Forum

Share:
Notifications

AA reducing pitch to 29 inches in some rows of 737 MAX  

RSS
mre5765
(@mre5765)
Silver

http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/American-Airlines-is-decreasing-legroom-in-11116541.php

I'm pretty sure a 6'1" I won't fit.

Good lord, Parker is evil. Does he want re-regulation? Because this is how you get re-regulation.

Executive Platinum Lifetime Premier Gold Gold Gold

Posted : May 3, 2017 7:53 am
Pizzaman
(@pizzaman)
Admin

Unfortunately, AA won't be the only airline to do this. It's probably fine with the new slimline seats, but it's going to make boarding/deplaning that much longer with more seats, more bags, etc.

I don't have much to say, but you can usually find me saying it here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2017 8:57 am
Wandering Aramean
(@wandering-aramean)

[MEDIA=twitter]859552761410711553[/MEDIA]

That's me in 28" pitch last month at a trade show. Wouldn't kill me for a mid-con or shorter. Mildly uncomfortable for a transcon IMO.

Wandering Aramean | Twitter | Travel Tools | World Heritage Sites | Trip Reports

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2017 10:28 am
HaveMilesWillTravel
(@havemileswilltravel)

mre5765, post: 2788873, member: 137418 wrote: http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/American-Airlines-is-decreasing-legroom-in-11116541.php

I'm pretty sure a 6'1" I won't fit.

Good lord, Parker is evil. Does he want re-regulation? Because this is how you get re-regulation.

Spirit has 28" pitch according to seatguru. Millions of people fly them, no one has called for re-regulation because of that.

Mind you, I have never set foot on a Spirit plane.

Pizzaman, post: 2788877, member: 24 wrote: Unfortunately, AA won't be the only airline to do this. It's probably fine with the new slimline seats, but it's going to make boarding/deplaning that much longer with more seats, more bags, etc.

How much of a difference is that going to make? Presumably they are filling those seats with basic economy tickets.

Wandering Aramean, post: 2788880, member: 23 wrote: [MEDIA=twitter]859552761410711553[/MEDIA]

That's me in 28" pitch last month at a trade show. Wouldn't kill me for a mid-con or shorter. Mildly uncomfortable for a transcon IMO.

But how tall/short are you, and do you have long or short legs?

I am sure the model from this thread would comfortably fit into the seat, too

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1839357-woman-ua-website-photo-really-small-did-they-make-her-look-small.html

I don't always drink beer, but when I do I will certainly NOT drink Bud Light.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2017 1:54 pm
Wandering Aramean
(@wandering-aramean)

HaveMilesWillTravel, post: 2788902, member: 648 wrote: But how tall/short are you, and do you have long or short legs?

5'11"/195#. Inseam is 30-32" depending on the cut of the pants.

Wandering Aramean | Twitter | Travel Tools | World Heritage Sites | Trip Reports

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2017 2:22 pm
mre5765
(@mre5765)
Silver

Wandering Aramean, post: 2788880, member: 23 wrote: [MEDIA=twitter]859552761410711553[/MEDIA]

You can fit in an overhead bin; without it crashing onto the floor. Me, not so much.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2017 3:39 pm
mre5765
(@mre5765)
Silver

HaveMilesWillTravel, post: 2788902, member: 648 wrote: Spirit has 28" pitch according to seatguru. Millions of people fly them, no one has called for re-regulation because of that.

Mind you, I have never set foot on a Spirit plane.

Exactly. I don't know anyone who flies Spirit. So I assume hobbits and other deviants from the physical norm for Americans fly them.

AA carries non-deviants.

I'd forgotten how slim seats are getting in the back (I don't fly in the back much; I'm too old). Maybe it will be OK. I think I better diet when I retire.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2017 3:42 pm
HaveMilesWillTravel
(@havemileswilltravel)

mre5765, post: 2789015, member: 137418 wrote: Exactly. I don't know anyone who flies Spirit. So I assume hobbits and other deviants from the physical norm for Americans fly them.

AA carries non-deviants.

I know some people who fly Spirit. Or WN. Or Frontier. They are flexible in their travel times, primarily care about price, are at times bad at math (not figuring out the all-in price), don't care at all about loyalty programs and fly maybe 1-2 RTs a year.

Pay attention to the UA or AA BPs as people go through the gate reader at a random non-hub airport. I was always amazed by how many of them didn't show a loyalty program number. People were throwing away money, I thought. But ultimately, if you travel 1-2 times a year, the mental effort to keep up with loyalty programs (expiration, track logins, ...) just simply isn't worth it. Those people don't get an AA or UA credit card, they use whatever no-fee card their bank or credit union gives them and if they care about rewards at all, they should probably go for 2% cash back cards.

I'd forgotten how slim seats are getting in the back (I don't fly in the back much; I'm too old). Maybe it will be OK. I think I better diet when I retire.

Good plan anyway (and more time should allow for more exercise and better food selection, thus it may not have to be a pure diet).

The good thing is that virtually all my travel is voluntary and flexible (as far as carrier or routing is concerned). So I can avoid these experiences or buy MCE/E+.

The problem is that the next step might just be to squeeze MCE/E+ now that the differentiator between those seats and E- is increasing. 32" MCE might soon be the new standard.

I don't always drink beer, but when I do I will certainly NOT drink Bud Light.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2017 4:01 pm
mre5765
(@mre5765)
Silver

HaveMilesWillTravel, post: 2789019, member: 648 wrote: I know some people who fly Spirit. Or WN. Or Frontier.

Well WN is a major. Frontier a major regional. Spirit is just a ghost.

HaveMilesWillTravel, post: 2789019, member: 648 wrote:
The problem is that the next step might just be to squeeze MCE/E+ now that the differentiator between those seats and E- is increasing. 32" MCE might soon be the new standard.

Yes. People best schedule an operation to remove some bone from their legs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2017 4:27 pm