Forum

Share:
Notifications

Air Canada is dumping Aeroplan in 2020  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Wandering Aramean
(@wandering-aramean)

Sure, the two companies still have three years to renegotiate the divorce, but as of now it appears that Air Canada is set to launch its own program internally again, a decade after spinning loyalty off into a separate company.

http://blog.wandr.me/2017/05/air-canada-dumping-aeroplan-2020/?utm_source=IF&utm_medium=WA-IF&utm_campaign=20549
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/frequent-flyer.html

Wandering Aramean | Twitter | Travel Tools | World Heritage Sites | Trip Reports

Posted : May 11, 2017 11:38 am
YULtide
(@yultide)

I predict difficulty redeeming miles over the next three years as people start using up their stash. And of course AC will benefit by selling reward seats.

Tons of obvious questions that I presume will be answered piecemeal. Will have to watch progress carefully.

Thanks for the tip.

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 12:11 pm
The Lev
(@the-lev)
Silver

I agree with YULtide that there will be a rash of redemptions over the next three years. Will be interesting to see how AC managed IKK - I suspect there will be a lot of upset holders of big point balances.

If you have any aeroplan miles in your account after June, 2020, I am expecting them to only be redeemable at sometyhing like today's "Market Fares" with Classic going away - or of course there are always toasters.

On their Facebook page AC assured that they would "do right by me" - should I hold my breath?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 12:21 pm
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

Darn, here and I just ordered a couple of toasters from Toasterplan.

Also (and maybe this is coincidental?) spent three days last week in an online Aeroplan focus-group looking at possible changes to the Aeroplan monthly online newsletter. Focus-group process was moderately entertaining, but the proferred online newsletter was boring and amateurish.

Nature abhors straight lines, and is not the artifice of a cosmic draftsman.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 1:43 pm
YULtide
(@yultide)

So they say there will be lots of enhancements. What would people around here like to see in the new programme?

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 8:23 pm
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

Well, if 'enhancements' has the meaning usually ascribed to the word by Air Canada, how about none at all.

Seriously, though, I'd like to see IKK rendered more functional. The R-games are **so** tiresome.

I'd also like to see a carry-over of the (very functional) Altitude dashboard into the new programme. And, for that matter, I claim dibs on naming the new programme 'Altitude'.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2017 8:40 pm
canucklehead
(@canucklehead)

Problem I see is will people want to continue earning Aeroplan points now til 2020. I think i am gonna look to earn them on united and start afresh in 2020 with the new program (unless they continue fuel overcharges)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using InsideFlyer mobile app

Milepoint Kiva Lending Team - helping people around the world!

Oh yeah, and I like to travel.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 12, 2017 3:32 am
YULtide
(@yultide)

canucklehead, post: 2789748, member: 585 wrote: Problem I see is will people want to continue earning Aeroplan points now til 2020. I think i am gonna look to earn them on united and start afresh in 2020 with the new program (unless they continue fuel overcharges)

Except elites who want to maintain status won't have this option, of course. Redeeming miles rather than using revenue tickets may cause some to drop a level in elite status as well. Lots of angles to this transition.

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 12, 2017 11:48 am
canucklehead
(@canucklehead)

YULtide, post: 2789783, member: 41786 wrote: Except elites who want to maintain status won't have this option, of course. Redeeming miles rather than using revenue tickets may cause some to drop a level in elite status as well. Lots of angles to this transition.

Very true. As I am not chasing Altitude, this trouble s me less but do see it causing headaches.

Milepoint Kiva Lending Team - helping people around the world!

Oh yeah, and I like to travel.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 12, 2017 4:32 pm
Wandering Aramean
(@wandering-aramean)

YULtide, post: 2789783, member: 41786 wrote: Except elites who want to maintain status won't have this option, of course. Redeeming miles rather than using revenue tickets may cause some to drop a level in elite status as well. Lots of angles to this transition.

Yeah...the 2020 transition, particularly in the middle of the calendar/status year, is going to suck.

Wandering Aramean | Twitter | Travel Tools | World Heritage Sites | Trip Reports

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 12, 2017 6:02 pm
YULtide
(@yultide)

Wandering Aramean, post: 2789803, member: 23 wrote: Yeah...the 2020 transition, particularly in the middle of the calendar/status year, is going to suck.

The mid-year transition won't be a problem because of the existing separation between Altitude and Aeroplan.

The problem will be people who replace revenue travel with reward travel over the next three years to use up their miles. The risk there is not enough revenue miles to maintain status.

No worries for someone who flies 200,000 miles per year. They can shift to rewards after the first 100k and maintain status. But someone who flies, say, 80,000 miles per year and wants to use up some miles risks dropping from E75K to E50K or, worse, E35K. Similarly, someone who flies just over 100k miles per year risks dropping from SE100K down to E75K or lower. That's a big drop.

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 12, 2017 11:54 pm
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

Aw, shucks. I survived (and have, in fact, thrived) after dropping from 100K to 25K all at once. It's not the end of the world, and it doesn't even qualify as a moderate-level First World problem.

Behaviourally, rememptions have never replaced my accustomed journeys (at least not in recent years), but it has been more a matter of thinking, "hey! I have a long weekend! I think I'll hop a J-flight to New York or London!" and then just doing it.

Granted that my experience may be a true edge case, it's still a valid way to argue that redemptions need not displace earnings.

Have a good day, everyone, and enjoy the spring/fall flying weather!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 13, 2017 1:43 pm
YULtide
(@yultide)

Yes, you make several good points, mevlannen. Dropping down as far as E50K would hardly be a hardship.

As for long weekends, in my business they are few and far between.

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 13, 2017 3:23 pm
londoncalling
(@londoncalling)
Silver

You got that right. People want status so won't fool with the current formula and will hope for the best in 2020. I should be only a leisure traveller by then.

lifetime MM: 3,221,106.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2017 2:51 am
YULtide
(@yultide)

londoncalling, post: 2789916, member: 169980 wrote: You got that right. people want status so won't fool with the current formula and will hope fro the best in 2020. I should be only a leisure traveller by then.

And by the look of your signature, you'll be lifetime SE long before then, so you can use up your miles without worrying about loss of status.

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Page 1 / 2