31 pm
HaveMilesWillTravel
(@havemileswilltravel)

Wandering Aramean, post: 903924 wrote: Most of the noise testing was likely done before the interior was fully fitted because it was focused on exterior noise coming in to the cabin. If the noise is from the IFE or the lighting system (it did keep going after the engines shut down) then it might not have been part of the main testing initially versus something that came about later.

or as we'd say in enterprise software... let the customer do the integration testing in production 🙂

I don't always drink beer, but when I do I will certainly NOT drink Bud Light.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 4, 2011 10:37 pm
Lufthansa Flyer
(@lufthansa-flyer)

Wandering Aramean, post: 903858 wrote: I forgot to check the center armrest (and I really meant to).

The whine is worrisome to me. I hope it is just a one-off or something about that flight, not overall.

What about the window size? Noticeable enhancement? Dimming work as advertised?
Not sure if you hand a window seat but was curious.

www.LufthansaFlyer.com[URL='http://www.aero-shots.com'] & www.Aero-Shots.com[/URL]

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2011 2:03 am
arkleseizure
(@arkleseizure)
Silver

Excellent write up...thanks for the feedback. Can't wait to get on one too.

...just 599k more AA miles to go to 2MM... 😳 😮

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2011 3:34 am
MLW20
(@mlw20)

Wandering Aramean, post: 902328 wrote: Day three of scheduled service and I got my chance to fly. It was a lot of fun; great atmosphere surrounding the flight and LOTS of others on the plane with cameras out to document the event.

[media=youtube]uYfd6DbDqZY[/media]

Overall the cabin was quite comfortable and I mostly enjoyed it. The rainbow light scheme is a bit trippy, which can be good or bad, depending on your point of view.


Only minor quibble is that there was a high pitched whine going on the whole flight. One friend has suggested it is related to the LED lights. That could be annoying if it is a long-term issue. But overall a great experience.

Read more (and more photos) here and here.

I read the post on your blog too- nice job! However from what you described for the coach seat dropdown instead of recline- I took a flight on Cathay a couple of years ago which i think had the same thing. It seemed great at first but was extremely uncomfortable!

Gold Ruby
Check out my blog- MichaelWTravels

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2011 3:51 am
Wandering Aramean
(@wandering-aramean)

744, post: 904254 wrote: What about the window size? Noticeable enhancement? Dimming work as advertised?
Not sure if you hand a window seat but was curious.

I did have a window seat and it was quite obvious how large the windows are. I put my elbow at the bottom of the window and could barely reach the top with my finger tips. It is huge. Being a night flight it isn't clear just what the impact of that extra space is other than more darkness outside, but I can imagine it will be significantly better. The dimmer was a bit sluggish in response but it did dim and un-dim as advertised.

MLW20, post: 904403 wrote: I read the post on your blog too- nice job! However from what you described for the coach seat dropdown instead of recline- I took a flight on Cathay a couple of years ago which i think had the same thing. It seemed great at first but was extremely uncomfortable!

I didn't find them uncomfortable (and the UA 772 new config I had last night was similar, too) but if you are taller than ~5' 8" then it could be a problem for your knees when you recline.

Wandering Aramean | Twitter | Travel Tools | World Heritage Sites | Trip Reports

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2011 6:53 am
Nogbad
(@nogbad)
Silver

yaffa, post: 903390 wrote: I wonder whether it is possible to fully raise the arm rest in the middle of the '4' section or if there is a fixed part which would prevent turning the four seats into a cuddle class like experience.

You can raise both the middle armrests on the new ANA Y 777 cabins, which are the same seats (although 2-4-3 configuration), so I would imagine these would be the same.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2011 2:12 pm
irrawaddy
(@irrawaddy)
Silver

Aramean,

How was the air quality/pressure? Was it noticeably better?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2011 9:45 pm
Page 1 / 2