If you are able to position yourself to rent a car from much of the eastern United States — such as New York or Boston, for example — and drive it to Atlanta and eleven destinations in Florida this fall, how does a rental rate of as low as $9.95 per day one way sound to you?
Hertz has this offer in effect right now for six originating rental car locations — with more locations to be added in October and November. You can rent a vehicle — economy car class through full size car class groups as well as convertibles — for up to a maximum period of 14 consecutive days.
Details of this Offer Per Day
Keep in mind that only select classes of cars which are available for this offer will actually start at a rental rate of $9.99 per day and is not similar to the offers of some rental car companies where that flat rate is applicable to more or all eligible classes of cars.
For the example shown on the right of renting a car for four days on a one-way trip from New York to Tampa, the rate of $9.99 per day applies to economy and compact car classes — as well as something known as a “managers special” where the class of car is a mystery. Your total cost for the rental — including all taxes and fees but no options — is $56.05 for four days.
If you want a larger vehicle, be prepared to pay such rates as $11.99 per day for vehicles in the intermediate car class and $15.99 per day for vehicles in the full size car class — which are still good rates; but they are not $9.99 per day.
Also keep in mind that although this special discount is valid through Saturday, December 10, 2016, not all origination rental car locations have the same start date.
Pick Up Locations
You can pick up your vehicle at the following locations as of right now through Saturday, December 10, 2016:
- Albany International Airport (ALB) – Albany, NY
- Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF) – Buffalo, NY
- Charleston Yeager Airport (CRW) – Charleston, WV
- Islip MacArthur Airport (ISP) – Islip, NY
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) – Philadelphia, PA
- Portland Maine International Jetport (PWM) – Portland, ME
- TF Green Airport (PVD) – Providence, RI
You can pick up your vehicle at the following locations starting on Sunday, October 9, 2016 through Saturday, December 10, 2016:
- Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) – Baltimore, MD
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) – Boston, MA
- Bradley International Airport (BDL) – Hartford, CT
- Burlington Airport (BTV) – Burlington, VT
- Dulles international Airport (IAD) – Dulles, VA
- New York City JFK Airport (JFK) – New York City, NY
- New York City LaGuardia Airport (LGA) – New York City, NY
- Newark International Airport (EWR) – Newark, NJ
- Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) – Pittsburgh, PA
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) – Raleigh, NC
- Richmond International Airport (RIC) – Richmond, VA
- Rochester International Airport (ROC) – Rochester, NY
- Syracuse Hancock Airport (SYR) – Syracuse, NY
- Westchester County Airport (HPN) – White Plains, NY
- Washington National Airport (DCA) – Washington, DC
You can pick up your vehicle at the following locations starting on Sunday, November 27, 2016 through Saturday, December 10, 2016:
- Charleston International Airport (CHS) – Charleston, SC
- Norfolk Airport Counter (ORF) – Norfolk, VA
- Roanoke Regional Airport (ROA) – Roanoke, VA
Drop Off Locations
You can drop off your vehicle at the following locations by Saturday, December 10, 2016:
- Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport (ATL) – Atlanta, GA
- Daytona Airport (DAB) – Daytona Beach, FL
- Ft. Lauderdale International Airport (FLL) – Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Fort Myers Southwest International Airport (RSW) – Ft. Myers, FL
- Melbourne International Airport (MLB) – Melbourne, FL
- Miami International Airport (MIA) – Miami, FL
- Naples Airport (APF) – Naples, FL
- Orlando International Airport (MCO) – Orlando, FL
- Palm Beach International Airport (PBI) – West Palm Beach, FL
- Sarasota Bradenton Airport (SRQ) – Sarasota, FL
- St. Petersburg Clearwater Airport (PIE) – St. Petersburg, FL
- Tampa International Airport (TPA) – Tampa, FL
Terms and Conditions
Vehicle pick up locations subject to change; contact Hertz for details. Not all vehicles, vehicle equipment and services are available at all locations. Rate is subject to increase or fees may apply in the event of early or late returns of vehicles. Advertised rate applies to time and mileage charges only. These are not included in the discount. Various taxes, concession recovery fees, vehicle license recovery fee, customer facility charges may apply and are extra; and optional charges may apply.
Offers may not be available during holiday and other blackout periods; and rate surcharges during peak periods may apply.
This offer is subject to vehicle availability at the time of reservation and may not be available on some rates at some times.
Renter must meet Hertz age, driver, credit and qualifying rate requirements of the renting location. Minimum age may vary by location. An additional daily surcharge may apply for renters under 25 years old.
This offer has no cash value and may not be used with Pre-Pay Rates, Tour Rates, Insurance Replacement Rates or Hourly Rentals; and cannot be combined with any other certificate, voucher, offer or promotion.
Rates are based on United States currency.
Other terms and conditions may apply.
At the time this article was written, Hertz and Budget Rent A Car — whose deal only lasts through Monday, October 31, 2016 — seem to be the only car rental companies which offers these special rates, but if the past is any indication, do not be surprised if other car rental companies eventually offer similar deals on renting cars and driving them to Florida one way.
If you can manage this to work in your favor, this deal can save you a significant amount of money on renting a car — provided that you have a way to travel in the opposite direction in a manner which will not cost a lot of money or time.
Photograph ©2007 by Brian Cohen.