The Lev
(@the-lev)
Silver

Enjoy Christmas in London!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 23, 2018 8:54 pm
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

Opted for the 'give 50K to Darling Spouse' and '50 e-ups' options, as they seemed the most kindly-minded and useful. Am thinking that, at some point in the coming 14 months, I might be able to use those e-ups to send Darling Spouse on a front-cabin trip to visit the nieces and nephews Down East.

So, looking at Altitude dashboard: all zeroed-out again. Have 15 segs booked for between now and Feb 15th. Don't actually expect to make it beyond 50K this year as retirement really does suggest slowing-down a wee bit.

On t'other hand, the Vancouver concierge was **so** proactively helpful when IRROPS struck just before Longest Night last year. Airplane made it to YVR but that was as far as it wanted to go, so was most grateful that the concierge could park me overnight at the Fairmont (best breakfast ever, and when all the dust settled, the room and the food cost me $1.30 in total, that being made up of part of my breakfast tip that AC didn't cover on their lovely meal voucher).

Nature abhors straight lines, and is not the artifice of a cosmic draftsman.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 3, 2019 1:04 pm
YULtide and Parnel2 liked
YULtide
(@yultide)

Finally made it back today. It took several attempts at password resets and finally got my account reset at the other end.

Another year ahead at SE level. No travels planned until March, so I will have to make up for lost time.

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2019 10:43 pm
mevlannen and The Lev liked
Parnel2
(@parnel2)

Welcome back. I gave up and opened a new account; it was just that much simpler. By the end of March I will be at 48K. I am really trying to slow it down and will be lucky to hit 100K but I don't really need to get there with my L/T status    

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 10, 2019 7:18 pm
YULtide liked
Parnel2
(@parnel2)

Welcome back. I gave up and opened a new account; it was just that much simpler. By the end of March I will be at 48K. I am really trying to slow it down and will be lucky to hit 100K but I don't really need to get there with my L/T status    

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 10, 2019 7:18 pm
mevlannen liked
The Lev
(@the-lev)
Silver

I'll probably be at 70K by the end of March (including 15K generous head start from AC). 

As usual my challenge will be AQD not AQM, but should hit the mark again this year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 11, 2019 3:32 pm
Parnel2 and YULtide liked
Parnel2
(@parnel2)

15K head start from AC?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 13, 2019 4:46 am
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

Hi, Londoncalling!

Where do you stay when you are in London? I haven't been over there in quite some while, so reckon that I ought ask someone with more recent experience.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2019 10:54 am
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

AQD are the hard part, and from the point of view of someone who pays out-of-pocket for much of her travel, the accumulation of AQD is a perverse incentive to nominal 'status'. Make that the moreso when one considers that only a portion of the ticket price is counted towards AQD.

Might make 50K this year, as I had a stroke (I'm feeling notably better already!) at the end of January, and that knocked me off my usual frequency and extent of travel.

Cheers,

Elane

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2019 10:57 am
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

Oh, yes, lost time, indeed.

Owing to the need to stay close to doctors and doctoring in February, I cancelled 12 flights, a couple of them transcons.

And now, starting to travel again, I am starting to worry more about the risks of deep vein thrombosis. I am in mind of looking up some statistics, but right away the ever-declining seat pitches cannot be beneficial to travellers' well-being.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2019 11:02 am
YULtide
(@yultide)

Oh my! Please be well!

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2019 9:10 pm
YULtide
(@yultide)

I don't go to London as often as London calling! But I will be there next month and will be staying near Blackfriars. It all depends on what you prefer and where you want to be. I stick to Accor properties as much as possible. It works nicely with Platinum status.

FWIW, a few years ago Mrs Y and I stayed at Sanctuary House over a pub near Westminster Abbey, and I remember it as reasonably priced and comfortable.

Insert signature here

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2019 9:16 pm
Parnel2
(@parnel2)

My grandchildren might appreciate you as a guest as that is where we usually stay. However, when we do stay in a hotel, the Intercontinental London right at Hyde park and Piccadilly is our favourite.  We sometimes also stay a little closer to our kids and there is a Crown Plaza in Battersea that is on the Thames, a little way from the centre of things but a former very high end boutique hotel right beside a helicopter port where all YOU 🙂 rich people land and get picked up by a Limo. The hotel is no longer a high end place but is sufficiently nice and believe it or not quiet as the place was designed to be beside the heliport. If you let me know what part of central London you want to stay in I know of hotels in several areas as we have been travelling there 3/4 times a year since 2005. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Parnel2
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 5, 2019 1:18 am
Parnel2
(@parnel2)

Wow. Hope you are improving and getting back to full health. If, at the end of this year you are @50K you might ask AC for a waiver, based on your medical issue. and keep your current status. They do it for others who stop travelling for a period while becoming a parent. I think a serious medical situation should get equal attention.    

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 5, 2019 1:26 am
mevlannen liked
mevlannen
(@mevlannen)

Londoncalling:

Just last night arrived in YVR from YYZ, segment no.60, and this morning it is no.61 off across the Salish Sea and homeward bound. Supsect that there shall be no issue with requalling.

Incidentally, an unpublished SE benefit (actually a beneficial one, not a penny-pinching 'enhancement') is the ability to drop baggage at T minus (>4 hours). Did that last night in YYZ and it made going for supper at St Hubert Swiss Chalet in Domestic concourse much easier,

Day's pleasance to you, and unto all who read this note.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 18, 2019 10:55 am
YULtide and Parnel2 liked
Page 2 / 3